Best Pinball Game - is there one?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by german_dude, Apr 29, 2010.

1. german_dude

german_dude Member

Apr 28, 2010
    hamburg, germany
    I'm looking for 1 or 2 top notch pinball games in the appstore.

The problem ist there are - on the first look - a lot of great games for me... the deep / western pinball, monster pinball, (the new) last gladiators, star pinball and many many more...

Which is the best in your opinion? Are there some hidden gems?

2. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    It depends on what you like.
    In the long term, I'm having the most fun with the Matmi tables, since they are all about fun and fast entertainment, instead of emulating a realistic table, which is a bit too much for that little screen, I think. Then I love the Amiga tables, but perhaps because, I spend years with them and they are just well done and pretty timeless. The Gameprom games are less entertaining, personally. I don't know why exactly, they are really beautiful but always feel a bit empty/dead. They simply don't keep my interest that much.

But I guess, it's all just about personal taste.
    And you got some good stuff for everyone.

3. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    I have two of the Matmi tables, and they're my favorite, I like them a lot better than the three Gameprom tables I have. But I agree with the robot, it's probably more about personal taste. I would recommend Monster Pinball first, however. Maybe pick up that one and The Deep or Jungle Pinball and see which style you prefer.

4. german_dude

german_dude Member

Apr 28, 2010
    hamburg, germany
    @ both: thx for the fast answers

years ago i liked for example "balls of steel" from pinball wizards on the pc (was it in 1998 / 1999? i don't now).

it wasn't a realistic pinball game more a fun game - but i loved it. the matmi games are this style, right?

5. bmn0210

bmn0210 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2010
    I've tried most of the pinball games available for the iPhone, and personally I find them all quite lacking, especially when it comes to table design - if you've ever spent much time playing a real pinball machine, you probably know what I mean.

What would be nice to see is a pinball app with a good physics engine, that allowed table manufacturers (both old and modern) the chance to license their table designs and sell them via in-app purchase.

6. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

Jungle Style Pinball, because of the great dynamic graphics
    Pinball Fantasies, because of the deep gameplay and missions

7. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    That sounds great. In the meantime, though, Last Gladiator comes closest to a true pinball experience. It's pricy, but worth it for true pinball fans.

8. Ouisch

Ouisch Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    I was just going to jump in and say this, but Squarezero beat me to it. Last Gladiator (LGR2010) is by far the best pinball game I've played so far on the iPhone, and I've played them all. This is the first one I've played that actually approximates an arcade pinball experience.

However, that being said, it is indeed pricey (at $4.99 for one table, and 3 other DLC tables at $4.99 each). I haven't bought any of the DLC tables yet, and the one included table is well worth the $4.99 price tag in my opinion. This is the only pinball game I've loaded on my iPhone that I haven't gotten tired of after a day or two.

9. Deewin

Deewin Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    I wasn't a huge fan of Monster Pinball but I loved the Deep. I personally prefer the ones that emulate real pinball machines and I'm still waiting for one that emulates those well.

10. TheFamousEccles

TheFamousEccles Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    The price is the kicker for me. $5 for all of the tables sounds good, but $20? I'd expect that price on a much bigger screen.

11. JamesDean69

JamesDean69 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    I'm still waiting for the Zen Pinball series from XBox live arcade and PSN Network to come to iPhone and iPad. Those were great pinball games. Also the Gottleib and Williams Collections released for consoles cud also be easily ported over. Those are the best pinball games around as far as graphics physics etc.

12. Touchgamer3g

Touchgamer3g Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2009
    I am torn between getting either Matmi's Monster Pinball or Multiball Pinball. Which one is more entertaining/has more content?

13. JamesDean69

Nov 19, 2009
    To clarify I don't mean the Rollercoaster pinball game that Zen released already for iphone which is kinda bad and not even close to the product they released for XBLA. I wud like them to release the same tables from XBox Live arcade.

14. DaverJ

DaverJ Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    I would also love to see the Williams Pinball Hall of Fame ported over, especially for the iPad. Heck, I would pay big money for the Funhouse table alone.

15. JamesDean69

Nov 19, 2009
    Both look like "video game" pinball games. They don't look like they have true pinball physics. But that is just from looking at them. I haven't actually plaid them so I cud be wrong. I'm more into a true to life pinball experience like Last Gladiators. But if the video Game style pinball is your thing they both looked fun.

16. JamesDean69

Nov 19, 2009
    + 1 on that DaverJ. The Funhouse table is amazing. And the fact that they are REAL tables that I remember playing as a kid makes them even better for me.

17. Ouisch

Ouisch Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    + another 1.

While I do think Last Gladiators is the best title on the iPhone so far, I would buy a port of the Williams or Gottlieb collection without batting an eye.

18. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    I am BZ playing only Multiball pinball from the day I hav bought it....
    iThink it is very snazzy :)

19. german_dude

german_dude Member

Apr 28, 2010
    hamburg, germany
    a lot of impressions, thanks a lot!

ok, i'll buy jungle style, monster pinball and gladiator - that should be enough for my vacation AND my visa card :cool:

20. german_dude

german_dude Member

Apr 28, 2010
    hamburg, germany
    ...and pinball dreams later :D