In-app Advertising: Mobclix vs. Admob Numbers!

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by fairlady, Mar 5, 2010.

1. fairlady

fairlady Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Owner: Fairlady Media
    Raleigh, NC
    Hi, all,

For those of you who do in-app advertising in your free apps, you may be familiar with the Mobclix Challenge that was run in December. Well, today Mobclix announced that they won the challenge, and our app, Spazzle, was featured as a case study on their site.

I've posted some behind-the-scenes numbers on our blog so you can see how the two companies compared during the Challenge period. Then, just for kicks, I ran the numbers for the last two weeks in February to see whether Mobclix is still coming out on top. The results may surprise you...

Check it out:
    http://bit.ly/b6Kwg5

Enjoy! :)

2. nattylux

nattylux Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    That's really interesting - thanks for posting. I've wanted to see data like this for a while. We are only using AdMob right now, but I've always wondered if we can be making more with another platform.

You said you're continuing to use both platforms right now. Are you able to run any kind of optimization to try to serve the highest-CPM ad at any given time? Or are you just tracking results day to day to see which platform is doing better?

3. fairlady

Dec 31, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Currently we're just sending 50% of the ads to each advertiser with no optimization. That's how we set it up when the Challenge started and we've been watching the numbers ever since. Glad it's helpful for others to see the numbers as well! :)

4. jrtb

jrtb Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    AdMob provides CPM data with an average 5-10 minute delay. MobClix is usually about a day behind with CPM data. It might be possible to publish the performance data on our website and then have the apps bias the percentage on which ad to show based on the data coming from the website. The data would be a day old but still might allow a slight increase in performance for us (maybe as much as 10-15%). This is essentially what MobClix, AdWhirl and other Ad aggregators are already doing. The optimal thing would be if MobClix included AdMob as one of their ad services ;)

Because the two have been so close, there hasn't been much incentive for changing - but we may certainly look at doing something like this soon! :)

Thanks! :)

5. mundue

mundue Active Member

Dec 28, 2009
    iOS & OS X developer
    Colorado
    This is an Apples to Oranges comparison. I'm not surprised with the results. I don't fully understand your non-standard metrics, why not compare eCPM directly? In any case, AdMob is a single ad network, Mobclix should be more properly compared to AdWhirl or Tapjoy mediation layers. Also, there's very little transparency with Mobclix (no earnings/payment history), and getting payment from them has always been a hassle.

6. fairlady

Dec 31, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    For us, it is an apples-to-apples comparison, because regardless of how the company selects ads to place in our games (ad network or not), our primary concern is whether or not those ads will convert to revenue. I used the simpler metric because there are lots of non-devs who read our blog and wouldn't know what an eCPM is... but now that you mention it I'll probably add it as a column. They're both derived from the same numbers (revenue and impressions), so the results will be the same.

Regarding payments from Mobclix, we've been told that they're on a 75-day payment cycle. So, earnings from December are due before March 15.

7. GavinBowman

GavinBowman Well-Known Member

We must be doing something wrong, we never seem to get anywhere near to a dollar for 400 impressions. Congrats :).

8. nazara_tech

nazara_tech Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2009
    project manage
    India
    I have few questions they are as folows :-

1. Which one is better admob or tapjoy ?

2. Regarding payment how much time admod takes ?

3. Regarding payment how much time Tapjoy takes ?

9. nattylux

nattylux Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    I didn't even notice that! So that's an eCPM of $2-3, which is off the charts. Congrats! Now seeing what we could tweak to get our CPM higher....

10. nazara_tech

nazara_tech Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2009
    project manage
    India
    Still waiting for answers from people.

11. espinchi

espinchi New Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Here's two posts that compare our experience with Admob vs Mobclix: first round and second round.

@nazara_tech: I can only answer to the second question: Admob's payment for the revenue you generated on May will get to you by the beginning of July. That is way sooner that Mobclix, but I have no idea about Tapjoy.

(Yes, you might argue I'm just advertising my own blog, but it is relevant to this thread.)

12. TylerWhiteDesign

TylerWhiteDesign New Member

13. Moonjump

Moonjump Well-Known Member

May 17, 2010
    Game designer
    Lincoln, UK
    MobClix do now include AdMob (I realise the post I am quoting is an old one. As this thread has come to the top of the list again, I thought I would update the info for anyone reading the history of the thread, like me).

14. Noodler

Noodler Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Apples

Now to upset the Apple cart very much.

New survey 50,000 users for Admob many making big cash

15. amigoni

amigoni Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Italy
    #15 amigoni, Feb 1, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
    Can't see the data.

This is great info. Thanks for posting. Very very interesting.