ipod/iphone physical keyboard

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by dewy666, Jun 29, 2009.

1. dewy666

dewy666 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    do you reckon with the new release of the 3.0 sdk and all the api's in-particular landscape keyboard in apps and device developement it will be possible to create a physical keyboard that is open source to be used for applications:confused:

for example emails, notes, word processing
    possibly slide out combined to a case or connected to a gamepad

please give your views

if this is in the wrong the please move it

Thank you:)

2. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    I think the cool thing about the iDevice is the touch screen. If seems silly to get a touch screen and then add on a physical keyboard.

3. dewy666

Dec 7, 2008
    but just for speed of typing i love the touchscreen keyboard but it gets frustrating at times

4. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    Go get a blackberry

5. dewy666

Dec 7, 2008
    no iphone is great for games now try play bia or ttr on your precious blackberry

6. HardcoreEricXXX

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    Get an iPod touch

7. dewy666

Dec 7, 2008
    i have one but i meant for this thread to be a discussion about the idea of an external physical keyboard not just saying get this get that

8. PixelthisMike

PixelthisMike Well-Known Member

I would never consider an external physical keyboard if one were available. I find the virtual keyboard in conjunction with the automatic spelling correction to be pretty efficient and I wouldn't want my device any larger by adding a bulky physical keyboard to it.

9. crimson.

crimson. Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    I don't have one...
    In AMERICA.
    We don't want one. That defeats the purpose of the touchscreen. I type faster on my iPhones touchscreen than any physical keyboard. You just have to use it a lot and get used to it.

10. GaiaIllusion

GaiaIllusion Well-Known Member

May 6, 2009
    Student
    加拿大
    I'm totally used to using the virtual keyboard on my iPod now, it seems rather pointless to learn over how to use a small tiny keyboard attached to the device I'm trying to listen to music or play games on.
    It's definitely possible, but why bother when the whole point is the touch screen?

11. HardcoreEricXXX

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    Well if you wanted the funtionality (word processing, email) and physical keyboard on a mobile device, you should of got a Blackberry. Then supplement it with an iPod touch for gaming and entertainment. Why carry 3 electronics when you can carry 2.

12. antonioj

antonioj Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2009
    You guys don´t get it. This could be good for long sessions of text entry, for example on a plane trip. Right now, making really serious text editing on the iphone is impossible. Having external bluetooth keyboards support, would effectively alow to use iphone/ipod touch has a netbook replacement. All other smartphone alow that, because even the ones with physical qwerty keyboards attached are not good enough for this purpose.

Besides, this would alows to use the entire screen for text viewing/editing, instead of having the virtual keyboard occupying a big part of the screen

13. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    I totally get what you are saying but know for sure that I would not be interested. I used to own a Psion 3 and a Psion 5. Two machines renowned for their keyboards but i'm sure i'm 90% as quick on my iPhone. it's the multitouch that does it, it puts it way beyond any other onscreen keyboard and is about twice as quick as any T9 text input I've used.

I'm sure one of those neat, folding bluetooth keyboards that were popular on Palms etc. a few years ago would have quite a market among those who think they need a keyboard and are buying Blackberrys or G1s but i'm not sure it would sell well amongst people who have actually got to know the onscreen keyboard.

14. crimson.

Mar 9, 2009
    I don't have one...
    In AMERICA.
    It seems like no one agrees with you.

15. dewy666

Dec 7, 2008
    i think it would be a great idea i didnt mean it for texting saying
    how are you, what you been up to
    and so on
    i meant for properly writing
    like stories reviews long blogs
    e.t.c
    and with the extra space you could maybe have a color changer font size and the auto correction on words would work the same way

16. daveak

daveak Well-Known Member

Can't say I want a physical keyboard, but I see no reason for one not existing, in fact I expect one to appear, similar to the game pads that are starting to crop up. Something similar to the extended batteries that act as a case and plug into the dock to give you a slide out keyboard.

17. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    There's really no point seeings as there's no app that provides complete and seamless integration with Microsoft Office. You'd basically be getting keyboard for emails and texts. Emails, lets face it, if this is really important, the microsoft suite probably is too, and you have a blackberry. Texts are suppose to be under 160 characters, so...

18. dewy666

Dec 7, 2008
    but what is to stop devs from designing an app like this though

19. PixelthisMike

PixelthisMike Well-Known Member

Well nothing really. Unless Apple decide they won't allow competition with their virtual keyboard :p

20. crimson.

Mar 9, 2009
    I don't have one...
    In AMERICA.
    But what is the point if no one wants one but you?