Defender Chronicles (published by Chillingo)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Kartel, May 20, 2009.

1. Kartel

Kartel Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    #1 Kartel, May 20, 2009
    Last edited: May 20, 2009
    Funny how this game has had 5 different threads but no official thread so I'm making it now. Also Chillingo (surprise surprise) has announced they are publishing.

http://www.defenderchronicles.com
    http://appgamer.net/news/2009/may/19/defender-chronicles-be-published-chillingo/

2. eggzbacon

eggzbacon Well-Known Member

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
    When is it coming out?

3. Mohawk

Mohawk Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    any info on release date?

4. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    no date just yet. We're still working hard on the beta testing

5. Rocketman919

Rocketman919 Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
  6. iGame

iGame Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    I don't understand why devs want Chillingo to publish their games...Chillingo has over 100 apps published, and the majority of them are shit.

7. Seishu

Seishu Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Student
    us of a
    I can't wait for this game, I wish they would announce a release date.

8. Rocketman919

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    Dont tell us testers, tell the devs.

9. Rocketman919

Aug 8, 2008
    Cali-forn-i-a
    Uh, maybe they cant announce one because they dont have one? Duh!?!?

10. Kartel

Kartel Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2009
    But... that's a fault of the devs (particularly those back in 2008). Devs don't care about that, what they care of is that Chillingo has been recognized due to the fact that they have at published at least 10 original IPs and have established a reputation that way.

So if you're dev "Gamecity" no one will give a damn but people recognize Chillingo and flock to your game cause of it. Plus Chillingo actually help devs get a buzz which helps sales, unless of course you want to go the route of iDroids and decide to release with no hype whatsoever.

11. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    and lets not forget the fact that Chillingo does what all publishers do, they give out money in advance so devs can complete their game.

Chillingo also asks for less share of the profits than some of the other publishers on the appstore

12. Knight

Knight Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Game Developer
    Out of all the new TDs coming out, I am watching for this one.

To be honest though, it sounds like this game would have done well regardless of whoever is publishing it. The game looks and feels great so far from what I have seen.

13. guille22xt

guille22xt Active Member

May 17, 2009
    This game looks extremely good, and polished!
    Hope it comes out soon!

14. Spartan12103

Spartan12103 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    USA
    Haha I'm testing it and it is great. One of the most played games on my Toich as a matter of fact. Just remember guys that the publisher isn't all important, it'll just help with the promotions and coverage.

15. Gimka

Gimka Well-Known Member

VegantTnT, Rocketman, Spartan, thanks. Also thanks to Kartel for creating the thread.

We are happy to have Chillingo as the publisher. I guess we can say that DC is now a brother to Hardgore :)

We have always wanted to talk more about the game here but the publishing deal had been getting in the way. But now, if anyone has any question about the game, feel free to drop them here. I’ll try my best to answer any question that you have.

I would like to also acknowledge that the help that we have received from your fellows at Touch Arcade here have been amazing, to say the least. They have been helping us to design & shape the game non-stop since 3 months ago. We, Gimka and Menara can’t take all the credits. This is not just another game; this is a game from a joint effort of Gimka, Menara, and Touch Arcade! I, personally, feel very convenient to be here, in this forum. TA is like a home for this game. I really hope the game won’t be a stranger to anyone here.

To answer the first question, DC should be available sometime in mid June. Please keep in mind that, as in any dev project, unexpected things may happen that can push the dates further. But, I will try to be as transparent as possible. The dates below are not official but something that I have in mind:

May 22nd – features complete
    May 25th – 29th – final testing/polishing
    June 1st to 12th – sending out preview builds, submission, apple review

16. Spartan12103

Spartan12103 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    USA
    Haha it might be out on my bday!

17. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator

Jul 19, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    That would be terrible! Then you'd have to deal with people bugging you with "Happy Birthday" while you're trying to play

18. Coral

Coral Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    How's the progress going?

19. Gimka

Gimka Well-Known Member

The game is done. We are spending few more days for fine-tuning the wave data and final testing to make sure everything is solid. Fine-tuning the wave data is a long and tedious process and we have to do this for all the 24 levels (6 maps x 4 difficulty levels). But we are committed to get it right and have no plan to rush it.

There are multiple ways the enemies can get into the game. Unlike a traditional TD games, in addition to just coming from a fixed spawn point and following a fixed path, the enemies can also come from the sky (dropped or flying), raised from the ground (undead), or coming out from a cave/hole. Some enemies may also spawn more enemies. A map can also have more than one destination to defend. So, there are multiple variables that we can play out to make sure each map is giving a unique and refreshing experience.

One major feature that has made us late to submit this is the addition of FreeStyle (Random) mode. Here, the enemies will be generated randomly on the fly. But, of course, the game can not just simply throw any random enemies; as that won’t be fun or even, playable. Instead we have developed a new formula that will guarantee the created gameplay to be solved-able, challenging and dynamic. This is a new technology that has taken us 2 weeks to implement. The idea itself is already there for 2-3 months; but we have only come up with a good solution to implement this few weeks ago.

Here are some new screenshots for you all. Have a great weekend! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
    Congrats on finishing the game. Looks like it was worth the extra time. Hope to play it soon. :)