Newbie designer/developer. Please advise

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by c-rallis, Oct 27, 2013.

1. c-rallis

c-rallis Member

Jan 17, 2012
    illustrator
    Hi there,

Hope this is the right place to post my thread. If not, please move it accordingly.

I am an illustrator working for game companies. I thought it's time I should give it a try and develop my own game. Since it's my first one I thought it should be simple, so I decided I should create a simple point-and-click 2D adventure game for touch interfaces and smartphones. After much time of brainstorming I finally came up with a scenario. I can do all of the design, art, and animation for the game. However, I don't know anything about programming and the whole procedure of indie game development.

So, my first question is if there's a software that I could use to create my game without having to write the code. It would be great if I could design it using drag-and-drop actions (i.e Dreamweaver for webdesign).

My second question is what's the procedure that you guys follow to develop and publish a game. I'd appreciate if you could point out a website or post a link that explains this.

Thank you for bearing with me.

Regards,
    Chris

2. DechoTech

DechoTech Member

Sep 5, 2013
    Co-Founder, Artist
    Thailand
    GameMaker: Studio

GameSalad
    Playmaker Plugin for Unity3d

In my opinion, you should partner up with a programmer.
    The tool can surely make games but If you focus on what you do best and let he does what he can do best, it might be better.
    Take a half of thousands is better than take a hundred alone.

I can not answer the second question because I am struggling to publish my game as well.
    It's best to go with a publisher if you have a chance.
    Take a look at this awesome blog wrote by MARTIN PALSOVIC who would be around this forum. It is very informative.

3. c-rallis

c-rallis Member

Jan 17, 2012
    illustrator
    Hi DechoTech,

Thank you for replying.
    GameMaker Studio ticks the boxes, so I've already downloaded the free version. I don't know if I made the right decision. My ignorance is not helping here. But I'll give it a try and see how it goes.

As for working with a programmer, your comment makes sense. I'd like to give it a try on my own though. Time will tell I guess.

4. ryansumo

ryansumo Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Freelance artist
    Manila
    If you're young, have all the time in the world, or have built a comfortable nest egg then by all means teach yourself to code. If you're like me (also an artist who can't code) that needs to be constantly working best find a programmer. :) Good luck!

5. Tinytouchtales

Tinytouchtales Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Male
    Gamedesign
    Berlin, Germany
    I'm using Stencyl.com for my iOS Games, it's also a visual Programming tool.

6. Appvism

Appvism Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2013
    UK
    Good suggestions regarding GameMaker Studio, Game Salad and Stencyl - not that i've tried these in depth myself (only briefly). But it'll be a good start especially if you don't code.

@ryansumo - young or old, you can always learn to code! :)

I'm getting on a bit myself, and indie game dev is something i've decided to do and am learning it all myself too. I'm only currently focusing on 2D games and kids apps on iOS currently and am using Corona SDK - its more coding but not as hardcore as say unity or objective-c, etc... You can try that out too!

Cheers,

7. Touchmint

Touchmint Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Developer
    Phoenix
    You could go the route in learning a lang yourself in the long run learning an actual language like objective c and xcode will be a lot more valuable than some scripting lang that might only be around for a few years or so.

8. jordanfwc

jordanfwc Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2013
    Definitely GameMaker Studio - there's some great tutorial videos by a youtube guy named Shaun Spaulding that can help out big time. If you're looking for a programmer, I'm happy to help in any way, I just released my first iOS game called Cally's Caves last week. Check it out for free at the link below and if you need coding advice or a collaboration, feel free to PM me! Cheers and best of luck on everything!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/callys-caves/id709342788?ls=1&mt=8

9. liteking

liteking Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2013
    Indie Game Developer
    Stencyl and GameSalad

I've tried almost all of these tools.
    Stencyl and GameSalad are easiest to get familiar with, IMO.
    They all have a free version to download, so you should give them a try.

10. BlindAlbino

BlindAlbino Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2012
    I am Co-Founder and Art Director for Blind Albino,
    La Habra Hights, California
    Hi Chris. From my own years of experience as an indie artist, I would recommend teaming up with a programmer that shares your indie spirit. I'm heavily dyslexic, which has made learning/writing my own code a rather out of reach dream. But thankfully I've encountered many talented, passionate programmers over the years. Put the word out and see who you might meet!
    Best of luck on whichever path you take my friend!

11. abbas_basil

abbas_basil Active Member

Nov 24, 2013
    Technical Co-Founder
    Ok if you are that determined. I mean really really determined then take the Stanford iOS basics and the then learn cocos2D for 2D Games. After a year of coding in 2D games come over to Unity3D for 3D games. By this time however the chances are you have forgotten how to design :)

By advise is to partner with a developer. There is no greater output than a teams output.

Even for Temple Run it was a husband and wife team. All the best!!