Universal Mr Jump (by 1Button)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by 1Button, Feb 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1Button

1Button Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2013
    France
    #1 1Button, Feb 28, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
    Good news everyone!

We will release a new game on March 19! It’s called Mr Jump

[​IMG]

Mr Jump is a side-scrolling, one-button (pun intended) platform game with simple and colorful graphics. The goal is to jump to avoid the traps and reach the end of the level. You can control the length of the jumps by holding the touch.

If you played our other games, you probably noticed that we like to make hard games. Mr Jump is no exception. We spent a lot of time designing the levels to make them as challenging as possible (and enjoyable of course!).

There are 12 levels, each with a unique environment (plains, mountain, forest, Japan…) and a dedicated soundtrack.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Warning: Mr Jump is not an endless runner. It’s a platformer with a devilish level design and a very accurate gameplay.

The game will be free with a few ads per session.

If you want to have a try before the release, please send me a PM

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I was just thinking yesterday if you guys had anything in the works.
    I'd love a try of it, am sure it will be as enjoyable as your other games.

3. melvin2898

melvin2898 Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2011
    Like the impossible game?

4. 1Button

Apr 22, 2013
    France
    Kind of, yes! But with a controlled jump.

5. 1Button

Apr 22, 2013
    France
    Thanks ^^ We will send you a promo code as soon as the app gets approved!

6. 1Button

Apr 22, 2013
    France
    #6 1Button, Mar 5, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
    Yay! Mr Jump has just been reviewed by Apple! If you want to try it out, just send me a PM and I will send you back a redeem code.

7. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Thanks for the unsolicited preview code!

Played about twenty minutes so far. Ads are infrequent and inoffensive but I've already bought the ad removal IAP (£1.49/$1.99) as I know I'm going to be spending plenty more time with it.

It's closer to Mr. Flap than any of 1Button's other games and exudes their usual quality throughout. Menus are clean and tactile. The soundtrack is crisp and cheerful without grating, and matches the visuals perfectly. Every level has its own unique appearance and gameplay hook and their length and difficulty is (so far) perfectly judged - challenging but fair.

I'm looking forward to completing the rest then playing back through to get a better jump count.

Things I'd like to see:
    *Leaderboards for each level (I don't understand the current, single leaderboard)
    *New death animations for some deaths (it feels OK to bounce off a spike and die, but it's weird to bounce off a swamp).
    *More levels for Quetzalcoatl!

8. cloudpuff

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Thank you for the code, Mr Bez description is spot on, reminds me a but if geometry dash and the impossible game but with a zillion times times more polish, it's a bit different from the puzzle titles that we usually see from you but has the 1button style, not sure how to describe what I mean but it's like I can play any of your games and know they are made by you.

I would love a pause button, husband phoned me and I couldn't see a pause button on my ioad so crashed at 95 %

I'll be buying the ad remover to support but as Mr Bez said they are not annoying.

9. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Very stylish and simplistic.

I'd love a code if you still have some.

10. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    Thanks for the promo code.

Mr. jump: I hate you! ;-)

11. 1Button

Apr 22, 2013
    France
    Thanks everyone!

We chose to use only one leaderboard for the sake of simplicity. Each level is worth 100 points (i.e. 100%). As most players will do the levels in order, it's easy to know exactly where they are.
    For example, at the moment you got 299 points, which means you failed at catching the exit item at the very end of the 3rd level :)
    I got 1186 points, which means I'm stuck at 86% in the last level.

We'll think about it ^^.

We tried to display a pause button but as with Mr Flap, the player doesn't have time to pause the game...

12. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Yea, this is definitely one of those games where you are constantly hovering between "I'll never play this thing ever again!" and "Just one more run". The art is simplistic (in a good way) and the animations are very smooth, as are the menus. I like how you added the option for viewing statistics. The the controls are satisfyingly responsive and I didn't experience any issues with the colliders, so if you fail, you cannot blame the game but only yourself which is the worst for this type of game hah.

The gameplay itself is great, as new mechanics are introduced as you advance through the levels. It also comes to times when the game almost borders on a puzzle game, which is quite fun.

Suggestions:
    - a pause button; while the levels certainly aren't long, it takes a lot of time to come to a certain point of the level. We mostly play this types of games during classes and the teacher might get suspicious if you're looking at your crotch for more than a minute
    - another line showing how far you came in the previous run. I think it would add a certain amount of tension each time you would approach the line and having that "I hope I don't fail here again" feeling. Could also be a step towards some 2 player competitive gameplay
    - the button (key) to unlock the next level with an IAP is a little small and hard to notice in my opinion. Perhaps the option to buy the level should reveal even if you just tap anywhere on that level
    - add removal is kind of... "expensive". I mostly see them for 0.99$ in other games. I don't know about others but this is still a "small" game and ads aren't intrusive at all, so I don't see myself ever removing ads for 1.99$ in this game

13. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

Thanks so much for the code!

After a few plays I disabled ads in support. I like the clean graphics and simple 1-Button controls. It's nice that the levels are not randomly generated so that you can learn the terrain and improve over time. These are quick impressions as I've only made it to 99% (missed that lousy last jump).

With 12 levels, and possibly more on the way, I would recommend this to a friend for sure. I know I'll be coming back for more.

14. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Yep. You're right. I managed to go under it! The cruelty of finally reaching the end after 40 or 50 tries then dying after the finish did make me smile.

I was thinking the individual level leaderboards would be for the number of jumps, but an overall completion percentage board makes sense.

15. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    I've realised that the game this reminds me of most is Kid Tripp. It has the same brutal pattern of pattern of death and repetition where a section seems impossible at first but gradually becomes second nature. My number of tries to beat each level so far:

1: 2
    2: 29
    3: 55
    4: 46
    5: 66
    6: 359

16. 1Button

Apr 22, 2013
    France
    #16 1Button, Mar 6, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
    Yes, the more you play the more you become skilled! That is also why we locked the next levels to force the order of completing them.

17. cloudpuff

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    It took me 28 for level one and I'm on level two at 90 per cent with over 100 attempts so far :)

18. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    So in an earlier post, I wrote facetiously that I hated Mr. Jump. Actually this is a really great game, but not the type that I usually like to play at all. I am bad at these games and I find them frustrating. Yet I keep coming back to this one for more suffering, so that has to say something. If you like these type of timing games, I think you will love Mr. Jump. Me, I am still not so sure.

19. 1Button

Apr 22, 2013
    France
    #19 1Button, Mar 6, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
    BTW we still love and plan to make puzzle games ;) We wanted to show, with Mr Jump, that we were able to do things more "evolved" graphically and more action oriented!

Also, what do you think of the soundtrack of the game? We made all the musics ourselves so we hope you like them!

20. cloudpuff

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I love the music.

Made some progress on level 2 and got to 99 per cent. Lol.