Worst Developers Ever

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by TheGreatWhiteApe, Jan 29, 2012.

1. TheGreatWhiteApe

TheGreatWhiteApe Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2011
    Games Designer, animator, writer
    Melbourne, Australia
    I stumbled across 2 really bad devs on the app store. Definitely worth a look at the crap they are putting out. I encourage other devs to post the worst rip-offs they have see as well, so we can name and shame them.

I think Apple should do something about these guys, a lot of people getting ripped off badly. The devs aren't even trying to copy or improve on the gameplay, often the games are just a single screen with 1 image, the one shown in the screen shots. Or a quick reskin of the same matching game again and again.

"Girls Girls Boy Boys"
    The worst rip offs I have seen including:

• Cut the Rope Classic
    • Angry Fruit Ninja
    • Where's My Bottle

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"Anton Sineinikov"
    Their Plants vs. Zombies rip off has been in the top 100 for ages.

• Plants vs. Zombie
    • Tiny Birds

[​IMG]

There is a lot of this going on in the App Store at the moment, and with the amount of legitimate apps trying to cover their costs amongst the masses I think it is really poor.

2. daigamer

daigamer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    The reason for that is all the cheap whiners, so now developers are getting revenge. People who say stuff like

"" Hahaha lol thats true name one game that actually is worth more than 99 cents. All the games are simple mini -games and half of them sucka$$. I have to delete most of the games I buy becuase they are pure garbage.
    Look $5 for a game is ridiculous and outragous. Thats alot of money that I can spend paying rent and feeding my godamn family and you developers want me to buy games with it. People dont understand the value of a hard days work , I brought the iphone for $400 so every game should be for bleeping free.
    Indie developers have the nerve to charge more than 99 cents per game, the fuking nerve of them!! Who are you to price guoge and charge $2.99 for a freaking game. What give you the right to reach in my pocket and take my cash.
    I buy 5 games on iphone and half my check is gone motherfuk it.""

Those are the idiots developers are going after and us regular paying customers suffer. Its a tough world and its only getting tougher.

3. DistantJ

DistantJ Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2012
    It's crazy, I'm so sick of seeing the word "Angry" when I look at the new releases. Angry this, angry that... You create something completely original and it's buried under clones...

4. I experienced worse. There are company cheaters. They never even clone. They just make the simplest games like 'popping bottles' or 'hit the rates' and release them with attractive pictures saying they are only for 17+ adults only. And they hire people to give false 5 star reviews. Even all real users give 1 star ratings, their voices are overwhelmed.

5. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    I'll add K Mobile Co. Ltd. to the list of "Devs to be shamed". These assholes straight up STOLE Sword & Poker, and released it as their own game (A King of Poker), for SEVEN bucks. And I don't mean they cloned it, or borrowed too heavily from it, I mean they literally stole the game, pixel for pixel. I hope they get successfully sued.

6. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    looks more like they just used s&p screenshots.. i doubt they copied anything else.. and the game you download might be something different (most likely)

overall i think the thread is pretty pointless.. because i doubt any dev would buy any of thoose games anyway.. and if you want to warn gamers about something specific then this is not the right spot in the forum for this imho and the thread should be rather moved to general discussion

7. MrLeQuack

MrLeQuack Well-Known Member

TEMPLE JUMP is number 3 in the us paid appstore , ahahaha, i think this approach is kind of genious!We all try to make an original game or whatever, and chances are at least in my case it will never see the top 200 in us!But these people who previously made angry ninja birds reached top 5.GENIOUS!!!

8. M@realobjects

M@realobjects Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Germany
    Wrong, it is now top paid overall #1 and top# 7 overall grossing in the US app store. :eek: Seriously, WTF!?!

Isn't this is ridiculous beyond belief?

What do we learn:

1. App store shoppers seem to be even dumber than thought and don't give a $hit when shelling out their money.
    2. If you are sitting somewhere in Russia, you can easily give a $hit about infringing on IP, trademarks, Apple Store guidelines, international business laws and ethic etc.
    3. Apple gives a $hit about these bogus apps, because they make their 30% Apple tax anyway.

:mad:

9. MrLeQuack

MrLeQuack Well-Known Member

Yeah I just saw it got number one!
    The thing is, I have seen a lot of devs fearing bad reviews(which is normal) because those will transform in people not buying your game, the fact that there is a one star game as number one tells me that most of the appstore users don't give a sh*t about reviews or are just plain blind!

10. One star rating game got No.1? WTF? I cannot believe this. Won't Apple do something about this? It's review system is losing credits! Isn't this suicide?

11. LiamAtDevour

LiamAtDevour Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Co-founder/Programmer at Devour Games
    Brisbane, Australia.
    Funny you should bring this up. Just yesterday (i think) Apple went after one of these copycat developers. Took down 55 of their 64 games.

But also, just yesterday I read that copycat games had generated somewhere around $4 billion dollars, so I'm sure Apple don't mind them ripping off other developers' ideas.

12. I believe you may have misread the article. The 4 billion is probably the amount of revenue the app store has generated since its inception.

http://9to5mac.com/2011/07/07/apple-issues-app-store-stats-15b-downloads-425000-apps-nearly-3-6b-revenue/

This article is a few months old but you can see that there's no way copycat games would have generated that much, nor can you even calculate something like that. Who's to say which apps are copycats and which are close but not full copies? The issue still stands though and your point is also taken that this is stealing revenue and ideas from original developers.