Can iPad/iPhone Games Have Trial Time Limits?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by frisbee10461, Aug 15, 2012.

1. frisbee10461

frisbee10461 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2012
    Hello, all! frisbee10461 here!

Is it possible for a developer to release the full version of their game for FREE (no IAP); however, the game has a trial period. For example, you get the full game for seven days. This way, it encourages people to try different games. if they like them, they will pay for them. If not, no harm, no foul.

2. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    #2 Primoz, Aug 15, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
    I don't believe there are (offline) games that have time trial. Sure there are trials, but they aren't limited by time, but with space (example: sacred odyssey; before they splitted in it "free" and full game).

At least that's what I think.

3. This is what they do on Android games right? Why couldn't ios be the same way? Can any developer answer these questions?

4. RodGreen

RodGreen Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2012
    Android has a system where you can buy the App and have a limited amount of time to return the app if you don't like it.

Apple doesn't have an explicit implementation of this however you can, as consumers, request a refund of a game - though I'm not sure if there's a stipulation that would limit this.

I'm guessing why Apple doesn't or rather why Android does. Is because they wanted to automate the refund process - also Android's market isn't as curated so there's a much higher chance that apps you download wont do what they advertised.

Unlike Apple where they have a lot of pride in the overall quality of the app store apps and therefore limited the refund process.

As a developer however you could implement a system whereby the app stops functioning after a time (though this could probably be worked around by changing the clock on your device).

I think that anyone who implemented such a system (and wasn't offering an online service) would be met with a rather large number of 1 star reviews for .. scamming the users.

It doesn't take much to make people fly off the handle and hate on your app. Even though all you're trying to do is add some value to your product.

5. kendahlj

kendahlj Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    Seven days is way too long. Most games are disposable...meaning you play for a few hours and either beat the game or lose interest. Not all but many...