Blog Post Series: The Making of 'Wispin' or The Joys of At-Home iPhone Development

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by GrumpyfaceChris, Dec 5, 2010.

1. GrumpyfaceChris

GrumpyfaceChris Well-Known Member

Hey all!

I just started a new blog post series and I wanted to share it with fellow developers! During the development of our game I read countless "dev diaries", and found many of them to be quite motivational. I'm hoping that my musings will provide the same glimmer of hope to other people out there... or be interesting to them, at the least!

The game, by the way, is Wispin (more info & media here) which recently peeked into the top 100 Overall Paid App list after being featured by Apple last Thursday. We're super stoked (it's been a long road!) and we're hoping to keep the momentum going a little bit!

Anyhoo, if you have a moment please check out Part 1 of:

[​IMG]

2. Arashi541

Arashi541 Well-Known Member

This is a nice blog for all of the people that have ever wanted to make a game or where to start!

3. Nice read, even for people who have 0 game developing experience at all (like me). I'm a huge fan of the artwork. :)

4. GrumpyfaceChris

Thanks so much guys, really glad it's being enjoyed so far :)

For anyone who has time: if you do enjoy it and have a facebook or twitter account, please take a moment to 'share' the link! Trying my best to get it out there :)

Hoping to have part 2 out within a day or two!

5. minyx

minyx Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2010
    Your post was a great read. :)

6. dansu

dansu Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Very nice and inspiring. Did you ever meet with your programmer face to face or was your collaboration and interaction pretty much virtual?

I look forward to reading the rest of your story!

7. GrumpyfaceChris

Believe it or not, to this day we still have not met in real life! We began with meetings over the phone and transitioned to gmail chat, actually. I never would have thought it possible to complete such a massive project that way.. but I guess it all depends on finding the right people. :)

8. BravadoWaffle

BravadoWaffle Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Designer
    Great posts, I'm loving them. As soon as I'm done though, I'm gonna go back and play Wispin some more. Awesome job man!

I've never met my developer either, or even chatted with him on the phone. And yet we work great with each other! I also have never met my business partner in real life either, I think we chatted on the phone once...

Gotta love the internet and collaboration sites like pbworks!

9. GrumpyfaceChris

The internet is definitely an amazing tool for collaboration.. crazy to think of how much things have changed over the last few years!

Anyway, unfortunately I'm a bit behind with the blog post series.. was hoping to have Part 3 out last week, but it's now looking like later this week. Sorry for the delay but I hope it'll be worth the wait!

10. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    I was perusing the developers forum and I happened upon this post. 99% of the posts on this forum are from the viewpoint of the players, so it's very interesting to hear things from the developer's PoV.

11. GrumpyfaceChris

Thanks Dazarath, glad you liked it!

Unfortunately.. I'm still behind with part 3! Ack! Just been a lot of craziness going on lately.. I'll bump this thread and also update our twitter/facebook with a heads-up when it's ready to go live :)

12. Riffel

Riffel Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2010
    Great blog Chris, loved and favorited!
    Merry Xmas from Brazil!
    Marcos Riffel

13. Rocotilos

Rocotilos Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    iOS Apps & Games Developer
    Hey, very nice post. I like to read these kind of articles, give me some motivations.. cheers.