Untitled Retro Platformer - Scylla Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Charybdis, May 21, 2012.

1. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Probably because he's from Japan. Apparently Kickstarter is a U.S. only thing right now. And from what I've seen, Indiegogo also has the advantage that you get to keep whatever money you raise, even if you don't meet your goal.

2. BluesClues

BluesClues Active Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Id love to suggest some bosses when i think of a good one ^_^

3. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    (Just off of playing the first level) There really needs to be a tutorial to show what the objective of that level is and what all the buttons do. Here also needs to be a pause button.

4. Well Placed Cactus

Jul 24, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Definitely looking forward to this. Loving the old school retro look and feel.

5. Charybdis

Charybdis Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2011
    Programmer
    Kyoto, Japan
    Actually, I am British, but I live in Japan, so yeah, I can't use kickstarter. It's a shame because from what I've seen, kickkstarter is the only site where small indie's can really get funded (unless you're really famous or lucky).
    But kickstarter is coming to UK soon, so maybe I will try it out for my next game.
    Yes, quite a few people are having problems with the mac version of the demo. I'm working hard to solve the issue, but please accept my apologies for that.
    And thanks to everyone who's been so supportive.
    Cheers

6. BluesClues

BluesClues Active Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Yeah i probably wouldnt have known what to do if i hadnt seen the trailer

7. Charybdis

Apr 2, 2011
    Programmer
    Kyoto, Japan
    Hi mate, thanks for the feedback. Yeah don't worry, I'm already working on a tutorial button from the main menu and the scrolling text at the beginning (and between worlds) will be where I set the scene and develop the story. Also, there will be more signposts that give pertinent information in-game, and I am putting in graffiti tiles to direct the player to the key and door. Also, I am experimenting with a minimap, but that is not a definite feature at this point.
    Cheers

8. Jdragoon19

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    Meh, the idea of a minimap is good, but I don't think it's needed since it could give people a sense of adventure and exploration. But, it could be put in as an experiment.

And ok, that sounds awesome! Can't wait to see the next build! :)

9. BluesClues

BluesClues Active Member

Apr 15, 2012
    Same:) i really enjoyed the first one.

10. Jdragoon19

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    I love all the secret hidden passages that award you hearts! The game is really fun and addicting, especially if you love retro and platformers.

There definitely needs to be some sort of pause menu and button. Also, if these are implemented, there also needs to be a Level Select as well.

11. Charybdis

Apr 2, 2011
    Programmer
    Kyoto, Japan
    Yeah, I am still thinking about how I will do the level select.
    At first, the idea was that when your nine lives are up, that's it. You're dead baby! THAT'S retro! You young little scamps don't know the joyful frustration of really severely strict games. For example, Turrican. Gyaaaaa!
    But these days people don't want that. So I am thinking that will be able to start from the beginning of the same world. So there will be a world select screen, rather than a level select screen.
    Does anyone have any strong opinions on this matter?

12. Eoghann

Eoghann Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    IT Guy/Graphic Designer/Gamer
    New York
    A retro mode and a normal mode. :)

I like the world select option as well.

13. I love the tile work, pixel art goodness. I've found pixeling in gameboy/black and white specifications teaches a lot about pixel art, looks hot!

14. BluesClues

BluesClues Active Member

Apr 15, 2012
    I was going to suggest the same thing^_^

15. nfong

nfong Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Looking forward to this game. Also, how's Glade and Dank Dungeons coming along? They looked quite impressive in your other threads but haven't had an update in a while :C