A plea to developers, WITH POLL!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by araczynski, Oct 8, 2009.

?

Should games have God modes at the 'cost' of no achievements/points.

1. YES

34 vote(s)
    54.0%
  2. NO

29 vote(s)
    46.0%
  1. araczynski

araczynski Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2009
    programmer
    omaha, ne
    #1 araczynski, Oct 8, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
    For the love of all that might be holy, PLEASE include in your games the option to have a type of 'cheat' mode, that would allow for say unlimited lives/continues/retries/etc.

You can as 'punishment' disable saving of high scores in the app and don't submit anything to this 'feint' service that everyone seems to care so much about.

I personally irritates me to no end to buy something, get stuck on it, get frustrated, and never finish it. all that accomplishes (with me) is that I remember that experience when i see a sequel to a game or something else from the same developer.

I suck at a lot of games mechanics/styles, i would wager that many other people do as well. that usually turns us off of a lot of games that get released because we're automatically anticipating frustration. even though we WANT to enjoy the game and/or STORY.

unrelated case in point: Resident Evil 5. hate the game mechanics (stop/shoot) but really enjoyed the story. Finally bought the game used for the PC once cheats came out, and had a BLAST playing it without the interference of the annoying stop/shoot game mechanic (since i didn't have to worry about dying). that's a purchase lost to the developers.

bottom line, a lot of gamers don't care about multiplayer or achievements or bragging rights, a lot of us just want to enjoy a fun story, a short ENJOYABLE escape from reality. a lot of us have enough challenges in the real world, that we don't feel like paying for the privilege to have some more in the imaginary one.

please consider adding some 'noob' features into your games. it will definitely NOT hurt your sales to expand your potential gaming audience.

it might offend some that are insecure however, oh well.

those that wish to use them, will enjoy the game the way they want to. those that want the challenge/achievements/etc, won't use them and enjoy the game their way, everyone wins, your bank account especially ;)

NOTE ABOUT THE POLL: The 'yes' is for including OPTIONAL god modes, so those that want them can use them and the rest can ignore them. The 'no' is pretty much saying "i know what's best for everyone and they should all play like me" kind of thing.

2. Fudgeboy

Fudgeboy Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Student
    UK
    #2 Fudgeboy, Oct 8, 2009
    well, i love achievments but God mode is essential too... i love cheating!!

3. nattylux

nattylux Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    That's actually a really helpful point - I never thought of it that way. Will make sure to keep it in mind for future games.

4. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    I'd enjoy it too for some games actually...most TD :rolleys:
    the only one I can think of that has a "God" mode is wolfenstein

5. Mr. Crazy

Mr. Crazy Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2009
    England
    I would like that, but i do like the challenge of achievements more.

6. intake66

intake66 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Napa, California
    I voted yes but on the flip side, I personally rarely use cheat codes or god modes or whatever you want to call them. I enjoy the challange of playing through a game to the best of my ability. I rarely give a damn how I score on a plus account or an open feint account. I just love my iphone and the fact that i can play games on it. However; the option to have a god mode might encourage me to finsish games I lost interest in because I took them as far as I felt I could and got stuck somewhere.

Good poll question either way :)

7. ktfright

ktfright Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
    It depends what the god mode is--- I mean, like I dont want one that gives me every level, but if I had every weapon with unlimited ammo on a high difficulty setting, i would like that.

Tony Hawk Underground for example--- I didn't want the cheat with all the levels unlocked, but I used the perfect grind and low-grav cheat for big air, and that was hella fun :D

8. araczynski

Oct 5, 2009
    programmer
    omaha, ne
    well, the whole point of the cheats is to be so that you can choose how to play, i.e. if someone wants all levels open to them from the beginning, then so be it, if someone else just wants twice the cash/bullets/whatever, so be it, if soemone just wants unlimited continues/retries or an endless supply of quarters to throw into the arcade machine, so be it.

allow the gamer to ENJOY the game the way HE/SHE knows how to enjoy, don't try to force people into your idea of 'fun'.

i'm not saying to give every game necessarily the option to tweak absolutely everything, but give the option to tweak SOMETHING. some games don't even have difficulty selections, and in most cases, the difficulty of say easy/medium/hard is so arbitrary and subjective that its pretty much pointless when applied across the board.

