Question About Ipad

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by SirAwesome, Oct 30, 2010.

1. SirAwesome

SirAwesome Well-Known Member

May 20, 2010
    Hey guys wanted to get your opinion on something. I've currently got a 3rd generation Ipod Touch and love it, but the retina display has me drooling over the graphics. I was contemplating getting an Ipad but was unsure about it.

I love using the ipod for browsing the internet and playing games, but is the ipad worth it as those would most likely be my main activities on it.

Another thing that has me slightly concerned is the higher prices of the iPad games but more so, the iPad section of the TA seems a lot quieter than the iphone/ipod sections (not as many games, less sales, etc).
    Also how do the graphics look on the ipad compared to the retina are they close or more just like a blown up version of the iphone version? How do non native ipad games look running on the device, do they look horrible so you really do have to fork over the money and buy a game twice to play it on the ipad without it looking like total trash ? Is the battery life decent too while playing games/browsing?

Lastly, Is it even worth getting an ipad right now with a new one most likely coming out in the foreseeable future?

Thanks a lot for the help guys and sorry for the barrage of questions

2. Dead_Shot926

Dead_Shot926 New Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Could someone help me with the achievements:

50m Wheelie
    100m Car Jump

Thank you.

3. chrisf82

chrisf82 Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    4th year med student
    Tulsa
    #3 chrisf82, Oct 30, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
    I would wait. While there are some great apps for the iPad I would hold off for the next gen. Like you said, you have devices that suit your needs currently.

I have a MacBook, iPad (Wifi) and iPhone 4. I used my iPad a lot when it first came out. However, between all the great apps on the iPhone 4 and my MacBook, I personally find my iPad right now to be more of a novelty. Because, like you pointed out, between my computer and my other iDevice theres no new function that the iPad inherently brings.

One of the main reasons I would wait is the storage space. Every next gen iDevice released that I can recall has usually had upgraded storage. I bet the next iPad will top out at 128 GB. I don't think we'll see 256 since the MacBook Airs top out there as well.

As for the graphics. They look great. HD movies look awesome and SD movies/TV shows look good, but not great. As far as upscaling iPhone games/apps goes it depends on the graphics of the original game. If a game uses 8-bit or 16 bit graphics there's very little distortion. It's like zooming in on a square, it'll still look sharp. So a non-retina game that has nicer graphics will actually distort more. That being said, the nicer the graphics a game has, the easier to fork over the money to buy it again HD, I think. Makes you feel like you're getting value in return for your investment.

You're right about the app prices. However, they all tend to go on sale too and if it's a $5 app that you really want and would really use, then hey it's probably worth $5.

Just my two cents. You can PM me if you have other questions.

4. tangerine

tangerine Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I bought my iPad (64 gig WiFi) three weeks ago and I love it. Playing games is so much more enjoyable on the larger screen and the graphics are beautiful. I do not buy the iPad versions of games I already have. In fact, I'll buy the Touch version over the iPad version if the price is substantially different. This works well and I like the 2x version of the earlier versions. They look just fine to me. Also, remember that the holiday sales are showing up now and, if you're willing to wait a few weeks, it seems that just about everything goes on sale so check AppShopper every day. Yesterday I bought four games for 99 cents each - their original prices were $3 to $5.

I had sworn to myself that I would wait for the second or third version of the iPad before I bought one but, obviously, I didn't make it. I definitely do not regret the purchase. I now only use the iPod Touch for music. If I can take the iPad with me when I leave home, I do. If it's not feasible, I take the iPod.

If you really want more storage space or if you can't live without a camera, maybe you should wait. However, I think it will be at least six months before a new iPad version comes out and I couldn't wait. I'm glad that I got it now. It's a game machine for me and I am happy with it.

Anyway, good luck with your decision.

5. Slaysme

Slaysme Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Ohio
    I love my iPad. 32 3G model. If you want it and can afford it, jump onboard. As for the games, it seems like more and more devs are going with universal, as separate apps cannot take advantage of shared dlc, open feint , and I believe I heard multiplayer restrictions as well. Some devs choose the multiple application route for more sales, but I believe the separation of app stores will soon cease, as more exposure will be had from a universal app, which counts towards both sides of the charts. Taking the separate app route divides the sales charts as well as customer base.

However, there are instances of games being drastically different experiences on the iPad, and some iPhone/touch games scale like crud.
    I hate frogatto on the iPad, but love it on the my touch. Same goes for most non pad specific platformers.otherwise, I hardly notice being in 2x mode. Battery life is awesome, games look fine, comics and books look stellar.

As for waiting.... Who knows what the future holds, get an iPad now and something entirely new in the future..3ds psp2, Microsoft rrod pod, whatever.

6. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    I bought the iPad the day it was released, and I am so glad I did. I use it a lot more than I ever thought I would. Games look so much better on the bigger screen--it's a totally different experience. I agree with the above poster in that if I have an iPhone game I don't necessarily buy an iPad version. I have found that a lot of games look just fine on the iPad at 2x pixels. And if an iPhone game like Splinter Cell is on sale for 99 cents, I will try out the lite version on my iPad and if it looks ok I will get it.

The iPad is great for watching videos and browsing the web...much better than my old Touch. I mainly use my Touch for listening to music now.

I guess you just need to decide whether you want the portability of Touch or the awesome screen of the iPad. A lot of people like to advise others to wait for the next generation, which doesn't really make sense to me. There will always be something better coming next year. Always. So it doesn't make sense to wait, if what's available now is good enough for right now.
    Good luck on your decision.
    :)

7. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    If you can wait for the 2nd gen, wait for it. But the only thing that I can see them adding is a front facing camera (maybe a back facing camera) and maybe more ram? I don't see them adding a 128gb model yet. I was hoping for a 128gb model iPod Touch 4G, but that didn't happen, so I guess 64gb flash chips are still quite expensive.

Personally, I prefer gaming on my iPod Touch 4G instead of my iPad, depending on the game of course. But most for games, I prefer playing them on my iPod Touch 4G. The only games that I enjoy playing on my iPad are TBS/SRPG games like Battle for Wesnoth and War of Eustrath because they are better with a bigger screen. But then again, people are different.

Right now, I only use my iPad for browsing (using Atomic Web Browser), watching videos (OPlayer HD) and a tiny bit of gaming (Battle for Wesnoth since I finished War of Eustrath). I personally wouldn't sell my iPod for an iPad, but if you can get an iPad to use along with your iPod, then go for it.

8. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    I don't see an iPad replacing an iPod, it seems to be a different usage.

The iPad is not a fully handled device you can put in your pocket, and bring anywhere with you, and use it during public transports for example. It is just too big for that. You could use a wallet and try mimic such usage mode but it will never be the same than a true handled device like the iPod.

It's a very handy device for those with a flawed vision or too big fingers. But if you use constantly an iPod it means that you feel fully comfortable characters, graphics and touch controls on your iPod. So those points will be pointless for you.

The iPad shines for those both usages and for browsing the Internet I doubt your iPod could even compare. But an iPad will hardly compare an iPod because those sort of usages are related to a points quoted before, the iPad isn't a handled device easy to carry and use anywhere like the iPod is. For a usage anywhere at home the iPad is great but that's far to be anywhere.

There's an additional point to quote for an out of home usage, in many country the 3G won't support well the iPad requirement for much more bandwidth than an iPhone. So in practice in those countries using it in a 3G context instead of Wifi will be a pain.

Yeah all of that is right. Get all your games for free or for $.99 is easy on iPhone if you are a fan checking of often the sales, try do the same with the iPad versions will be a nightmare.

For the number of games the point is Universal games are put in iPhone thread. Also some iPad users use plenty iPhone games on their iPad but I don't think you'll do it when your iPod is for you a perfect tool. And anyway there's much more TA users of iPhone and games released on iPhone hence the much much bigger iphone forums activity.

For the sales unlike with iPhone section you should not use TA forum to warn you. Instead use an iPad application like appshopper (universal unlike most of not all similar) and make an account for the ipad only then change preferences to see only iPad and universal prices updates, plus manage wish lists to get warned more easily.

For example last week the number of sales of interesting iPad/Universal games was impressive. For this week and WE it's much less impressive.

But again it won't be like on iPhone where you could build a great game library through only free or $.99 games by checking often the sales.

The retina approach is a different approach it's much more pixels in a same surface. But with it's much bigger screen and it's very good definition (I mean number of pixel per cm2) plus the glossy screen, the iPad can be very impressive too for games look.

I'm not the right person to answer you on that because my vision is far to be perfect. There's different point of view. If despite you have an iPad you continue use a lot the iPhone/iPod for many games then it's just for greed or curiosity that you'll want have the iPad version too. If you use the iPad to play most games then it will be a nightmare until you give up rush on iphone games and wait for universal or HD version.

If you plan use only an iPad, many iPhone games look surprisingly good on the iPad but not fully perfect. For me it's great for most iPhone games but I don't think younger will agree. The point is when you become older most people start see less well from close and correction for that sort of vision flaw is far to be as perfect than correction for seeing far.

As always it depends of the applications used. But myself I felt the battery duration rather good.

As many quoted, you should take care that Apple release rule is to release one years later the new models of the same category in the new offering. It means that you have 3 month before to probably regret not have wait 3 month the new models.

If you ever decide to buy an iPad you should be very aware of this point and prepared look at the new models in 3 month with envy and probable some regret.

Because of this, if the iPad current price is a heavy investment for you, don't go for it now, it's too late.