Universal Starbase Orion - (by Chimera Software)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Oreniishi

Oreniishi Active Member

Oct 12, 2011
    #121 Oreniishi, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2011
    My video overview

Ok created an un-bias overview of the game (I hope) and put it up on you tube. Just for anyone that want to see the game play and see if it's for them. Hope that helps

2. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    Awesome video - thanks!

3. eev

eev Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2009
    Germany
    #123 eev, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
    that is useful overview, thanks.

4. Wilbair

Wilbair Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2009
    Indeed nice video. I didnt play the game before it lacks a tutorial but this video helps a lot!

5. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Picked up as it looks like a great game and I really like the dev's transparency and honesty in the app description!

6. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Happiness multiplied! ;) Now, if we could only have those custom notification sounds, and simply have the notification center show up on the lockscreen (instead of the current, dreary lockscreen solution), iOS 5 would be the system of my dreams ;)

This guide is actually very good, and brought my attention to some methods and features I have not picked up during my first days of playing. And I think it might have convinced quite a few fencers to purchase SO.

/signed. Perhaps more devs could benefit from similar communication.

7. hsthompson

hsthompson Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2010
    Okay, so definitely enjoying this one, although the first few games seem to just be throwaway learning experiences - a full featured walkthrough/faq is definitely required here.

Humble Suggestion #1: For research, the help says that the color has something to do with whether or not that research is going to be available. For the colorblind amongst us, it's impossible to tell what that meaning is when you hit red/green. Some sort of shape, along with color, to indicate the status of research availability would be *phenomenally* helpful.

8. va2k0r

va2k0r Active Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Great game but:
    - could you make buttons hotspot a bit bigger? I struggle to select options on iPhone.
    - is it just me or auto-turn doesn't stop when one of my colonies finish producing something?
    - is it possible to look at planet bonuses (i.e. how many food prod science per worker) once colonized?

9. KittyMac

KittyMac Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2010
    Most of them have bigger touch areas than they look. Maybe if you could send me a PM with specific ones you find yourself having the most trouble with?

If you set a colony to a focus, it will not automatically stop turn compression.
    If you manually specify the build queue, then it should automatically stop.

If you are experiencing behavior different than that, please let me know and we'll look into it.

After colonization, in the planet view, you can tap on any of the status lines.

There is not currently a way to get at the info prior to colonization.

Attached Files:

10. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    wow...

bought this thinking it would be totally different.

But DAMN am I impressed! There's a crazy amount of depth to the game, I'm SO glad I bought it! =oD

11. KittyMac

Sep 14, 2010
    I'll make sure this gets addressed in the coming update. Thanks.

12. SSquared

SSquared Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Software Developer
    Pacific Northwest
    Been reading this thread and will probably purchase. I enjoyed Starbase Command, but most especially, KittyMac has been a terrific developer. Very responsive. Very involved in the threads. I saw the same thing with Starbase Command. I really appreciate involvement like that. It says a lot.

I just need to head out to the mall and pick up an iTunes card. I have almost no money left in my account and have a few items I want to pick up.

13. Drakeer Melkhor

Drakeer Melkhor Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Freelance
    Spain
    #133 Drakeer Melkhor, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
    My only experience with 4X games so far was with Civ IV and V games, and I have to say this title is an excellent scifi strategy game for iOS. In fact, the gameplay is really similar to Civ, so if you liked Sid's game, you are going to love SO for sure.

I only played one game versus IA easy and I won, but I think I made tons of mistakes... Time to play again! :p

Congrats to the devs! :p

14. kuluman

kuluman Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Amsterdam
    I just stumbled upon this game, looks very interesting. I love 4X space games, but I already have Ascendancy on my iPhone (a truly wonderful game BTW). This game looks very similar, and I'm not sure if I should get it (though I'll probably end up buying it anyway).

My question is: how does this game compare to Ascendancy? How similar are the two games? Which one do you guys prefer?

15. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    I remember that you made Starbase Command by yourself, and part time I think?? I always meant to go back to that one after your updates.

So, how did you get from there to here? You started your own company?

16. KittyMac

Sep 14, 2010
    Pretty much the same as before; I have a full-time job which supports my family, and during the night/weekends I write the games I want to make.

Starbase Command had about 6 months put into it before release, Orion has had 12+ months. I also used the money Command earned and put it straight into hiring freelancers to help create Orion (portrait/landscape artist, ship/ui designer and a composer). Major props to those fellas for jobs well done :cool:

I plan in a few months to revisit Command and integrate the races used in Orion as a difficulty level / campaign mode.

17. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    Props. You have some serious talent.

18. dansu

dansu Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    San Francisco Bay Area
    I've been playing 4X games for a while (anyone remember "Spaceward Ho!" ?) and this game brings back a lot of good memories. It would have been nice to have an interactive tutorial but playing a game on easy mode is a good substitute. The only problem I experienced was the View Battle crash bug but I'll try your temporary workaround of viewing battles directly from the event log.

My hat's off to you as well. It's amazing that you were able to make this quality and depth of a game while only working on it part-time for a year. I look forward to seeing your future updates and projects!

19. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    No kidding, to think that this was made by ONE person completely BLOWS MY MIND! Got some serious talent. =oD

20. trystero

trystero Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Is there diplomacy in the game? I didn't see it in the video overview. ( thanks to the creator of that video btw )