Do Not Beg/Ask for Promo Codes

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by arn, Dec 14, 2008.

1. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    #21 dannys95, Mar 10, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
    i just read this; but so far i have asked them if they want a review. maybe i should stop? really since i have almost 2000 posts and am on here almost 24 hours a day they could trust me. do i need to stop?

i write on a blog not itunes btw.

2. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    I would...Let them come to you if they want a review...or do the review after buying the game.

3. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Seeing as codes are currently US only, that they generate a lot of noise, that people like me in the UK do not bother to read them now because of the 'I want one too' posts so we will never see any feedback I'd go so far as suggesting a different forum. You could even limit access by post count / membership time.

And my advice to devs is not to just give them out. Do some research, find the names of people who actually do review in a good way and PM them the codes. I see heaps of codes being given out and - as I said in another thread - no reviews being given.

4. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    They can trust me!! I swear. LOL. Seriously though usually they ask me to show they some work and I show them. And since I'm always here they know they can trust me.

5. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

just wondering how exactly does a promo code work??

6. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    The devs get 50 of them per update to each app.

They can then give them out however they choose.

Once you have one (if you are in the US) you can copy and paste it into the "redeem" section in itunes and then it downloads and you'll have the app next time you sync up.

7. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    Since Arn made this new rule, I'm just curious if the promo code begging has declined. I know on occasion I still see it happening, and others promptly tell them to knock it off so people obviously know.

Now if we could only stop people from asking for price drops...:rolleyes:

8. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

Danny is the only ****ing one who ****ing does it. So, yes stop that. Do a complementary review and tell them about it. Stop ****ing asking for ****ing promo codes.

9. crimson.

crimson. Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    I don't have one...
    In AMERICA.
    Anyone who's says ****ing that much has to be right.

10. snow_mani

snow_mani Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    The begging for codes occurs a lot less in the forums than it did before the rule was implemented. I see it from time to time but nowhere near as often as it was occuring before.

People asking for price drops all the time really annoys me too. I come here to read about apps and games. And what people think of the gameplay. What they like, are there any problems or issues with a game, etc. It gets really tiresome to see lots of posts whining about the price.

Like markx2 I would like a seperate forum for promo codes. While devs are generous in giving out promo codes, sometimes the "chatter" about the codes clutters the games forum. I want to read more about the games and less about the promo codes. Don't get me wrong, even though I am in Australia and can't use the codes with my Australian iTunes account, I like the promo codes (I've received a few to use with my US iTunes account) and think that they have their place here, but I'd like that place to be in a seperate forum.

11. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    A community of brotherly love, TA is :D

I'm kinda wondering about distribution of said promo codes. Lots of lurkers are getting the damn codes!

12. brewstermax

Oh, I know. I only spread my "brotherly love" to those who have done something to earn it. Ohh, lets see who may be on that list of members. :rolleyes:

Not you, btw.

13. le'deuche123

Feb 5, 2009
    Priceless:D

14. brewstermax

I know right. ;)

15. Sainter

Sainter Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Writing for TPG & TheAppEra I find that most of the codes we get are actually from people sending them into us so that their games can be reviewed. Unless devs read that you are a reviewer from such links in your sig it is hard to know who is who with arns strict no advertising your sites policy..

Public begging is wrong and I see it far too often, and most of it is on a place that can't be moderated by the name of 'Twitter'. I don't really know what to think of the whole deal so I will just stay on the fence and let the big boys play around with the rules.

16. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    This is my single biggest annoyance with this site. It is the same people asking time after time. These are the very same people who will cry that quality might be falling, fart apps make a comeback and anything else that upsets them but will never make the connection between their wanting more games for .99 and less money going into the devs pockets.

If you could ban anything then price drops would be it.

17. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    Oh the brotherly love. I write LOTS of COMPLIMENTARY reviews. But sometimes I ask for a promo code in exchange. But not always. I'll wait for arn's opinion though. Hopefully his won't be as curseful. :p

18. le'deuche123

Feb 5, 2009
    Honestly if I was a developer and you "asked" me for a promo code, review or not, I would think you were a tool. If you have a legitimate review site put it in your signature and let the dev come to you if they want a review. It's not a hard rule..don't ask.

19. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    #39 dannys95, Mar 11, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
    Well back then this was meant for when promo codes were allowed to be made. This rule I thought applied to those begging for codes. But you are right; I'll just add it to my sig. As you can see I asked..........cause I wanted to make sure I was not doing anything wrong............so don't kill me. Geez

Updated my sig...........but it's not showing. ???

20. le'deuche123

Feb 5, 2009
    It's cool man, not trying to be a dick, just throwing my 2 cents...Don't know about the sig not updating.