Universal Knights of Pen & Paper - (by Behold Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Oct 31, 2012.

1. retroboy27

retroboy27 Active Member

Nov 1, 2012
    Male
    Data Analyst
    Ohio, USA
    Seriously fun game...

I already had the chance to play this on Android and have to say it is a great little time waster!

I did notice the occassional bad translation, but nothing that seemed too serious. In fact, until I read what was on the front page of TA today, I thought it was made that way to kind of pay homage to the old school RPGs. Don't worry, it isn't nearly as bad as some of the NES JRPG translations!

Simply put, I am in bed and asleep by 11 every night but when I downloaded this game I was up until 4am playing. I finally had to force myself to stop so I could get some sleep before getting up for work.

2. gty

gty Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2012
    Brazil
    it's a spoiler so:
    the second campaign ends when you actually beat the quest to finish the arena, there are only 2 quests, 1 when you start the campaign that provides you the special item and the other which is the 15 rounds eternal fight mode.

unfortunatelly there isn't.

Thanks a lot! <3

3. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    I guess I'm the only one disappointed with this?

Love RPGs and I played them since 'Adventure' on the Atari 2600 but this I bought last night and I find it rather dull and I really don't want to play it as its not fun.

Buyers remorse :(

4. iEdGamer

iEdGamer Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2012
    Maybe you should have waited for a game impression's video before jumping in to buy the game.

Well, maybe you'll find it interesting someday since it's always a pick-and-play RPG.

5. alyfantis

alyfantis Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2010
    Hokkaido, Japan
    Wow, what a game. Easily one of the best releases of the past few months. I actually looked forward to getting off work today just so I could play some more.

I don't even mind the sketchy translation because it adds to the authentic retro gaming feel. :)

I haven't even finished the first campaign yet but I'm already looking forward to expansion packs.

As for IAP, this game and Nimblebit's games are the only two examples I can think of where the gameplay has truly been unaffected by currency IAPs. Maybe it gets more necessary in the later game, I can't say myself, but so far it's entirely innocuous.

Question: are the bonuses granted by the decoration purchases stacking or is it a case of one bonus only per item category? (sorry if someone's asked already; I'm lazy)

6. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    I imagine that, unless the two decorations can co-exist, that they won't stack - meaning, if you buy two tables, you'll only have the bonus of the one you equip.

I haven't tried it, though, but I believe that would be the way it works.

You can, however, have the crown and the magazine at the same time, for instance.

7. gty

gty Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2012
    Brazil
    The tables are the perfect example for this. If you have all of them, just one table will be active so just that one table will provide the bonus. You can switch these goodies depending on what you want to in game like: "I wanna kill things fast so I will switch every goodie into the ones that provide battle bonuses" and so on.

8. aconfusedkender

aconfusedkender Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    WoW

Ok I bought this as soon as it came available! I haven't been able to put it down. I used to play Pen and Pad in my former life and this has been just the right amount of scratch for my ever present itch. It's simplicity is to me what makes it so awesome. I am enjoying this game all the way. I even told one of my D&D buddies about it and he's gonna download it when he gets off of work.

Thanks again for this awesome piece of sweetmeat,
    aconfusedkender

9. CrispyBread

CrispyBread New Member

Oct 17, 2012
    Does this game support the iPhone 5 screen size?

10. TheTheory

TheTheory Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2009
    hotel
    Central PA
    I never played a pen and paper RPG before, not really. But I'm loving this so far. The dialogue is a riot and I love how the screen is set up. I'll echo what someone earlier in the thread said--the grammar/spelling mistakes are rather endearing.

Not yet, though I believe the dev said that would come soon.

11. JasonHPickering

JasonHPickering Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Indie Developer
    US
    so not sure if this was answered yet or not. but what is the percentage on most of the areas and towns? is it quests completed or something?

12. Mattosai

Mattosai Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2010
    Very fun game, excellent concept :)

13. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Funny, I did the same, sent the link to a couple of old D&D buddies as well and they thought the idea and game are awesome as well! The game really is fun!

14. gty

gty Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2012
    Brazil

It's the % completion of quests by that specific area. If it's 100% it's because there're no more quests left at that location.

15. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    What is the significance of a STAR marked quest?

16. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

I think it is a quest for the main storyline.

17. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Yes, I believe it's "where you should go for the next storyline quest to proceed".

18. netmute

netmute Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2012
    For me, this is absolutely in the same league as Game Dev Story. Very well done dear devs ;)

19. venasque

venasque Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Had a chance to play this last night and I'm enjoying it. I do wish there was a type of in game help to explain the stats and how they help. For example I don't know what initative does at all so I don't know how having +5 to it would be of benefit (or how it would be of benefit).

Aside from that little gripe I think it's an awesome game and I hope Touch Arcade does a review and gives it some love and the attention it deserves.

20. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Aha! So now I get a bit more of the game to the game. While you are never forced to stick to only Main Story Quests, and heck, some might not even show up until you've reached certain threshold levels or some such, but only by taking on all of these star quests will one ever COMPLETE the Campaign. So if trying for record completion time it is all about taking the least amount of time to get from one starred quest to the next.