RPG Comparison Questions

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by cookthroughtheages, Aug 9, 2012.

?

Games to Buy? Choose all that are worthy.

1. Eternal Legacy

23.5%
  2. Underworlds

8.8%
  3. Zenonia Series

32.4%
  4. Inotia Series

23.5%
  5. Spectral Souls

14.7%
  6. Seed Series

5.9%
  7. Exitium: Swords of Vardonia

11.8%
  8. Avadon and Avernum

50.0%
  9. Ravensword

44.1%
  10. Fara

5.9%
  1. cookthroughtheages

cookthroughtheages Active Member

Aug 9, 2012
    Hi, I'm Cook and I'm new at the Touch Arcade forums.

I'm doing a lot of thinking of buying into RPG Games for the iOS. I'm a more of old school turn-based combat good story RPG kind of guy than most of the dungeon crawlers with level up that I know. I love Suikoden, and if you ask me what's the best RPG in the world, I'll answer Suikoden, no reasons needed. Although, I do enjoy a good tactics games once in a while.

Anyways, the question is, what games should I get? I've been up all night last night looking at games and all I found are mostly retro-styled RPGs. Don't get me wrong. Not that I don't like it, but they're a lot and I mean a lot of them. But then, my question remains the same what should I get or what should I get first at least? And what games that I was not able to find in the archives of touch arcade that might be good? Also, does anybody know what's the update on the World Without End by Steve Uy? Because, it's been a long time since the last update. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Okay, here are some of the things that I saw and I'll ask.

1. Highborn?
    2. Mage Gauntlet?
    3. Battleheart or Raid Leader?
    4. Eternal Legacy or Chaos Rings Series?
    5. Spectral Souls or is there any other good looking strategy game out there besides Final Fantasy Tactics?
    6. Inotia Series or Zenonia Series?
    7. All of the Above?
    8. You guys have any other games in mind?

I like turn-based battle systems like Suikoden has and a good tactics game like Wild Arms or Final Fantasy Tactics and I'll settle for games that have real-time battle systems but not to a point that it becomes more dungeon crawling and not really having a good story line (That's why I want to know what's happening to Steve Uy's World Without End!). Help! Thank you, guys!

Note: I'm stuck in endless waves of tower defense and want a way out. :p

2. Varking

Varking Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2010
    Stand Up Comedian
    North Carolina
    Start with Eternal Legacy and the Chaos Rings Series.

3. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    Mage Gauntlet is like a more arcade-styled cousin of LOZ or SoM. Eternal Legacy left me feeling empty inside. The Chaos Rings games are good.

4. chaos_envoys

chaos_envoys Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Medical Doctor
    Pokke Village, Indonesia
    Chaos Rings is better than Eternal Legacy in every way...
    for tactics, FFT and Spectral Souls are on top of my list..
    I don't like KRPG like zenonia or inotia so no opinion for that part..

5. Issac

Issac Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    I haven't played it, but I have heard nothing but good things for Ravenmark (turn based strategy).
    Also, you may want to look into FF1,2,3 and Phantasy Star 2.
    I saw that you mentioned Ravensword. If you are interested in that, also check out Aralon. Awesome game.
    You also have Underworlds on your list - I personally love it, but it is a Diablo I alike, so if that's not your thing...
    Hope that helps.

6. cookthroughtheages

Aug 9, 2012
    hi, guys! thanks for all your comments! :) more comments are welcome since i really want a pool of games to choose from.

I was able to get the whole Chaos Rings series back on sale so okay I will start with that. Eternal Legacy will probably follow. Or, should I start with that because it might be a sad downgrade from the Chaos Rings series? :p

Thanks, guys!

Oh, that's one to think about. Is there at least a good storyline within? Thanks!

Thanks! Will probably get them both. Any other tactic RPG games out there?

Okie, hope anyone can give light to the KRPG info. Thank you again!

I'm still thinking of Ravenmark considering it's mostly turn-based strategy than RPG but I hear it has a good storyline. I took Total War Battles first but I might get Ravenmark still soon.

I have FF 1 and 2 for PSP/PS3 and finished FF 1 there already but I'll probably get FF 3. How does Phantasy Star 2 play?

