iPhone Flame of the Deep - Retro Isometric Dungeon Crawler

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by redflame, Jan 6, 2013.

1. redflame

redflame Member

Jan 6, 2013
    #1 redflame, Jan 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
    This project is still fairly early in development but I decided to post about it now to get some sense of the community's interest in a game like this.

The game is a retro dungeon crawler, inspired by games such as Solstice, the Immortal, Equinox, Dungeon Master and Zelda. The game will feature combat, platforming, puzzle solving, exploration and character growth through item acquisition and learning new spells. You play as a Wizard, most of your offensive abilities come in the form of spells and ranged combat using your staff. Spells can be used for both offensive purposes and to help solve the environmental puzzles.

Puzzles range from the simple to difficult, simple examples include: pressure plates to open a door, move a block to make a jump, freeze an enemy with ice magic to get across some spikes. With combat, choosing the right spell for the enemy or situation and using the environment will be required to be effective (an example would be using wind spell to knock an enemy into some spikes).

Additional Information:
    * Universal with support for all the various resolutions.
    * No IAP - pay once and get the whole game.
    * Should run fine on the iPhone 3GS, perhaps even on older hardware.
    * Pure 2D rendering using a limited color palette (NES) and approximately NES resolution - adjusted for device aspect ratio and integer scaling (no pixel distortion).
    * While the rooms here fit in view, the view scrolls as the player moves so rooms can be much bigger as well.
    * 20 hours of gameplay planned (more if players explore fully).
    * Multiple difficulty levels.
    * No experience levels or grinding, everything is upgraded from items that you find or buy, including health and magic, similar to most of the Zelda games.
    * Optional content, many spells in the game are not required to complete the quest, for example, but will make some encounters and puzzles easier. Remember to explore. :)
    * Hint system - stuck and don't know what to do? You can ask the game to give you a hint, similar to some of the newer Adventure games. Obviously this should only be used if needed, so there will be an achievement for getting through the game without asking for hints (or only asking X times).

So how far along is the game?
    * Custom built editor working and used to build the rooms you see below.
    * Player movement, jumping, physics and collision. The player graphic is not complete (using a placeholder), which is why its not shown in the screenshots.
    * Story and game-flow fleshed out.
    * 50% design complete.
    * Core engine mostly complete.
    * First floor of the dungeon about 20% complete (though still missing final touches such as more decoration sprites, enemies and loot).

Next steps:
    * Finish the first level of the dungeon.
    * Finish the player graphics and animation.
    * Finish setting up treasure, items and triggers.
    * Enemies & combat.
    * Release a gameplay video.

I will update this post in the future with the full story and a gameplay video. But for now I'll leave a few screenshots.
    (Blurring in the screenshots caused by shrinking from 1024x768 - iPad 1 resolution - to fit in the forum).

Here I'll show some screenshots from the latest work - screenshots are best viewed at full resolution.

Click on screenshots to view at full resolution:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Captive

Captive Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2011
    Hi Redflame,from the discription you give this game looks and sounds very interesting,i really liked all of the games you listed as inspiration so am definately wishing you luck with this game.

3. gemineye62

gemineye62 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    This does remind me of games I used to play on my Amiga computer.
    I'll definitely keep an eye on this.

Thanks

4. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Flame of the Deep sounds amazing and the retro isometric graphics looks promising. It sounds like with a built editor and core engline functional with 50% of the design complete you guys have come a long way. It's hard to tell how the game will perform from the details above but what is there sounds very exciting. I'd definitely enjoy a game like this. Please do keep us update. Thank you also for making the game universal for us iPod/iPhone users.

5. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Ooh, this looks great! :D

6. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Glad to hear it will run on 3Gs. This is definitely worth keeping an eye on.

7. redflame

redflame Member

Jan 6, 2013
    Thanks for the awesome responses. I just recently finished integrating the game UI. The on-screen UI will be minimal, though you will have access to an automap, inventory and so forth of course. Once the proper player character sprite is in and a little bit more art I'll show some more screenshots. A gameplay video shouldn't be too far beyond that. :D

Once the gameplay video is up I'll probably post this in the iPhone/iPod upcoming games area too - probably where I should have put it to begin with since it is Universal.

8. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    It sounds like a lot of attention is being given to level design, which is great. It might be interesting if the developers included a roguelike endless challenge mode to increase replayability.

