Everybody Chime In - What matters most?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by chrisrushing, May 28, 2009.

?

What matters most to you about a game?

1. Polished graphics & interface.

12 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Solid controls.

9 vote(s)
    45.0%
  3. Sound design.

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
  4. Depth & idea behind the game.

11 vote(s)
    55.0%
  5. Fun factor & replay value.

17 vote(s)
    85.0%
  1. chrisrushing

chrisrushing Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    Chattanooga, TN
    #1 chrisrushing, May 28, 2009
    Last edited: May 28, 2009
    I'm curious what the general population feels matters most concerning touch games.
    Thought this might be a good thread idea. Multiple choice poll above!

Oh and sound design would include music, if that wasn't obvious.

2. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA
    Three important things:

1. Handling
    2. Replayability
    3. FUN

If the game doesn't handle well, its a waste. If you only get 10 minutes of enjoyment out of it, its a waste and if it's not fun, whats the point, it's a game after all!

3. eriathien

eriathien Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2008
    California
    Personally, the only thing I don't care about much is the sound because I am almost always playing with mute on. :eek:

4. jonaswills

jonaswills Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Nov 11, 2008
    Game Developer
    Washington
    All of the above!

5. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Fun Factor & Replay
    The reason being that if a game doesn't have solid controls... then it's not fun. A game that has me always coming back to it means I'll have it on my iphone longer than anything else, which means I'm more likely to purchase games from that same dev because I have been playing the last game so much

Graphics & UI
    Any dev that takes the time to get the input of player on how the UI should be will always get brownie point with me. Graphics are that eye candy that helps sell, but if a game isn't fun then it means nothing.

Depth & Idea
    The idea behind a game is pretty import to me. There's nothing wrong with taking an existing idea and making it better... but those who try something completely different will always get a sale from me. I like the idea of playing some I haven't played before, or something I have played before... but in a completely different way. Depth is always good to have in a game but I don't find it near as important because I play on an iphone. I need to constantly jump in and out of games so I don't mind it as I can't invest a lot of time to a game anyways.

6. sumiguchi

sumiguchi Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    Developer (Business Apps)
    Canada
    If the game isn't fun and doesn't offer replay value... who cares about the rest?