SteamPirates official thread, upcoming rpg

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Luc Bernard, Jan 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luc Bernard

Luc Bernard Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2009
    Ruler of pugs
    PugLand
    [​IMG]

I wanted to start a proper thread for SteamPirates since it's coming out in February.

Just to introduce myself I'm creative director on the title, also I worked on Mecho Wars.

[​IMG]

SteamPirates is a traditional rpg, that features turn based battles like Final Fantasy etc...

The entire game is touch control, that means no virtual D Pad or anything like that, it's got a very nice control method that feels better than games with D Pads (I just have a problem with the virtual D Pad's)

The soundtrack is entierly orchestral and quite epic, you can find it here.

http://www.seanbeeson.com/featuredarticles/521-steam-pirates-ost.html

There is also a badge system.

What is the Badge System?

The Badge System is a character progression and customization mechanic based around level ups that is used to "power up" characters in SteamPirates. The Badge System is a customizable set of abilities/improvements that come in addition to standard leveling up improvements. In most ways, it is a simple "Skill Tree" found in other games.

How does it differ from a skill tree?

The goal of the badge system is multi-fold:

1) A character's badge tree has a total of 8-9 abilities which a player can customize and prioritize.

2) Customizability. Because we want to hit both the casual and gamer crowds, this system will give the "gamer" crowd something to spend some time on. Players will enjoy the fact that one Kat can be different from another Kat.

3) Flexibility. The kicker for the Badge System is that it's very flexible. You can change your skill allocations at any time while you're not in battle. In town, in dungeons, on the high seas. No more frustration with worrying whether or not you've gimped your character with your skill selection. No costly re-specs. Players can fiddle to their hearts content until they find something that works for their play style.

[​IMG]

Also SteamPirates will have mini games in it, like most console rpgs to make the gameplay more interesting at times.

The mini games will be

Ship Battles : battles in real team with your ship that you can customise

Defend Angel's House : in this mini game similar to Knights Onrush you have to defend Angel's house against Cats attacking it, so use your finger to throw the cats off the screen before they reach his house

Puzzle Pug : a match 3 mini with some other neat bonuses

All all these mini games will feature openfeint leaderboards and will be as deep as the other games in those genres, so you're not just getting one game with SteamPirates but several.

[​IMG]

Also the game has platforming sequences to add.

[​IMG]

Here is part of the intro story for people that are interested.

Once upon a time, a young baby girl was left desolate on the eastern shores of Cat Empire. Upon the discovery of her tightly bundled body in a picnic basket by a feline couple recently been saddened by the news of their inablility to have kittens of their own, they decided to adopt the human child and raise her as thier ownÂ…and they named her Kat. As Kat grew older, the other Cats began to notice that she was not like them for she had no fur and so they tormented and bullied her for many years, until one day she decided to set off into the seas to find her true identity and where she came from.

[​IMG]

The game's story is not like other rpgs, well it's not like SEED, so no stereotypes of young boys wanting to be warriors or something like that, instead it goes way more ridiculous.

[​IMG]

On the enemies to battles there will be several different types, from Venice inspired baddies to cats to robots.

Here is a mock up that has 5 different bad guys from the game that you can expect to battle.

[​IMG]

We still haven't decided on a launch price yet, so well maybe you guys should tell me on twitter what price you would buy the game for.

http://twitter.com/LucBernard

Expect gameplay videos to come at the end of the month, any questions just ask in this thread.

Attached Files:

2. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    Hey Luc, looks sick! Been waiting for this one since I saw the priview on it. Can't believe it's coming out so soon, it felt like forever when they first announced it would be in February.

As for me, I'd probably pay anywhere from 5 to 7 bucks for a game like this. Finally, a real turn based RPG... the one thing I've been dying for. The ridicuous story is definetly going to boost the popularity... getting kinda tired of the cliche stories myself.

Hope this does well, really looks like an awesome game.

3. SunriseMoon

SunriseMoon Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    THIS LOOKS AWESOME! I'd buy the game for $1.99 or so. It looks like it'd be worth about that much, but I'm not sure how long it is...I can't wait for the game!

4. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    I'd say that that's a bit low of a price... I paid that price for Elven Chronicles, and from the looks of things, this is going to be WAY better, possibly the most in-depth one on the store. This is going to be killing me to wait for...

I see myself staying up for the release of this game like I attempted with NOVA.

5. SunriseMoon

SunriseMoon Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Eh, $3.99 - $4.99 then.

6. supermariofan

supermariofan Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    I don't know what to think of this game right now, I'd have to see a gameplay vid.

7. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    February!? Sigh, I thought it was coming out in January :( The artwork is fantastic as usual and the badge system sounds amazing.

Now I wait... so very very impatiently...

8. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    The badge system reminds me of two games actually:

Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga - There were a ton of badges that allowed for different stat increases and decreases, along with small abilities like being able to jump on spiked creatures.

AND

The World Ends With You - The different badges allowed for different attacks, specials, and stat changes. It was such an in-depth system too, it made half of the game for me.

I really have high hopes for this game. Good luck!

9. tmcaffeine

tmcaffeine Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Those graphics look amazing.

10. Sukal

Sukal Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    I think 4.99$ would be a fair bet, since this game might not appeal to mainstream audiences at first glance. Don't get me wrong, I think it will be an awesome game, but having a unreasonable introduction price and dropping it really burns early adopters. This usually results in bad feedbacks or negative reviews.

11. kingkong120

kingkong120 Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    This looks definitely at least $4.99. Sorry if I didn't see it, but other than the badge system, will there be other customizable options, like equipment/weapons or anything like that?

12. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    #12 Isilel, Jan 8, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
    Please, let an English native speaker check your text and/or provide an option to play in French!

Everything else sounds and looks great. I suggest pricing at 5 bucks.

13. Luc Bernard

Mar 4, 2009
    Ruler of pugs
    PugLand
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/desolate

that is actually a word in the english language :p

14. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Cue the The Princess Bride : "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

What you mean to say IMHO, is that the baby girl was abandoned.

Not to rile you up or anything - I just want this game to be as good as possible - which includes decent/good writing.

15. Luc Bernard

Mar 4, 2009
    Ruler of pugs
    PugLand

it still means the same thing :p

16. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    I'll be buying just for the art style alone. Can definitely see the similarities with Mecho Wars.

17. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Look, it really doesn't. Desolate = abandoned as an adjective (which your Meriam-Webster link also says), but not how you use it. Seriously, native speaker edit FTW.
    Anyway, would it be possible to play it in French? I'd really like to combine some language practice with entertainment ;).

P.S. I really like that head from Mecho Wars hanging on the wall :).

18. Luc Bernard

Mar 4, 2009
    Ruler of pugs
    PugLand
    well the pugs in the game are french so there is alot of fake french accents done with the dialogue lol :)

19. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Is it too early to say best-looking (graphically speaking) game on the App Store?

Nah. Best-looking game on the App Store.

20. Joshn

Joshn Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    England
    How many hours of game play (not including minigames)?