iPhone FTL (By Subset Games)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by killercow, Sep 25, 2013.

1. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

2. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    alright! now all we need is Dungeons of Dredmor and we'll be all set!!

3. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Fingers crossed

4. ttocs

ttocs Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2012
    Sr. Data Analyst
    Baltimore, MD
    I remembered when I first played FTL, I though it would be right at home on tablet. Glad I wasn't the only one.

5. You guys know Star Command? Yeah, that's not needed anymore

:D :D :D

6. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Okay, guys it isn't april.
    Wait.
    Oh man, really?

7. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Nice, this would be perfect on tablet

8. SteveWD40

SteveWD40 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Glad to see this confirmed, I had heard that they had signed an exclusivity deal with someone so it wouldn't be coming to iPad (I assumed Sony / Vita).

9. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    FTL is a fun game, I have been obsessively playing it since the Humble Bundle sale but it does get repeatitive after a while. The interface seems like it could be a perfect fit for touch screens.
    I e-mailed Gaslight Games, the developers of Dungeons of Dredmor and they confirmed an iOS port is still in development but has been delayed until after their next project.

10. Happybyte

Happybyte Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    I wander which control sheme it'll get.

Playing on PC it was only possible while heavily using a dozens of keyboard shotcuts.

On iPad/iPhone it's a completely different story.

11. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    I bought the PC version from gog, but I'll be buying this day 1, regardless of price!!

12. sbxsat

sbxsat Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2011
    I wonder how they will handle mods. The core game is fun but as someone rightly mentioned, it gets repetitive, especially once you unlock the ships and their alternate layouts.

The developers hardly support the game now. No new campaigns, races or ships. They seem more interested in making money through t-shirts and lego version of ships, which is a real shame.

13. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    But what if it is iPad 3 and above only? Then you will have to buy FTL 99¢ and an iPad...

iPadisEvilBecauseTheTrainIsPackedAndThereAreNoCabs...

14. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Considering the graphics and pc requirements of FTL, I would be totally amazed if it was ipad3+ only.

and no, I would not buy a new ipad, I was planning to upgrade at xmas but since getting ios7, thats put me off apple products now.

15. farley2k

farley2k Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Am updates on this? I know things often just lay in limbo until we get the announcement - coming out this week - but I thought maybe there was some actual news.

16. Knowing Apple though, it won't be compatible with iPad 2 but still compatiblle with the virtually identical sofftware-wise iPad Mini

17. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    What makes you say that?

18. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Knowing Apple? It depends on what APIs the developers want to use. You do want each new version of iOS to include new features, right? They're only there so that we can benefit them. If a dev decides to utilize a feature that simply doesn't exist on old models, that's their call.

19. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    What API does the iPad Mini support which iPad 2 doesn't? Aren't they using the same parts except for the screen, battery and casing?

20. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    At this stage for an iPad 2 that's true, but Apple do force models out via their IOS updates and the SDK's developers use will only support what Apple deems fit. This also works with application and game updates, even if nothing in the feature set has changed, a game that worked once on a low spec system won't if rebuilt with a newer SDK. Most developers don't have the wish or resources to split their apps into different iOS version with a couple of exceptions (Spotify for one).