Anti-Virus for Windows XP?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by ninjackid, Aug 19, 2014.

1. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    So I have this old Windows XP (SP3) laptop, I hadn't been using it for a while, but now I'm dusting it off, and I'm gonna use it for some basic stuff. I'm looking for a good free Anti-Virus that runs on XP. I heard Microsoft Security Essentials doesn't support XP anymore, so clarify that for me, too, 'cuz if it is still supported I'll just use that. Thanks!

2. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I haven't used Antivirus in years I personally think the cure is worse than the disease and with a little common sense you will never get a virus anyway.

The one piece of software I do recommend running now and again is malwarebytes I see no reason for needing anything else but if your paranoid run the eset online scanner now and again.

3. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    Oh yeah, malwarebytes. That's a good one. You think I'd be safe with just malwarebytes, then?

4. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Well that's all I do and I've gotten away with it for years, anytime I feel a bit paranoid I do run the eset online scanner just to be sure but I haven't had anything for years now.

Saying that though I do end up removing a lot of Malware/Toolbars/etc from family PC's and I'm not sure how they manage to get them like that but I'd say if your a smart user you have nothing to worry about just be careful what you install and avoid using Internet Explorer if possible.

5. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    No. And we're talking about malware in general, not just viruses.

Perhaps a few years ago, but now? No. Unequivocally no. It's so easy to pick up malware visiting even reputable sites, through bad links, ads that might redirect you/run auto scripts, hacking attacks (this is a lot more prevalent now), phishing, the list goes on and on and on.

I recently cleaned out a computer never used for anything but visiting reputable news sites and Amazon, over 200 infections. Had to wipe the entire thing. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Nin, you absolutely do need an antivirus, Malwarebytes free is decent but only works after you get infected. Pick up Avast! or AVG, both have free versions and work well. I prefer Avast. Adblock for disabling autos scripts and also ads is also a wise move. Also ditch Internet Explorer if you haven't already, it has too many security holes. In addition to being slow, ugly and a crappy browser.

6. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    Sup, Juhb. Yeah, I've used Avast in the past before switching to MSE. It seemed to work decently. And yeah, IE sucks.

EDIT: Looks like Avast! will still be supporting XP, too. Maybe that is the way to go.

7. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    If you're going to use it for basic stuff, why not run ubuntu instead of xp? Not that viruses don't exist on linux, but it is less vulnerable to many things, especially since xp isn't updated regularly anymore.

8. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    Because I'm a big numbskull when it comes to things like switching to Ubuntu. :p

That would be a great idea, though, if I had the slightest idea on how if go about doing that.

9. somedumbgamer

somedumbgamer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    I found this thing the other day called the google

10. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I call bull in honesty, with you claiming over 200 infections from visiting common websites it's pretty apparent your talking about nothing more than cookies or you have installed something pretty dodgy.

To put a real virus on a machine you need an exploit or the user to do it himself the latter is almost always the case and if it's the former it's trivial to kill the antivirus also.

Antivirus is almost always a complete waste of resources not to mention the money, I've nothing against people installing it if it makes them feel better but it's really a false security.

11. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    I have to admit I've found most solutions to be a pain in the seated place, I used to go whole hog but business practices seem to have changed these days and I would have trouble recommending anything that isn't an irritant. I do allow MSE to do its thing (but can't help with the XP question sorry) and regularly do scans.

12. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    My real problem with Antivirus is probably based on my past I used to write my own Remote Access Server/Client programs when I was learning to program and tested them against various AntiVirus just to see what would happen.

Basically absolutely nothing they didn't detect it that then led to me playing with available ones that were detected it became apparent it was very easy to turn them undetected using various exe packers like UPX or simply changing a byte or two in a hex editor.

Before that I did use Antivirus a lot like everyone else but found it pretty useless the single time I did get a real nasty virus was way back on Windows 95 and it was a pretty destructive one it basically added itself to every exe file on the whole system which broke most of them including Norton which refused to run. I'll add I did manage to fix this one using a dos virus scanner run from a floppy then re-installing a lot of the broken programs so not even that forced me to reinstall windows.

My honest advice

Use one if it makes you feel better maybe it may even save you one day I personally don't think it's worth it but if you do though make sure to get one with good heuristics as the rest only go by known signatures I think the best is NOD32 but that's personal opinion.

Use chrome or firefox as internet explorers always been a weak link

If you really want be extra safe run a scriptblocker like noscript

Don't ever install Java if you can help it if you do update it a lot.

Don't ever install Adobe PDF Reader use an alternative like Foxit.

Use common sense when installing things and be very wary of anything bundled in the installs basically be ready to untick toolbars etc oh and avoid all installs from cnet I've heard a lot of bad things about those lately if you can always get the installer from the programs actual site.

Try to learn what should actually be running on your system and what starts with it maybe take a few screenshots of the start up in msconfig to refer back to them if you need to.

13. Kapamilya2

Kapamilya2 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2014
    I still prefer to have one installed on my PC. I just based which on the reviews I read online, mostly tech sites. Currently using Avira.

14. LukeVanSimon

LukeVanSimon New Member

Oct 22, 2014
    You can try Kaspersky 2015 it provides information if the websites you are visiting are secure, especially e-commerce sites wherein online transactions are being made.

PROS:
    Provides optimum protection.
    Easy to install.
    One of the highest rated by independent test labs.
    Doesn’t interfere with your computer programs
    Easy-to-tweak settings.

15. jn2002dk

jn2002dk Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    Denmark
    An application control program will offer more protection than a standard antivirus so i'd go with something like

What ever free antivirus. Bitdefender, Avast etc. Lots of decent options but don't pay for it

Malwarebytes free as an on demand scanner

Appguard or something like it. This is the crucial part as it wont allow anything to run beyond what you let it. You could also go full paranoia and use something like Shadow Defender which will freeze your pc, resetting all changes on reboot but it's kind of a hassle

For browser use HTTPSwitchboard with Chrome or Noscript with Firefox (though Firefox is falling increasingly behind on security, at least on modern windows versions). If you can run Internet Explorer 11 on XP that's also fine, just enable enhanced protection mode and subscribe to the tracking lists which will also double as an adblocker

No java. No. Baaaad. Same with Flash unless you absolutely need it in which case don't and use Chrome's built in flash player instead. Get an open source PDF reader as well

All that being said, since XP is no longer supported i'd definitely advice to update your OS instead. If it's just an internet and office machine get an easy to install linux like Ubuntu. It's very easy to install, it can run alongside XP and you'll be much more secure than you'll ever be on XP

16. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    #16 Coldar, Nov 22, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
    Highly recommend buying Kaspersky also as it blends right into a pc without notice and detects the most current virus's. I value my pc's so its been worth the price to keep them running for years mainly from quality antivirus program's. Knowing how to avoid malware, virus's sites using good web surfing skills helps but a quality antivirus program will add to the security of any pc.
    I don't just feel good about being secure but Kaspersky actually does the job.