Universal XCOM®: Enemy Unknown - (by 2K Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jun 19, 2013.

1. hourglass

hourglass Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2013
    This is ridiculous. Why did they pull the game off the App Store? I paid $20 for it on the day it released for iOS. I want to play it.

2. r10k

r10k Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Yeah, that is rediculous. Time to provide some feedback...

3. TheMerc

TheMerc Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2012
    You can still play it. Even if you don't have the game installed in your device (or backed up in your computer), you can simply go to the Purchased tab on your device and redownload it.

4. r10k

r10k Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Seems you're right... for now. Once a game is removed entirely from the App Store it's often removed from being able to download it as a past purchase.

5. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    If you want to ensure you won't run into that issue, back up the game on your pc/mac via iTunes.
    That way you'll always be able to install the game.
    That said,i highly recommend buying Enemy Within, it makes an amazing game even more amazing, and it's cheaper than what we paid for the original.

6. r10k

r10k Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Oh for sure, but it does seem crazy to take the original off the store so quickly.

7. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Yeh it really does. Always better things said in hindsight but if they'd have like a boost to sales, a strategy could have been to announce that the game will be removed by a certain date in the future maybe a month or a few months away. Some people would've probably bought both games knowing so. If they must take it down, that at least gives everyone a chance to do whatever.
    Who knows really why they did that.

8. tarasis

tarasis Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    I presume part of the reason was to avoid confusion and any expectation that they will continue to support the old version. I'm kind of okay with that, but I would have liked a warning.

9. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    Here's why they took it off:

Had they left it on the store, 70% of the recent reviews would have been 1 star reviews trashing it for not giving away the EW stuff for free, 25% of the recent reviews would have been 1 star reviews for not updating an old app to let them buy brand new content as DLC*, and the remaining 5% would be 1 star reviews from people complaining that they accidentally bought this thinking it had the enemy within stuff available.

They were protecting themselves and given the childish mentality of so many app store users, I don't blame them one bit.

It IS available for download in the purchased history for most regions, and while it is evidently not in some, I expect that's a glitch. XCOM:EU shows up on my devices and on my computers with iTunes as available for download, this would not be the case had it been explicitly pulled. This is a high profile store shuffle and I would give things a while for them to fix the errors before you go calling for burnings at the stake.

Besides, if any one of the people claiming they can't download it AND this affects them were telling the absolute truth, it would already be on a computer or on one of their devices because they were playing it/had it ready to install in under 10 minutes (and, therefore, they wouldn't me making this complaint ;) )
    What people are mostly mad about is the *idea* they might not be able to get it again even though they had already lost all real interest in having the game at ready access some time ago.

10. Crabman

Crabman Well-Known Member

May 24, 2013
    Berlin
    And i really can't imagine they will remove it from the purchase list.We are not talking about a 5 years old "one buck"app.

IF they really would do it i would call the apple support (which is quite good imo)and claim for a refund.

11. C.Hannum

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    There will be no support, that much is for certain. They haven't updated the app in 7 months, why would they start now when it's not even available for sale? It was already an effectively abandoned app. We've seen a whole new iOS version and generation of hardware launch and they supported that by making a brand new app.

As far as warnings go, the only times I've ever seen that happen are

1. The developer is losing publishing rights and wants to drum up quick sales* before the dev has to pull the app

2. Developer is knowingly going to not renew their developer's license and wants to drum up quick sales* before Apple pulls their apps

* Yes, sometimes the apps in question are free or even made free as a nice gesture, but that's not the usual way it goes.

12. scape211

scape211 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Graphic Designer
    I agree with this to likely be the main reason for pulling EU from the app store especially given the recent events with Monument Valley.

The only reason i could see leaving it up on the app store (at least for a little while) was as a discounted item for those that have not bought it on older devices who would not be able to purchase the new one.

Sure the new one is better in every way, but with all the buzz on its release, you'd think they would be able to benefit from some downloads of the old one at a reduced price for a bit, then take it down. Even if you did have some negative feedback, you'd still be taking it down.

Mind you I'm not saying I'm one of those people who are yelling to get EU back up. I will be getting my iphone 6 soon and will be purchasing EW without looking back. I'm just stating they could make a little more cash from EU me thinks...

13. C.Hannum

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    Refunds are only issued for purchases in the last 90 days, and can be done with an automated system at reportaproblem.apple.com if you are a recent buyer, and that is exactly what I would do if I'd purchased this in the last 3 months and put that $9.99 toward EW.

Otherwise, claiming you are due a refund because the developer pulled an app after 1.5 years would be a crapshoot at best, and their phone support people are just reading scripts, and those scripts say after 90 days you can't get a refund.

You *might* luck out, but given that there is certainly no legal reason they should be issuing refunds on purchases that old, nor a policy reason, nor even a good consumer relations reason, and given how long it often takes to get through to their support by phone, you had better be sure you think this "problem" is worth your time.

Also, they don't officially support iTunes purchases through their phone support anyhow, they want you to use the web form support - again, crapshoot if you get any help or not, since the phone people might just tell you to go the web, and the web actually goes through a parser first that tries to help you with automated support articles (which would tell you that you should have backed up your purchases to a computer :) )

At any rate, this horse is a grease spot in the dirt by now. It's pulled from the main store because people aren't reasonable, it won't be supported further, it IS available for download for most people, for those who say it isn't, probably half or more of them aren't seeing it for download in their purchased history because they already have it on their computer and have the "not on my computer" setting on in the purchased history, and, for the rest, it's either a quirk of their region's licensing laws or a glitch, lesson learned: back up your purchases if you care, Apple is under no obligation to cover your laziness. Think that covers it ;)

14. RoboWarrior

RoboWarrior Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2012
    Too bad was going to buy this come Christmas but looks like I lucked out. Only have a 4s so the new one doesn't work on my device :/.

15. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    So did they take these servers down too? I even trying to find a match for days but none are showing up

16. C.Hannum

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    I can't imagine any reason the multiplayer servers would still be running.

Would you keep running the servers on a game that cannot generate any new revenue ever, you stopped working on over 7 months ago, has been superseded by a quasi-sequel in every way, and for which the vast majority of interested players already switched?

17. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Oh Hannum, Hannum... A simple 'no you ��������ing idiot, install EW already' would have been just fine.
    =oP

18. C.Hannum

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    WTF, I made an objective observation on why I assumed the answer to your question was no and you twisted into an ad hominem attack in between your ears? Speechless here.

19. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    #1719 syntheticvoid, Nov 24, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
    You can take it however you want. I didn't take anything you said as an attack.

I was under the impression that faces meant smiles, not serious attacks.

But, whatever...

To clarify:;:

I was making fun of myself for buying but not installing EW yet as I still have yet to complete 1 game in EU. Not trying to make you think I thought you were attacking me.

It really was a stupid question, and I should have figured... But since no one had brought it up before now, I figured asking couldn't hurt, and was more interested in figuring out if it was an issue with my phone/connection...

No harm meant, just a playful jab at myself with you as the proxy in my imagination.

TONGUE STICK OUT SMILE FACE GO!

=oP

20. C.Hannum

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    Sorry, missed the whole "=op" emoticon the first time. Took your response as the sort of unintended squabble I sometimes have with my wife over my inability to ever answer a simple yes or no, everything gets qualified and supported with optional footnotes available on request :eek:

... back to normal thread ...