Tell us one thing you hate most about smackBOTS, please!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by khangtoh, Jul 20, 2009.

1. khangtoh

khangtoh Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Co-Founder/IPhone Dev @ LeftRight Studios
    Pittsburgh, PA
    #1 khangtoh, Jul 20, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
    smackBOTS our first game title, now free (http://bit.ly/smackbot), is in the top 100's for games->action and kids. We think its a fun game but we really like to know what you think.

So here's a unconventional approach. If you got smackBOTS, great! Play for 3 mins and tell us what you most hate about the game! If you don't have smackBOTS, download it and do the same.

We are very sincere about this and hope everyone will help us and we want to make this game better! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

2. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    Accelerometer for moving the robots.
    Robots also need to move faster when moving side to side.
    Unlockables to add stats to the robots.

3. khangtoh

May 31, 2009
    Pittsburgh, PA
    So you hate the accelerometer feature the most??

4. starjimstar

starjimstar Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2008
    Entrepreneur
    Canada
    Hate is a strong word and I would not use it so lightly. Why not just ask what people dislike about the game?

5. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    I found the accelerometer to be a little to insensitive you know what I mean?
    So yes, that would be my "most-hated" feature.

6. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    I'm not too fond of the button mashing. This may be the whole point of the game, but there doesn't seem to be any point beyond tapping the screen as fast as you can...it would be nice if there were different punch types (even just a jab/uppercut option would be fine) and a bit of strategy involved. I'm not trying to change your game completely, but you asked...

7. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    #7 Devilishly Good, Jul 20, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
    +1 to the idea of letting us either unlock extra options for our robot, or earning $$$ or whatever, that we could then purchase upgraded attacks/defenses or a special attack/defense perhaps

when I see "COMBO" over the enemy robot does that mean he scored a combo or I scored a combo? I am not sure - need a clearer way of designating that to me

i think though, the biggest thing I would like is some kind of sound of hitting the robots, a sound when you knock a robot's head off, a berserk sound, another sound while attacks are being blocked

8. NYKane

NYKane Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Well, the problem with it to me was that there was no real strategy to anything from what I played. Tap the left side and right side and repeat over and over, yet I still lost? There was nothing really I felt like I could improve on other than chance.

9. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    I felt the same way until I realized there really is no strategy. I kept losing by trying to time my punches, move left/right, etc. Once I figured out that you charge the other robot, and tap the screen as fast as you can left/right I started winning. I guess I would prefer it to be less about speed (they have lame tap counter apps for that) and more about timing and strategy.

10. Devilishly Good

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    there are special punches when you tap in a specific order, but lol, i usually wind up punching like crazy

11. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    yeah, who like to play the game that you can never win?

12. sportsfan791

sportsfan791 Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    I hate not having a Bluetooth mode

13. IpodLady

IpodLady Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Washington State
    Accelerometer....seems way to unresponsive to me.

The fact that there isnt much more to it than finger bashing. I know thats the point of the game, but the rewards for a win aren't good enough to motivate me to get better.

More strategy involved would be good. Like what was said already, maybe some combo moves, or unlockable super attacks. Maybe you can add something like being able to block with one hand and attack with the other, at some sort of cost of course.

Different opponents...maybe with different skills/levels, moves, or whatever.

Adding some kind of system where you can "move up thru the ranks" the more you win.

This is just off the top of my head. You have a good base of a game here, you just need to add a bit to it to keep us coming back to it.

14. Devilishly Good

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    yup, if we could earn combo punches that show up as buttons on the screen, with a cooldown timer, then we could use those as extra attacks versus opponents

15. khangtoh

May 31, 2009
    Pittsburgh, PA
    All very good points. Keep it coming, we can take it. :)

16. IpodLady

IpodLady Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Washington State
    Just another idea......Ability to choose specific parts of the body to smack. Depending on where you hit, it would do varying amounts of damage.

Also some sort of upgrade where you could become "quicker" when punching.

17. Diggins

Diggins Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2009
    your attic
    I think combos should look special. Like if you tap both dies t the same time 4 times fast your bots arms shoot straight forward.

Also off topic. When is WWSC being released?

18. aricall

aricall Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Tattooist
    well i really dont like the music its really bugs me
    but its a great base for a good game
    the art style is pretty cool too
    i think some more unlockable and some power ups would be good.
    also its unclear as to who is getting the combo

19. khangtoh

May 31, 2009
    Pittsburgh, PA
    WWSC got unexpected delay, so pretty much in limbo now until Apple's approval. :(

20. Devilishly Good

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    ...or we could get limited use weapons, like they are only good for 1, 2, or 3 uses during a match...meaning all 3 fight rounds and not just one 2 minute round

...example...a blowtorch attachment, drill, laser beam