Which pick for gaming and portability ?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Killerluffy246, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Killerluffy246

Killerluffy246 Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2014
    Asia
    So now Im in my university first year , and I noticed that I needed a replacement for my bulky laptop to gain access to online lecture notes . I have decided to go with Apple's product since I already owned an iphone 5 and I like it , the problem is I dont know which to pick between an Ipad air and an ipad mini , Im in the path of both gaming and study , so give me some of ur opinions on this two . I dont want my hands to feel sore while playing games and it fits into my bag too .

2. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    I'd rather carry a desktop PC and an electric generator with me than having an iPad as my primary gaming device.

If you consider yourself a gamer I recommend you get a laptop (not a Mac), something that will run Windows. They have thin ones too, you know.

3. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    I would not get a iPad Mini 3 after the insulting update it received. The only difference between the 2 and the 3 was the fingerprint lock and the gold color. If you want a mini wait for a 4 and hope it gets more attention because the 3 was outdated before it was released.

4. Edmilan

Edmilan Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Philippines
    #4 Edmilan, Mar 18, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
    Depends on your gaming needs. I was previously a hardcore gamer but due to work and also having a family, I went into "softcore" but not casual. I primarily play Diablo 3: RoS for which my 2014 11" MBA is more than enough. Also, I play hardcore games on my iDevice like Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, XCOM, Bioshockk, KOTOR, GTA:SA. Portability is one i need the most and with my 6, I can play even if I'm at work. The iPad Mini 2 is the same with the 3 and for me is more portable and easier to carry and hence can game anywhere

5. Killerluffy246

Feb 23, 2014
    Asia
    #5 Killerluffy246, Mar 18, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
    Lol , u guys still havent answer my question , im comparing between ipad air and ipad mini , not pc . Everyone know gaming is best on pc hut im talking about bringing it to school , and I already have both laptop and a desktop . To be specific , lets compare between ipad air 2 and ipad mini 2 , or should I wait for ipad air 3 and ipad mini 4 ? (Ps : I have a budget limit of $400)

6. SherlockEB

SherlockEB Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 22, 2013
    iPad Air 2 is a lot stronger when it comes gpu and cpu and it has 2GB's of ram.

7. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    I think that I only use a laptop. That's enough. :)

8. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Well for portability I'd go with the mini. For everything else I choose iPad.

9. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Are you aware that Macs have been running Windows (not emulated, but with full compatability, and at full performance) since 2006?

10. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Don't get the mini because they gimped it. I would go with the ipad air2 if you need something right now. The mini is really good for its size and it is perfect for portability but the larger screen of the air is great for everything else.

11. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Sure, I just think you can get a better laptop for less money.

12. QuertzPerLiter

Mar 19, 2015
    He's right about that, Macs are over priced, just like an Alienware would be.

13. cthulhufan

cthulhufan Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Sep 5, 2013
    Systems Engineer
    Missouri
    Hell yeah he's right about that. Apple product is WAY overpriced for what you get.

The OP wants to know about form factor and fatigue. Hands down, the mini is better. I mean, you have to make the choice; are you going to use it for productivity or gaming? If it's even close to 50/50 then the mini *slaughters* the standard form factor. The mini is light and tight. On the other hand, if you are looking for some type of pseudo laptop then probably the air is better suited to your needs.

Just my $0.02.

14. Killerluffy246

Feb 23, 2014
    Asia
    Thx for all your suggestions , I have decided to get the upcoming iPad mini 4 .