Is Aralon a dungeon crawler game? It's what I see from the screenshots.

Underworlds is like Diablo, hmm.. have to think about that. :)

Yes, super helpful! Thank you!

7. Issac

Issac Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    Aralon is more in the vein of the Elderscrolls games - very open in design. There is a plot, but you don't have to follow it - you could just meander and adventure at your whim.

Phantasy Star 2 is a much more traditional, turn based jrpg. I personally love what I have played of it, and if you like games of that era chances are you will, too.

8. cookthroughtheages

Aug 9, 2012
    Thanks, I will check on Aralon. :)

JRPGs have mostly great storyline so maybe I'll look it up and most likely I'll get this. Thanks! :)

9. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #9 undeadcow, Aug 9, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
    None of the above; get Fall of Angels (jrpg). Another essential is The Quest Gold. Ash also has a good storyline and is more traditional.

Highborn is satisfying but definitely more turn based strategy, although easy to recommend. Another solid tbs series is Knighturn / Sword & Earring (Sw&Ear)

Battleheart > Raid Leader, but they are more line drawing action than "rpg."

Crimsonheart is a fun well regarded KRPG (top down action), as is Aurum Blade; both miles ahead of Zenonia/Inotia.

Some retro style jrpg goodies include Dragon Fantasy and Guardian Saga; plus there's always the goofy Cthulhu Saves the World.

I understand Workd Without End is coming just had to change programmers and solicit funding. Steve Uy responds to the thread here.

In my signature is a list of all iOS RPGs by subgenre.

Let us know what your decide and impressions.

10. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    Avadon and Avernum are pc quality RPGs. So they are must haves if you like D&D style RPGs. :)

Fara is more of a very casual adventure game and it's a bit on the short side.

Stay away from the Inotia series. Zenonia 1 and 2 are quite decent action RPGs. But I'd skip these and go for Mage Gauntlet instead.

Another strategy RPGs you might like to check out: Battle for Wesnoth.

11. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    I wouldn't say I regret playing Eternal Legacy, at any rate. It started off promising, but there were some annoying oversights in the gameplay. For one thing, they forgot to put elemental weaknesses on the monsters for the most part. You also start hitting max damage pretty early in the game so the best characters are ones with multiple hits in their attack. The story also peters out after some decent build-up.

Mage Gauntlet is broken up into levels, and there is dialogue that occurs whenever you're in a particular level rather than at a scripted point in the whole story. I wouldn't say the story is the main feature of the game in terms of depth, but it's funny and the twist at the end is oddly disturbing. Everyone here seems to like the game. There's also a second quest of sorts which is incredibly hard with remixed levels.

12. mattmanp

mattmanp Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    I'll add a vote for Avadon and Avernum getting listed. I love those games.

13. cookthroughtheages

Aug 9, 2012
    #13 cookthroughtheages, Aug 9, 2012
    Thank you!

Fall of Angels and The Quest will now be on my list of games to buy! Ash has been there at the top of my buy list for awhile and I probably will get the series now that I think it is actually one of the closest iOS games that will ever get near to a Chrono Trigger game.

How does Highborn play? I keep not understanding the gameplay from looking at the screens. Knighturn, and Sw&Ear looks very good. There's so much classes and items.

Battleheart it is then! Although mostly because it really is one of the cutest and nicest things to look at as an action rpg. :p

I have Aurum Blade. Didn't know it was that good. I will start comparing it with Zenonia then I'll get back to you on this. Crimson Heart I will get after that. :)

Those JRPGs are awesome and JRPGs are mostly just awesome so thank you for that list. :D

Have to ask.. are there any games that actually have great storyline, gameplay, and graphics all in one? Because, it seems it always only has one or two of these things. Reason why I really am looking forward for World Without End and thank you for that update. :D

Okay, I will check on that list soon enough! Thank you for all those details. Will probably just go play one and then buy the next one until I'm done with all of them and I'll tell you guys all about it. :D

Avadon and Avernum are one of the few games that look so beautifully done so I really want to try it although I really don't know how it plays that much. I would understand it's a tactic's battle system?

Fara, how does the physics go with the gameplay though?