9. araczynski

Oct 5, 2009
    programmer
    omaha, ne
    thank you from the bottom of my heart, sincerely. for even considering it.

10. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA
    Cheating is for loosers

I haven't cheated in a game since I was a 12 year old.

Don't you think you're robbing yourself of the game experience? Cheat codes were invented for devs to test games in a faster way.

11. ktfright

ktfright Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Student,Rapper,Game Dev.
    Hawthorne,California
    Yeah, I can agree with that. Sometimes it takes the fun out of games.

12. araczynski

Oct 5, 2009
    programmer
    omaha, ne
    #12 araczynski, Oct 8, 2009
    its called 'choice', the same thing as with anything else in life. would you run out into the middle of the street and say all gays are robbing themselves of the straight experience? or the straights are robbing themselves of the gay experience?

why does it hurt your feelings when someone enjoys something differently from you?

FUN IS RELATIVE. that's like saying "puzzle games are FUN, everyone has to play them" or "FPS games are FUN, everyone has to play them".

no, they're not all fun to everyone, just like play STYLES are not equally fun to everyone.

some think juggling 10 games at once is fun, some think only one game should be played at a time (from start to finish) to really have 'fun'.

just because you run in circles that agree with your thinking doesn't mean they're the only circles that exist.

13. dogmeat

Apr 6, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    huh? My best friend of many years is a cheater and I gave him crap all the time for it, for him he had fun cheating, so what, he's still a loser that has to cheat to enjoy a game.

For me, cheating is like masturbating, its something you do alone, with yourself.

14. intake66

Sep 29, 2009
    Napa, California
    bahahahaha best line ever!

15. araczynski

Oct 5, 2009
    programmer
    omaha, ne
    #15 araczynski, Oct 8, 2009
    that's a sad closed minded way of thinking. so would you also say that anyone that doesn't believe in god/allah/buddah/whatever is going straight to your personal idea of hell too?

or if you're agnostic/atheist then i suppose religious people are all freaks too?

16. intake66

Sep 29, 2009
    Napa, California
    everybody is a freak and arguing on a message board proves that in full spades. Normal thinking is completly relative.

17. dogmeat

Apr 6, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    You are way off topic. And putting words in my mouth. I'm against cheating in video games, but that has nothing to do with judging people for their personal beliefs.

You don't have to be such a jerk on the forum, just because you can't win in games the normal way.

18. araczynski

Oct 5, 2009
    programmer
    omaha, ne
    you called cheaters losers,
    equaled the practice to masturbation,

and then you say you have nothing against personal beliefs??

and you think >I< am being a jerk??

HELLO?!?! are you still in high school or something?

19. dogmeat

Apr 6, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    Nope, I'm 30, have a great job where I make loads of money and I live in one of the most diverse cities in the world..

And I don't understand how you relate being called a loser for cheating to anything else in life. At least as a non cheater I don't have to defend myself as much as you do. Benefits of not cheating :) Other benefits I've enjoyed while not cheating include winning money at game tournaments, swag, free games, more swag and deep relationships with developers.

Ever thought you were "cheating" yourself out of opportunities, by cheating?

Sorry I keep riling you up, but your buttons are very easy to push.

20. araczynski

Oct 5, 2009
    programmer
    omaha, ne
    #20 araczynski, Oct 8, 2009
    not for a moment, no. but i have often felt that by NOT cheating, i am wasting valuable real world time being frustrated by some game mechanic. the above things you mentioned mean nothing to me, personally.

some are, yes. namely due to the amount of intolerance i see on the subject. it all boils down to people playing games the way they want, and people like you being too insecure to want to allow such a thing because of the fear(?) that it would somehow lessen the perceived real world meaning of all these 'digital achievements' that you attained.

to me, its no different than religious people running around and condemning people left and right for not being copycats of whatever they believe, because gold told them they're right to do so.

in any case, go ahead and take your last stab back, i won't 'retaliate'.

but thanks for bringing the topic to the top of the forum repeatedly :)