Developing Puzzle Game . . . Open for suggestions

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by anduril_ukr, Mar 2, 2009.

1. anduril_ukr

anduril_ukr Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Student
    New Jersey
    #1 anduril_ukr, Mar 2, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
    I have brought this game up in the game thread, but it is not getting any response whatsoever. I decided that it was probably better suited here. The game is still in conceptual stages and will not be available until much later this year.

Here is the concept: you will be given a shape/path/network to paint over, in which you must paint each side without ever going over a line a second time or jumping to another place on the shape (in concept, never lifting your finger). The game will have an ancient style, with the shapes you paint over being etched on papyrus. The menu will b three different books, representing three game modes, of varying difficulties. The first book will have the simplist gameplay - staying to the basic gameplay mentioned. It can still be somewhat difficult, but will never be extremely hard. The second book will add a gameplay twist which will spice up the gameplay. This book will be more difficult, but not mind-numbingly difficult. The third book will incorporate the same gampelay twist in the second book, but will also introduce another twist, upping the difficulty. These puzzles will vary in difficulty, but some will be quite difficult. After completing 50% of the first book, you can access the second book, and the same for the second. After completing 100% of the puzzles in any book, you will gain access to a special bonus. In future updates, there will be more books, based on feedback from customers.

Don't expect this title soon, because, as I mentioned, it will be a very long time before it is ready. But now is a perfect time for suggestions and opinions about this game. I will create a new poll once I hear some suggestions for names from you guys. If you got an idea for the name, just post it here. Once I have seen quite I few I like, I will open up a new poll. Sooo, please leave any suggestions for gameplay or (especially) the name.

Thanks

2. Prab

Prab Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Hi anduril_ukr, I left you a reply in the other thread :)

3. anduril_ukr

Feb 4, 2009
    Student
    New Jersey
    #3 anduril_ukr, Mar 2, 2009
    Haha, I just replied to your reply in the other thread:D:D Do you want me to copy paste your question and maybe I can copy paste my answer? Hmm, switching sections was not as easy as I thought it would be. Sorry for the mixup. Thanks for the feedback.:)

Heres the question and (edited) answer

Quote:Originally Posted by Prab
    "Actually I'm not really fond of the current proposed name (Vertex?). Its too focused on what the game is about. I think the name should touch on the theme as well. Since your game will be on papyrus and old books and stuff, I think having the word "ink" in your game title would be wonderful. Now you just need some kind of adjective: ______ ink. I think this name sticks more to the theme and gives a very papyrus, dusty kinda feel you wanted. If I hear Vertex, I think of some math problem or maybe a retro shooting game.

As for the enhanced gameplay. I think you should focus on ways to make it less like a math problem and more towards a game. Use the common gameplay elements: time limits, powerups, achievements, etc."

Thank you very much for the feedback. I wasn't getting much before this, so I was suprised (in a good way) to get this. Hopefully I can get some discussion going in the dev. section. Yeah, I thought of the name vertex before thinking of the new gameplay style. Again, thanks for the suggestions.

4. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Sounds exciting! I hope you are having fun and that it sells well! I am glad that I am not the only one learning. (or maybe you aren't learning, I can't tell)

5. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Maybe it's paranoia or whatever, but I'd suggest you don't publicly post your game design plans. A faster coder could steal the design and implement it before you :(

The gameplay does sound like it's something fresh and fun. Looking forward to it.

6. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    Glad if it helps your game :)

7. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    I second that. But I guess it makes discussion rather difficult. As for now, I think the information about eulerian path is not divulging too much.

On a separate note. Here is another suggestion: If you do decide to give the game a name that suits the theme more than the game play, you can take advantage of this decoupling to expand the game into more than just eulerian paths. I think there are other kinds of paths in graph theory that can make a pretty decent game (given the right combination of other gameplay elements)

8. TheOZ

TheOZ Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Yea I agee also and feel this point can not be stressed enough. If you are going to post your game try not going into as much detail as you did just post the basic gameplay and keep it incredibly vague to where it catches the readers attention enough to where they want to know more and are excited/interested about it, but not enough to the point were they can basically map out too many of the details in the game.

The game sounds interesting and original to say the least and it sounds like it would be a game I would most likely get to see what it's all about and probably end up loving it. Good luck!