Aww, thought Inotia was good, okie. Does Zenonia or Mage Gaunlet have storylines or just really a lot of killing monsters?

Battle for Wesnoth, is it still good? I thought the developer abandoned the project?

Thank you for all these info! All of you guys are really helpful! :)

Thank you! Should save up for those games then! Tactics turn based battle system right? :)

14. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #14 undeadcow, Aug 9, 2012
    ...well, there is always the Chrono Trigger iOS port; why settle for an imitation?

Click a unit then move each unit within their mobility range each turn, attacking any units within that range x1 per turn. The battles are large scale and take some time so to me feel satisfying.

Not sure there are many that haven't been mentioned. Maybe Spectral Souls (if you consider it's graphics good), but I haven't played it yet.

15. Issac

Issac Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    #15 Issac, Aug 10, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
    I second the Quest and Guardian Saga.

Also, I haven't played them on iOS, but I did try a Spiderweb (the developer) game from the Avernum series - one word: AWESOME! Even if you don't get it for your iPod/Pad, get one (or all) of his games for Mac or PC.

16. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Don't forget about shining force, by sega. Possibly the best early era " tactics " game.

If you want to try out krpg's, I'd suggest trying heroes of time. It's more story focused and less about endless fetch quests. From your comments I'd assume if you didn't like this you might want to stay away from krpg's.

Note: I'm not saying it's the best. I'm not sure what I'd give that title to.
    It's just by far the most story driven. And free to try.

17. cookthroughtheages

Aug 9, 2012
    Oh, okay. I'll be pretty sure to get it then. Hopefully it pans out and there's a sequel. Have they ever thought of making one btw?

Ya, TA did give it 5 stars. I guess I'll go through it as well in the middle of playing all of these. Thank you! :)

I know. It's just that it's on the iPhone. Maybe if they release an iPad version. I have it for my PS3 and I'll stick playing it there unless they give an iPad version.

And I've been stuck looking for games like Chrono Trigger and Suikoden especially Suikoden since the team in Konami creating it disbanded already and left a hole in my heart. I just want to have that nice storyline feel back. Anything also closely relateable to the Tales of, Star Ocean, etc. series is good. :)

Ooh, are the battle scenes just scenes or you do something in them. That's the part that look nice eh.

The only ones that I know are Chaos Rings and Spectral Souls. The next one would be FF III and FFT then most of the other games have lower graphics than that.

I'm not yet sure about Aralon because I remember trying it and creating a character which made me feel like it was Skyrim and all the other games being released in consoles today all over again.

Thank you! :)

I got Ash and Battleheart already last night. I probably will finish them first then go play more since the list of good games seem to be a lot. I'm starting with the cheaper but still quality ones since my money has to recuperate from the Mac OSX Mountain Lion and the sale of Chaos Rings that happened and I'm still a working student. :)

I saw The Quest and Guardian Saga. I really like Guardian Saga and The Quest is a bit on the before my time kind of gameplay that I haven't tried but I will be willing to give it a shot.

Yes, I know right. Spiderweb games are really something. I know they're worth it so I'll probably get them but for now I have to save them for last. :)

Thank you again, guys! :)

18. cookthroughtheages

Aug 9, 2012
    #18 cookthroughtheages, Aug 10, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
    Ya, I should get that. I saw it and it does look like a nice tactics game.

Is that Heroes in Time from the SEED Series? I didn't know that it was the third installment until just now. If I like it, I have to get the other ones too so I will see and hope I do. It really looks great on the screenies. Ya, I think I stumbled on KRPGs when I was researching and said there might be a possibility to venture into it so I'm still thinking.

Okie, thank you! Will check on Heroes in Time then. :)

19. wolowizard

wolowizard Active Member

Jul 7, 2012
    Check out CrazyQuest if you haven't already. There's not much in the way of story, but as far as old school turn-based RPG goes, you can't be much more spot on. It doesn't have the production value of some of the others, but it's completely free (no IAPs either), so it's definitely worth checking out.

Here's a great interview that Varking had with the developer: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=146734

20. cookthroughtheages

Aug 9, 2012
    ooh, thanks! :) i will check it. :)