Lumines (PSP game) coming to Iphone !!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Betty 2K1, Aug 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Betty 2K1

Betty 2K1 Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
  2. PureSkill

PureSkill Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    We will see...
    Flour Bluff
    Nice, Lumines for the iphone due to come out late September or early October

But lets not forget, that we already have Blocks2 to play which is similar.

Although, a real Lumines will have more visuals and audio to it.

Hopefully, This new Lumines game will have good controls as well.

3. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Great news! Instant buy!

4. CaseyLay

CaseyLay Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    I can't believe that we're getting an actual PSP game. Although, Pipe Mania or whatever was a PSP game too, right?

But the PSP sure is receiving a ton of iPhone games. I think they could stand to give us a bit more. Maybe something more legit than a puzzle game.

5. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    This is pretty big news - a PSP game coming to the iPhone.
    Hopefull this will be the start of something great and we will see more PSP games coming to the iPhone. And as CaseyLay said, they do owe us quite a few games, now that iPhone games have been (or will be) ported to the PSP.

6. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    This is great news; believe me when I say that the original game is much better than any of the clones on the app store.

I'm not sure why anyone feels a sense of entitlement about how the iPhone somehow "deserves" to get PSP games since the PSP is going to get iPhone games - that is not how an open marketplace works. Anyone who thinks that needs to spend a little bit more time learning about a little thing called "Capitalism".

Long story short, it is easier to port the less-complex iPhone games to the PSP than it is to port the more-complex PSP games to the iPhone. Developers will only port if they feel that they'll be able to make enough money on the iPhone marketplace to justify the development costs.

Unfortunately, because of the attitude of many app shoppers, developers can't sell complex games at a profitable level. Too many people flip out and beg for a price drop if it comes at anything other than 99 cents.

If you want to see more premium games and more PSP games ported, the best thing you can do is buy games at their full price. Don't beg for a price drop, don't wait for a sale - support developers.

7. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    The original Lumines has to be on of my most played PsP titles.. I will deff grab this one when it hits the app store...

8. Maythius

Maythius Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Man, I really don't care how much they charge. As long as they don't water it down... I hope they don't screw this up.

9. Jeremy1026

Jeremy1026 Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2008

Too many people flip out when its not free. And even worse then that, when it is free but with ads.

10. robertf224

robertf224 Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Lumines is amazing this is great news

11. Justinth

Justinth Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2009
    They should charge 20 dollars and do a full on port.
    By then hopefully apple will be doing rankings by revenue.

12. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    In an ideal world, they could charge 10 dollars, and have 2 dollar dlc level packs.

Unfortunately, they're probably going to launch it at 6 dollars, get modest sales, drop the price, fail to promote the game after the price drop by launching a substantial update and thus fail to see increased sales, then ignore the game forever.

I think the term to use for this should be "chillingoing" your game.

13. globbits

globbits Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    I just hope they don't do what they did on XBLA and charge $2 for the menus, $4 for a few levels, $12 for some new skins, $8 for a couple more levels, $15 for an AI mode, etc ;)

Considering how long the game has been out and looking at the prices of other apps in the store, I don't they would get away with charging more than $10.

14. upsidedown

upsidedown Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    This was also for Xbox 360 arcade.

15. Chronical

Chronical Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    St. Gallen, Switzerland
    Whoot! I want to play Mondo Grosso - SHININ' (Shinichi Osawa REMIX) on my iPhone :D
    Yeah I hope they'll bring a full port, with real songs, not like the mobile version of Lumines with those crappy MIDI sounds.
    Oh and Multiplayer and DLC would be nice.

16. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    TBQH, as happy as I am for Lumines, I'd rather more ORIGINAL iPhone/touch games come out than ports from PSP...or DS for that matter.

And I don't only mean the indie games, though they are among the best in the App Store.

I want Gameloft to keep putting out games developed for iPhone/touch hardware, EA to do the same, id to keep the flame as they have for mobile gaming in particular iPhone/touch, and Capcom, Konami and Namco to increase their output as well. Most of all, though, I really want Sega to wake up from their crack induced slumber and start being Sega again, particularly on this platform where they have an advantage over all other devs.

We've got Gameloft hitting us with big budget games that matter (Gangstar: West Coast Hustle). EA is doing the same (our version of Madden looks to be an iPhone/touch original, as was NFS). id has already hit us upside the head with DOOM: Resurrection. Namco's been giving us good stuff with their updated classics. Capcom looks to increase support. Konami has hit us with some stuff, including MGS:Touch which, love it or hate it, was an iPhone/touch original exclusive. Sega's done the same in the past with the version of Monkey Ball, but we need more from them. Once we do, I don't think we'll miss out on DS or PSP games too much, tbqh.

17. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I'm concerned about the controls because Lumines almost requires more precision than achieved through a normal gamepad on higher levels... A virtual D-Pad is going to make things interesting.

18. Maythius

Maythius Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Honestly I think the control scheme for Blocks2 was extremely well done. Sure, a lot of people said it sucked, but that's because they didn't take the time to learn them. After 30mins of playing the game, I wasn't even thinking about the controls; I was successfully maneuvering the blocks without any issue. If Q? Entertainment stole that control scheme I would be quite happy.

19. dominator246

dominator246 Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2009
    #19 dominator246, Aug 25, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
    AGH! thought the title said lemmings! :( lol. btw what is lumines?

20. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Why would a virtual dpad even be necessary?

Wouldn't "tap to drop" or "tap where to drop" be an okay control system to use?

I don't think it would even be necessary to "slide" the piece to the area where you want to drop it. Instead, just tap on the area on which you wish to drop the piece. The game should automatically handle the movement of the piece above that area.

Tap on the area you'd want to drop the piece on, and either tap the piece itself, or a virtual "turn" button on one of the corners of the screen to change the orientation of said piece.

Using such a control method I think precision wouldn't be an issue at all, really. Dpad isn't necessary at all for such a game on this platform.