Also, tip: That big wall of text is very "intimidating"? lol try dividing your points into paragraphs, it is much more easy on the eyes.

9. anduril_ukr

Feb 4, 2009
    Student
    New Jersey
    #9 anduril_ukr, Mar 2, 2009
    ^^To those who mentioned that I should given less information^^

Thanks for the heads up! I thought about that too, but also thought that if someone copied my game exactly, I could pretty well raise awareness that it was a blatant copy. I will take down some of the info though. I'll try to be more careful in the future.

^^To Prab^^

Hmmm, maybe I could implement more kinds of mathematical graphs in future updates with future books. The only other kind I can think of that would have any element of game in it instead of being only math is hamiltonian paths. You would have to visit each vertex once instead of each edge (leaving some edges non-traversed). If you think of anything else specific, you can post it.

^^To all those wondering why I am using (^^)s instead of quotes^^

Because I felt like it:D (Okay, not very funny. Good thing I am not a comedian.)

Forgot something:

^^To WellSpentYouth^^

Actually, my brother is the developer. I thought of the gameplay, styles, and will help create specific puzzles and new gameplay twists in future updates. I am working with another member here at TA, trying to see if he can work on the game art. But I will definitely have to find out a little bit about Ob. C, cause otherwise when my brother talks to me about bugs, problems, ideas etc., it would sound like gibberish.

10. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    I'll let you know if I think of something else :)

On another note, I was looking through my old games and I realised that Mouse About probably has a similar concept (not exactly -- but similar). So you may want to look at the reviews for that game and see what are its lackings. Personally I enjoyed Mouse About but it gets really hard at the further levels (and the graphic of the levels just loops back after you passed the space theme) and there are no achievements. Its just you vs the local highscore board. Not too great.

11. anduril_ukr

Feb 4, 2009
    Student
    New Jersey
    Mouse About? Yeah, I see some of the similarities. There are quite different though. Thanks for the suggestion about achievements or things to keep you playing (not everything the same). I am afraid online leaderboards and really complicated things won't come out in the first edition. However, more will come out in future updates (more books, improved gameplay etc.) I will think about ways to spice up the gameplay more than just the two twists added for the second and third book. I can't get too complicated too early though. I have zero (absolutely ZERO) experience with creating games (thats why my brother will be the coder). It will be a learning experience, and the game will get more complicated with more updates. My brother, though having gone through almost three years of college for a computer science degree, also has no hands on experience. So expect more simple at first, but I will try to add online things or more complicated achievement systems if there is demand later on. I will try to make the initial game as replayable and interesting as possible though:)

12. Prab

Prab Moderator

Dec 17, 2008
    CS student
    SG
    But achievements aside, I really think that more game elements are needed to make your game more interesting. Maybe if you start thinking from the perspective of the theme (the story), then it would make more sense.

Another thing to think about is the game play style. For example, in Mouse About you try to get a higher highscore. Other games like by ngmoco have achievements (completed level X without lives lost, etc). I recently purchased Word Fu and its an interesting timed game because the length of your game depends on how good you are at the game. Different powerups help extend your game (freeze time, flick a die), but you don't get these powerups if you don't score well and your game will be short.

I'm sure there are other game play styles out there, but my point is that the style also needs to be designed properly. A great polished game with a lack of style can be a bit boring.

I hope Im not rambling too much and hopefully this helps your game :)

13. anduril_ukr

Feb 4, 2009
    Student
    New Jersey
    I really don't want to go down the path of highscores and stuff. This would take away from the game's theme and purpose. As we develop it, we hopefully will think of more ways to keep it interesting. I don't want timing in it either, as it is also supposed to be a relaxing puzzler. But I do see potential to add a lot more interesting gameplay twists to the idea of tracing a path. Perhaps adding ways to exceed the minunum in the puzzle would add to the game and provide replayability (such as making there be too many lines, and finding the route that goes over certain paths or is the shortest/longest? just brainstorming).

Don't worry about rambling, the more the feedback the better!:)

14. anduril_ukr

Feb 4, 2009
    Student
    New Jersey
    Do to a few complications, the game has stalled. Once we get that sorted out (we already think we have figured it out), actual coding will begin. While we are waiting, any ideas for a working name? I was thinking about Prab's suggestion for a name, perhaps: Inkpaths? Any other ideas?