Want to get google maps on iOS6? Check out 'Sparkling Maps'

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Macvanderspek, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Macvanderspek

Macvanderspek Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Thanks, we expect the 1.2 update to be available within two or three days. Meanwhile, we are working hard on further improvements!

2. mcbbcn

mcbbcn New Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Hi there,

Nice job with app. I know you're seeking feedback to make it better. So, here you have a couple of thoughts:

1. For turn-by-turn, when there are directions like N or NE, you may want to have the lady say 'North' or 'North East' instead of N or NE

2. When searching for a business, I miss the 'Did you mean?'. So, if I type 'Frid Meyer', it would be nice if instead of a 'Not found' message, I got a 'Did you mean Fred Meyer?'

3. It would be great to press and hold and drop a pin where I'm pointing

4. I could not find the visual list of directions but I think it says is there, so I'll play a little bit more with it...

5. ...and now a big one, how you consider allowing to store a route offline with turn-by-turn for 'out of cell phone coverage navigation

Again, nice job, you're doing great!

M.

3. Macvanderspek

Apr 19, 2011
    Thanks for the useful suggestions. For now, we will take points 1 and 3 along, possibly for 1.3, and we are looking at ways to do the download of local maps for offline usage.

4. chris1a

chris1a Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    Wait how do you drop a pin?

5. mcbbcn

mcbbcn New Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Hi Mac,

Thanks a lot for the response. The offline one would be a biggie given that most apps lose directions in the middle of a route when cell coverage goes out but it definitely sounds like not an easy one...if I could at least keep my route going that would be amazing but if you guys can make it happen, I totally understand.

Thanks for the great customer service and great app!

M.

6. mcbbcn

mcbbcn New Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Just press & hold with your finger anywhere in the map, and it would automatically drop a pin the location that you're pointing/pressing.

Cheers,

M.

7. chris1a

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    Thanks. Was confused by this: "3. It would be great to press and hold and drop a pin where I'm pointing". But it does drop a pin ?

8. x999x

x999x Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    When searching a location, it would be nice to have a little icon like ">" in the location's name tooltip for more info similar to the old maps app. From there we can view the full address and have a button for directions/navigation to there.

Getting navigation to work is not very intuitive in it's current form, and as a person who has used the google maps api myself, I know you can extrapolate the physical address when pinging their servers.

9. Macvanderspek

Apr 19, 2011
    In the latest version (the 1.3 in progress) it will work more like the original google maps. So you can drop a pin when pressing down on the map. Then you will get the address details, and you will be given two small buttons, one for streetview and one for directions.

10. Macvanderspek

Apr 19, 2011
    Sparkling Maps 1.2 has been accepted and the update is available in the app store now!

It features:

- Universal app: now full support for iPad. See streetview in high resolution!
    - Auto completion location lookup
    - Additional place categories
    - Travel modes (walking/public transport)
    - Language issue in route guidance resolved
    - Horizontal and vertical orientation of maps

Try it out! If you could leave a review of the current version in the app store, we would greatly appreciate it.

We are finishing up the 1.3 release, which we will submit to Apple today. We are confident in creating an excellent maps alternative for iOS6 users, and your input is helping us in that!

11. pank9j

pank9j Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2012
  12. chris1a

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    Thanks sounds great, bought!

13. chris1a

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    #33 chris1a, Nov 16, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
    Really liking it. A few suggestions so far tho...

1. Being able to turn off the GPS (would save battery if you're not planning routes etc?).

2. On the iPhone when in street view in landscape mode the blue top bar takes up a bit too much space, so if you could replace it with just a X or something?

3. Being able to drop a pin and chose "route here".

14. Macvanderspek

Apr 19, 2011
    Thanks, your feedback is really great. On your suggestions:

1. GPS off: you can do this in general settings of the iPhone, so there is no real need to handle this within the app

2. Looking into this. We are limited in the presentation though, as this is coming straight from google. But we will see.

3. This is included in the 1.3 update, which we have submitted today. Normally it takes Apple about a week to review and release it.

Please keep coming with your comments and requests, so we take those along for the upcoming updates and improve the app further!

15. Macvanderspek

Apr 19, 2011
    We have submitted the 1.3 version, which includes many improvements making the app feel even more similar to good old google maps.

We are also submitting a free ad-supported version. After using Nokia's 'Here', we feel that Sparkling Maps is a far better, smoother solution, and we aim to improve it further, fast.

16. pank9j

pank9j Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2012
    Nokia maps are example of BS! I love sparkling maps ;)

17. Macvanderspek

Apr 19, 2011
    Update 1.3 has been accepted by Apple today and is in the app store now! This version has a number of interface changes that make it look cleaner and gives you direct access to streetview and directions when you drop a pin. Traffic info is given as well.

Thank you all! Please continue to give feedback so we can improve it even further. Already this can be considered the number 1 maps alternative in the app store at the moment.

18. pank9j

pank9j Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2012
    #38 pank9j, Nov 29, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
    Update 1.3 Is available for download :D

Updating now ;)

Thanks Team :D

--
    Suggestion : Hey 4 blue icon at the bottom looks ugly :( either revert them back to previous one or make their size smaller. :confused:

Kindly remove them please :(

Pin Drop function is now works as perect ;)

19. leslie222

leslie222 New Member

Nov 29, 2012
    Great Great app

Thank you devs
    I am happy i paid for the app
    Keep it going and its worth more than a dollar!!!!
    I was wondering if you plan to add alternative routes and little "fun" features like ETA , speed, distance travelled etc????
    These are not show stoppers by any means but would be nice:)
    WELL DONE

20. Macvanderspek

Apr 19, 2011
    Leslie222, Pank9j, thanks for your feedback. We will take it into account for the next update!

Meanwhile, Apple today approved the 'lite' version of the app. It's called 'Sparkling Maps Lite' :)

It misses the streetview and turn by turn navigation, and has ads. But it is still google maps on iOS6, on iPhone, iPod and iPad, and you can upgrade at any time for a dollar to get the full sparkling maps.

App info is currently processing and/or the app is not yet fully available for sale on the US App Store.