Any devs know blender?

Discussion in 'Developer Services and Trade' started by The prez 12521, Mar 21, 2010.

1. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    Hello Everyone!

I am very interested in 3D modeling and editing. I started on google sketchup and became quite good at it. But, I realized thats not enough. One day I want to help make that level in Call of Halo: Iraq. But, I have to learn. And so why not start with something free, and hard, but very worth it. Blender. Blender can animate, and even (with python language) make games. Of course I'm not focused on that currently. I want to learn what to do. I am reading 'Blender for Dummies' and enjoying it, but its not enough. The author describes everything in blender, then goes on to talk about how to make stuff. And i can't just skim because he notes almost everything in chapters ahead.

I posted this in the developer section because I figured maybe some devs out there (Flickitty) are willing to help/jump aboard. If this was in the lounge, well then...eh...but mods/admins feel free to move this.

I really would love to now what to do, as of right now, I know how to edit the theme of blender, and soften Suzanne's ridges.

Please, I'd love to get some feedback, and lots of help. I was debating the blender 3D videos...but It is iffy for me, ive already spent $40 on a free service.

Thanks!
    Scott

2. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    I know basic stuff about Blender.

3. The prez 12521

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    well share what you know! i know 'basic stuff' like how to maybe make a new figure...using space...but thats it!

4. Bmamba

Bmamba Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Game dev
    Canada
    Hi scott , Did you try those tutorial? http://www.blender.org/education-help/tutorials/

If you re serious about learning modeling , maybe you should start with something a bit more professionnal like 3ds max or maya!...sure those licence are really expenssive, but there the real stuff if you know what i mean...

and there not much harder to use than blender. but you ll find more engine compatible with them, and more help on the internet...

5. The prez 12521

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    Thanks! But as much as I would love to, I'm a cheap teenage boy who likes to model! Ill check those tuts out though!

But once I get serious, then I will buy a special license and program :D

6. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

I would strongly suggest that whatever you pick to start off with is what you stick with... the hardest part about 3D software is knowing the UI and tools, and figuring out how to do what you want to do... not necessarily just being good at modeling. I mean its taken me 2+ years of messing around with 3ds max (only put serious, daily practice in for the past year though) to get good at it and feel like I know what I'm doing.

I'm just saying choose wisely from the start ;) If you're never going to really get serious about 3D modeling, there is probably no need for one of the autodesk programs. That being said, if you really wanted to start off on 3ds max or maya you could do a number of things like sign up for the free version (one month license), or if you are a student I believe you can get a year license for relatively cheap (not sure if there are restrictions there).

Mind you I'm not saying Blender is a bad choice either. I tried it a while back and was not impressed personally... found it missing a lot of key features that 3ds max had (or maybe I just didn't know where to find them?). Not sure how much it has improved in the last year or 2 though, but I'm sure its more then passable right now.

7. The prez 12521

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    Thanks! As I said before, I'd love to use something easier and better, but its just so darn expensive! I am looking into getting very involved in 3D modeling, but I just need some practice. I've messed around a bit and learn something new each day, but for some reason, I find it quite hard to read the Blender For Dummies book, as the author wants you to read, but also wants you to do the thing at the same time, and I like to read well past my bedtime so thats not an option :p.

The UI is a bit confusing, but I've heard that you can do so much in blender, and that there are so many different layouts and personnal adjustments.

8. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    I have a licensed copy of 3D Studio and I have also used Blender- although it has been a couple years since I have done 3D work.

3D Studio isn't any better than Blender, it is just different. A tool is a tool, and what really matters is the artist behind the tool. This is a sample of what Blender can accomplish- Elephants Dream.

I will contest ANYBODY that claims that the tools matter. If the tools are what makes your work, then you are an insignificant cog in that process.

Now as far as help with getting started in Blender, I just did what everyone else does: I used tutorials. Sometimes you can find a tutorial for a game that you may own- I seem to remember making some models for Halflife and Quake3 back in the day.

9. The prez 12521

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    Yeah, I was waiting for Flickitty as I saw you've used blender before :D.

I've seen Big Buck Bunny, and tried a little of Yo Frankie! And I'm just fascinated!

My I ask for some good tutorials? As of right now, I know almost nothing...

10. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    I don't have any immediate links to tutorials. Anything that I could supply would be horribly outdated and insignificant. Huge strides have been made with Blender since I used it.

While looking for tutorials, be careful not to look for tutorials that are specific to Blender. Those tutorials will only show you how to use the tool, but not theory behind modelling. Just remember to turn your edges- if that doesn't make sense then you might have some modelling theory to research.

Everything about 3D that I know, I learned from the tutorials by Paul Steed. He worked at id Software on the Quake series, and is a brilliant modeller with excellent theories. He uses 3D Studio to show HOW things are done, but more importantly, he explains WHY things are done. If you happen to find any tutorials by Paul Steed, try to read past the HOWs and pay attention to the WHYs.

11. The prez 12521

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    That actually makes a ton of sense! It's like using pen and paper or a computer, it will still accomplish the same thing..!

Do you have any of your legendary work? I'd love to see it, if you didn't mind of course.

12. amaurote

amaurote Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2011