Should games get upset when not played much?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by amichail, Apr 24, 2010.

1. amichail

amichail Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2009
    #1 amichail, Apr 24, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
    For example, my DropZap game could show sad faces in the blocks when it is neglected.

The player would not be penalized though (unlike farmville).

Another possibility is to have a startup delay proportional to the time that the game has been neglected. During this delay, an animation would be used to clearly convey the extent to which the game is upset.

Would something like this make a game more addictive?

2. weedeatinflyincougar

weedeatinflyincougar Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    The only game I've played that has this sort of thing is CJS, and I hated it. Some people, however, ended up playing it every day. Having a penalty for not playing for a certain amount of time could appeal to some people. However, if someone doesn't play for a while, they might not ever play it again because of that penalty.

EDIT: I just reread it; that sort of thing might appeal, but I'm not completely sure.

3. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

I don't get the logic of this (I thought you were joking with this thread at first).
    If you don't play a game, that means you're bored of it or you found another good game to play. When you come back to it and have to suffer a penalty for not playing it, what do you expect to achieve? You're gonna get annoyed and like the game less from straight logic. o_O

4. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    Yes, the game should welcome you even more.
    "I'm soooo happy, that you are finally back."

That would be great.

5. amichail

Nov 13, 2009
    Maybe you like the game, but not so much as to play it every day. This might encourage you to do so.

6. bmn0210

bmn0210 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2010
    Not a bad idea. :)
    A witty little joke might be the best way to do it. Or maybe even some sort of hidden bonus that would serve as an incentive.

7. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    I think something that won't affect the user in any way is the best way to do it. Adding a load time proportional to how long they have neglected the game is a terrible idea. It may work on some people, but for others it will just be that one extra thing they need to kick that game off their iPhone, and never play it again.

That's my thought, at least.

8. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    Agreed. That's the big reason I deleted Car Jack Streets. I forgot to play the game for a long time, and when the endless waves of mobsters came and killed me after I made some really good progress, I just gave up. That, and the fact that I had to sit around for 15-20 minutes just to start up a mission.

Please, don't use real time to do anything that actually affects the game, other than having things like hidden secrets or monsters that only appear at day or night, which is affected by the real time. Other than that, it just becomes a burden, and when you get bored and feel like going back after a long time, you shouldn't be punished for giving up for a long time, but not wanting to delete so you lose all your progress.

9. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    it sounds like a cute little gimmick, but ultimately it sounds like a waste of time and resources that could be better spent developing other products. The best way, in my opinion, to drive players to your games is to produce a hit and then upsell to your other products from within there. At that point, either they like the game (for what it is) or they don't.

10. Dio

Dio Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    +1, not worth it

11. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    Good point. If the player doesn't want to play, punishing them for not playing isn't going to make them want to play.

12. senorian

senorian Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    A perfect example of this would be Seaman on the Sega Dreamcast. If you didn't "play" for awhile he would get mad at you for ignoring him.

I REALLY wish we could have an updated version of Seaman for the iPhone.

13. amichail

Nov 13, 2009
    Doesn't this sort of thing work for farmville though?

Actually, farmville takes it further by allowing your neighbor(s) to maintain your farm, so it also provides an incentive to invite friends to play.

14. CastleSoftware

Apr 25, 2010
    Author/Designer
    UK
    I think it all depends on how it is implemented... i don't think it should be a negative, but in certain types of games i think showing change (e.g its been a while since the player has last played) shouldn't be considered negative. I have over 30 PS3 games, just because i haven't played one in a while doesn't mean i don't want to play it anymore. With people being more busy these days, and having lots of choices, it is nice for a game to give something back to the player after a while.

I guess this is why i like open world games, MMOs are also a good shout for this type of thing. I think its probably harder to implement this for most games on the iphone, but i think some would suit this perfectly.