Touch Arcade, moderators, and us - members...

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by pante, May 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pante

pante Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    somewhere
    #1 pante, May 22, 2009
    Last edited: May 22, 2009
    my friends,

i want to share my thoughts about ta, moderators - how they work here, and us... first of all - thank you Touch Arcade for existing. this website is a truly amazing place. now second: i understand that being a moderator is a hard job, you have to check the forum really often and decide what to do in "hard times". i know also it's really "hot" in here lately.

but we need to understand why sometimes you act how you act.

i believe that this community, especially people who are here for quite a long time, support this page and make it brighter. we don't want to destroy this forum... we are always helpful, we are always ready to spread good word around the web about TA, almost every review have a link to discussion that is happening on this forum.

we have rules, you should have some too. we should have our rights.

for example...
    you cannot edit our posts without our permission if it's not a spam or an insult.
    you cannot move our threads without EXPLAINING why.
    you cannot THREAT us that we WILL BE BANNED if we say something bad about how you work here.

cause now it's like a tyranny, and every tyranny have to stop someday.
    i may be wrong of course, just sharing my thoughts...

and finally third...
    we, members, cannot be impolite to each other, cause sometimes we really are. whoever i insulted, or felt bad cause of me - i'm sorry. this was the last thing i wanted to do.

i wish you everyone all the best.
    PEACE.

Pante!

2. Shokz

Shokz Well-Known Member

May 8, 2009
    Physicist. No, not really, but maybe one day, i'm
    England. It's a sucky place.
    To be fair, they probably have every right to do everything you say they shouldn't - chances are it's all in the agreement you accepted when you signed up.

That said, however, a Moderator should never edit a post unless it's breaking a rule of the forum or they're abusing their powers, there's also never a valid reason to not give a reason as to why a thread has been moved, but i think that whilst you shouldn't be threatened with banning if you get in a two sided argument with a Moderator, if it was unsubstantiated i wouldn't blame them in the slightest.

3. GatorDeb

GatorDeb Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    Well there's threads all the time on the Games forum about what game people should buy and my thread on what have you last bought was moved to lounge... and my thread could have helped curtailed those other threads. Why can those threads stay and mine can't? I'm actually interested to hear the reason.

4. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Off-topic posts get moved to the appropriate forum when someone notices them or they get reported. If you think something is in the wrong place, that's what the report button is for. If your thread gets moved, it's because it was off topic or posted in the wrong place.

If your post gets deleted, it's because it was offensive, insulting, spam, or part of an off-topic thread derailment. We often delete posts in attempt to get threads back on track.

If your post gets edited, it's because something in it was breaking the rules or we were adding content like links and/or screenshots since more often than not people are infatuated with being the first to post a thread for a game instead of actually writing a post worth reading or including much more than "ITS OUT".

Pante something I think you fail to realize is the moderators of Touch Arcade are volunteers. No one is getting paid to babysit here, and we're extremely thankful for everyone who donates their time to keep the forums clean since Arn, Blake, and myself are generally pretty busy dealing with the front page. I really don't think sassing people who could be spending their time doing any number of things instead of taking care of the forums is really appropriate. Most forums have rules against mod sass for this reason.

I would say that likening moving threads or editing posts on a forum about video games to "tyranny" is pretty silly. Follow the rules and nothing gets deleted or edited. Post your threads in the right spot and they won't get moved. If you think something got moved to the wrong forum, that's fine, there's nothing stopping you from continuing to post in that thread.

Pretty tyrannical if I may say so myself. ;)

5. GatorDeb

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    Hodapp = why is a current thread about "what to buy next" deemed to be on topic for Games and a thread on "what did you buy last" not?

Just wondering.

6. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

You posted in your thread you thought it should be in the lounge. :confused:

With the amount of games coming out lately, generic threads like "what should I buy" and "what did you buy" just push more relevant threads for the game forum off the first page. Since a lot of forum members seem to be allergic to searching, this just makes people re-post things. Once a duplicate thread gets posted, most people can't help themselves from posting it it until it gets closed. Again, if you think a thread is in the wrong place just report it.

I don't think any of us have time to screen every thread that gets posted. ;)

7. GatorDeb

Feb 1, 2009
    Las Vegas, NV, USA
    I put that in case I posted in the wrong forum to let mods know I didn't do it on purpose, but I also added in the same sentence that since so many WSIB threads were in Games then it probably belonged there also. And if there was one huge WTB thread, then maybe we wouldn't have so many WSIB threads.

8. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

I don't think the people who post "What should I buy?" threads are particularly keen on reading or they would read threads and reviews then decide what to buy without someone telling them. :p

9. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    In all honesty, I think they have the rights to do whatever they want. If they explain why they moved your thread or deleted your post... well, that's just a bonus. :)

10. pante

pante Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    somewhere
    #10 pante, May 22, 2009
    Last edited: May 22, 2009
    yeah, that was a bonus when george bush explained why the us attacked iraq. ;) he had the right to do whatever he wanted. ;) it is so "americanish" to do things without saying why? it's always good to explain. i'm just saying that they could write in every moved thread "i did it because of ....", and when adding something send a pm. it isn't to hard i think...

11. HJJ

HJJ Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    He just told you that if your thread gets moved it's BECAUSE it was off topic and/or in the wrong section. There is your explanation right there. It would be redundant to physically type out "I moved this thread because it was in the wrong section" EVERY time a thread is moved.

12. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    Thank you :)

13. JTHM87

JTHM87 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Auto Finance
    King of Prussia, PA
    Serious forums are serious. I have seen forums that are absolutely ridiculous with Mods having a god-complex (This one SPECIFICALLY), and to be honest it ruins the boards. If you were to sign up and get to know the people on that board, they're either attached to the Mods bolas or get banned eventually for not sucking up. It's like a cult.

That being said, I don't think this forum has gotten there..not yet anyhow. If it ever gets to the point where people are afraid to post because of what a mod *might* do, there's a problem. As boards get bigger, there's more and more trash to filter through and edit out. Mods don't have time to explain everything. New members may need an explanation, but that's what the rules are for. If something is violated, posts get edited/moved. Senior members should already know the ropes. On that same token, Mods maybe should consider showing a little more discretion and communicate reasons to members that have been here for awhile and contribute positively.

14. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    I love when the mods add things to my posts like the pics or videos, it makes it look like I know what I'm doing... ;)

15. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    You can see the: lasted edited by "" and it says who ever did it...lol
    I like it when mods tell you why they moved your thread. Anyways, I can't belive mods threatened you pante :eek: Anyways....

16. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

No such thing. ;) This is a private board; the only rights involved are that those who run it have the right to do as they like. And that's it.

--Eric

17. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    qft... +1

18. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    +1
    and if you don't like it, go to Slide To Play's forums! Their Mods spend more time here than there, so you could prolly go post bogus threads over there all day long.

19. pante

pante Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    somewhere
    did i say i don't like it?
    i love it, that's way i am here, and why i'm posting my thoughts. just want to make it even better place.

my post was full of joy and how proud i am to be a member of this community. just wanted to share my feelings with you guys.

20. FilthyCanadian

FilthyCanadian Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Ontario Canada
    I just saw your signature, and please, explain to me how you're being threatened?