Good (free) dictionary apps?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by TheSinMuffin, Oct 12, 2008.

1. TheSinMuffin

TheSinMuffin Member

Oct 12, 2008
    I found WeDict, but the definitions are not adequate. Any one find something else to replace it?

2. ReformatPlanet

ReformatPlanet Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Film Producer
    NJ/NY
    I would be interested in a good dictionary app in general, pay or free. I was thinking you could use stanza with a dictionary loaded, but something more streamlined and efficient would be better.

3. TheSinMuffin

TheSinMuffin Member

Oct 12, 2008
    I tried. The only one was a welsh-english dictionary.

4. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I've been looking for one too. A paid app wouldn't be a problem either.

I keep finding that dictionaries that look good are always missing something important, usually pronunciation. The ones that have it generally get bad reviews for having poor or wrong definitions. I haven't bought one yet, but a good recommendation would probably decide for me at this point.

5. YS Software

YS Software Member

Oct 12, 2008
    Yes.

I was about to open the same thread.
    It would be really important to find a good dictionary apps.
    Looking forward for that.

6. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    If you have a jailbroken device there are repositories that have plugins for wedict. The plugins give it use of the big name dictionaries as well. If free is what you are looking at you might want to try that

7. different

different Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    I think Apple would provide a dictionary eventually. There are a few built into OS X, so it would make sense to provide some kind of support for the iPhone.

I reckon that this is on their low priority list, unfortunately.

8. WordBook I think is the best for the price. Has pronunciation and origins of words and many examples. Even has a thesaurus and yes it's OFFLINE not online crap. It's usually $8...I got it on sale for $5 and think it's worth it. Currently on sale for $2 so you can't go wrong. No I'm not gonna compare it to $30 dictionary apps either.

9. DukeofAnkh

DukeofAnkh Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Melbourne
    Shouldn't this be in the apps section?

I have Dictionaire, but it has the same problem with shallow translations. I saw an Oxford Dictionary in the store for ~$30 (AU) but I'm not sure I care enough to pay that much. After all, if I'm desperate for a proper definition, there's always www.askoxford.com.

Opening Dictionaire up just now, it seems an update has improved it, and I guess it's pretty good for free/ad supported. Maybe give it a go and see if it's good enough? (I don't think it is, but I don't know what your needs are.)

10. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Look at the date it was created. People just gotta stop reviving the dead, it's not cool anymore...
    I have this thing called Dictionary (that's the name of the app). I got it when it was free. It has a thesaurus and pronunciation guide. I hardly use it but still...

11. field5

field5 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2008
    I have the concise english dictionaryand I like it but I just use it for basic dictionary ....it got good reviews too on itunes and it's on sale now for .99

12. gospel9

gospel9 Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    I also bought wordBook at $2!!
    The pronunciation update is awesome~
    There's a built in voice synthesizer, that takes a few seconds to build the audio, but that's not all: WordBook now lets you select a voice synthesizer online (male and female), and the file audio file is downloaded over your connection.

The instant thesauraus is also a nice feature. You'll also find outgoing links to other words throughout the app (like you would on a webpage).

The UI is not perfect, and at times would make me wonder why they did the things the way it is now... but overall it's pretty usable.

They also have a word puzzle solver thing in the app if you are into that kind of thing.

13. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Downloaded it and tried the Words of the day.
    Apparently "Gooseneck" sounds like "Goos-en-neck" according to some of the voices. And "monogynous" sounds like "mono-jin-ni-nous", despite both havig correct IPAs. Needs more work on audio pronounciation but for general searchig seems ok...

14. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Hmmm... This game thread doesn't seem to have stayed on topic, could you guys quit talking about words and get back to the game,"dictionary"?