Chaos Rings vs Aralon

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by 102263, Dec 26, 2010.

1. 102263

102263 Member

Dec 26, 2010
    I'm looking to buy an RPG and I'm thinking about Chaos Rings and Aralon. Any opinions on which is better? Thanks.

2. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    It depends.

If you're a Final Fantasy 7 fan who enjoys strategy and turn-based gameplay, you should get Chaos Rings. If you're a Morrowind fan who enjoys open world button mashers where you're free to do whatever you want, when you want, you should get Aralon.

My personal favorite is Chaos Rings.

3. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    My play beginning with Chaos Rings ends to be quite tedious, it's just the beginning I gave up and didn't found enough courage to come back.

I'm not a veteran of FF series but I played not that long ago the FF4 remake and for me despite the flaws it is a lot better than Chaos Rings. Here a copy of the post in iPad section:

The first point is now I played a bit the real game I understand why some complained about the iPad port. Some background are quite blurry and that's too apparent. But also in many area the characters are so tiny, and despite they are tiny or perhaps because they are, they are pixelated.

But that's just superficial points. For sure the story seems interesting but that's one of the worst merging of story and gaming I have seen. On one part there's some talk in the main manor, some events to build the story progression. And another part dungeon with zero story, no quests, just some sample wandering, random encounters, and few room puzzles.

But there's even more, the random encounters coming from monsters that pop from nowhere despite it's not large travel but dungeon or delimited area, that's so tedious for the mood, you wanderer in desert places and monsters pop from thin air to attack you. Moreover the diversity of those random encounters seems quite low it's not the awful repetition like there are ton in Crimson Gen, but it's still a bit tedious.

On top of that in the beginning the fights are just boring, you don't have much interesting choices, and tactics seem pretty thin but that points will certainly improve as the game progress.

All in all the global design lack a lot of finesse and if there's something that could save it it's the story alas it's a lot too diluted, and perhaps the fights, I hope so. Despite blurry parts and sometimes pixelated stuff the graphics tend be better but well Puzzle Quest 2 just shine in comparison.

Now to be clear it's only the beginning of the game and totally unfair for the game, but it's still a quite tedious feeling for its beginning.

Even Dungeon Hunter 2 first parts gave me a better feeling, that said all.

4. Duke Floss

Duke Floss Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Writer - Producer - Engineer
    English Roundabout
    I myself prefer open world RPGs and have found the deepest most fun experiences in Aralon and The Quest Gold.

Chaos Rings is awesome, as are Crimson Gem Saga and Ash for turn-based story-driven RPGs.

Right now I am about 15 hours into Aralon - and it is probably my favourite game available in the app store after GTA: China Town Wars.

5. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Aralon, I like the open-world feel and have never been a fan of turn-based fighting in comparison to real-time. It's all preference though.

6. Splash520

Splash520 Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Depends

I have both and there both great RPG's. So I depends are you looking for a final fantasy like game a (JRPG) then you should get chaos rings, however the game is quite linear and short. Or if your into WRPG's that you can explore and feel like your in the game then Aralon is the game of choice. But I've had alot more fun with Aralon so if it were up to me I'd buy Aralon cause really it's a much better game in my opinion.

7. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2010
    Not much to add except that it's a subjective choice. Want an open-world game with lots of things to do, but unpolished and with a weak combat system ? Get Avalon. Want a turn-based, on-rails japanese-style game with a cool story and awesome looking characters, but with all the caveats coming with all the turn-based japanese RPGs ? Get Chaos Rings.
    I prefer Chaos Rings, personally, but I have both. Maybe you should buy both, as they're very, very different experiences.

8. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    I hated Chaos Rings, but I love Aralon. It all depends on which sub-genre you prefer. They are very different games.