Will there be multiple player classes? If so I'd be curious to hear more information. The original information references character animation in a way that implies there may be only one figure.

How will combat be? Is this a turn based style game or continuous action/movement (like Zelda)? ...or will combat even be a primary focus with the emphasis on puzzles?

Thanks in advance.

9. redflame

redflame Member

Jan 6, 2013
    I'm considering a "New Game +" option with increased challenge and "remixed" layouts, similar to the Second Quest in Zelda. What you suggest might also be doable, but the primary focus is on getting the core game done right now, so this decision will be made later.

There will be one character, which the game will be tailored for. In this regard, think of Zelda or the Immortal.

Combat and action will be realtime and continuous. There will be a mix of combat, puzzle solving and exploration - but more in the line of Zelda, Metroid, Equinox rather then Diablo. Also in some cases enemies themselves may be used to help solve a puzzle or get through a room.

10. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    This sounds interesting; I can't think of many iOS games with this sort of focus. I'll be on the look-out for more information as it comes avaliable.

11. venasque

venasque Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Sounds cool. I look forward to anything more you're able to show us during it's development.

12. Item_Screen

Item_Screen Member

Dec 31, 2012
    The graphics are awesome. Can't wait to try it.

13. cofunguy

cofunguy Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    Definitely interested but sure hope there is some way to change the background color. Too much green for my taste plus a little hard on the eyes.

14. redflame

redflame Member

Jan 6, 2013
    Different areas will use different background graphics / colors - the whole game won't have green walls / floors.

15. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Looks a bit like an 8 bit...oh what was that genesis game called, Equinox I think? Is that the style of gameplay you're shooting for?

16. redflame

redflame Member

Jan 6, 2013
    The Immortal is the game you are thinking of. It is certainly an inspiration - specifically the NES version - but won't be as unforgiving (at least not at Normal difficulty). The game will also have some of the aspects of Solstice/Equinox and classic dungeon crawlers.

You will directly control your character - able to manipulate objects in the environment (switches, push objects, pressure plates, etc.). You'll be able to jump and have to navigate some areas like Equinox or Solstice. The character will be able to cast spells, learning new spells as he travels and upgrading himself using equipment, similar to Zelda.

Combat will mostly be ranged, your Wizard will have a basic ranged attack using his staff that can always be used and selection of spells with different affects. The combat is realtime and in the same view as everything else - think of Zelda or the Immortal on the Amiga (not the NES or Genesis version in this case, no seperate combat screens), except with spells and ranged attack rather then melee.

Not all spells will be offensive and some will rely on the environment. For example, one is a Wind spell that pushes enemies or objects within its cone of effect but does not damage directly. So what can you do with this? Push objects from areas you can't reach so they are accessible, push enemies away if they get too close, push enemies off a ledge and into spikes - killing them, deflect a deadly projectile before it can land and more. Some spells, like Fireball, may be powerful but have side effects that can be disastrous or a boon - such as area of effect damage when it explodes. It could kill a group of enemies but just as easily kill you if you're too close. It could light up some torches in a dark room full of dangers or melt the ice bridge, causing you to have to find a new way around.

There will be a lot of exploration and optional content - you'll need to explore fully if you want to really prepare for the dangers deeper in the dungeon, or can skip ahead and enjoy a greater challenge. More advanced challenges may have multiple solutions - if you're properly prepared and have a keen eye you may find an easier solution, or at least a novel one. But there will always be a solution, you'll never be able to leave behind something you really need to beat the game.

Basically I'm going for a quality, thoughtful and fun experience with solid content while striving for the atmosphere that was so captivating about the best old 8-bit games of yore.

17. cofunguy

cofunguy Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    Maybe so but all the screenshots show lots of green in the background. Might be good to show the variety in some different screenshots.

18. redflame

redflame Member

Jan 6, 2013
    I will on the next update. :) I'll post another update once some more art and sound is complete - so I can show a proper video.

19. redflame

redflame Member

Jan 6, 2013
    I was going to wait for the video to update. However I have the first pass of the UI integrated, the character and a variety of sprites. In addition the player can now take damage and die as well. I'm currently working on the trigger/state system, which will be how pressure plates, doors, treasure chests and so forth work followed by basic combat.

Anyway these are basically the same rooms as last time, but the other rooms aren't really ready to show yet.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

20. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Very nice picture update! Will movement be continuous or stop-start turn based?