Apple's fifth-generation iPod touch is 'significantly' less powerful than the iPhone5

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by TheFrost, Oct 15, 2012.

1. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    #1 TheFrost, Oct 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2012
    For those touch users that want to upgrade to be on par with iPhone 5, beware:

[​IMG]

Source: Pocketgamer

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    What was the 'score' of the ipod touch 4th gen ? I thought it would be quite a jump from ipod 4th gen to 5th ?

I'm tempted to get a 5th gen ipod as i'm finding a fair few apps keep crashing on my ipod touch 4th gen.

3. Chocolate

Chocolate Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    The 5g Touch is much more powerful than the 4g. Same CPU as the iPhone 4S.

Ignore the iPhone comparisons. Every generation people compare the new Touch to the new iPhone, and it is just pointless. Compare the 5g Touch to the 4g Touch, and you'll see it's a huge improvement.

4. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Why is this news to anyone? Apple said as much when they unveiled it.

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Thanks, thought that was the case but ta for confirming. Hopefully will get an ipod 5th gen.

Only problem will be selling my 4th gen, its 64 gig but the home button is quite 'stuck', nothing seems to solve it and it'll cost a bit to break the glass to fix it. Think i'll just obviously be honest about it on ebay and try to get some money back from it. Annoying though

6. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Just had a look out of curiosity the iPod Touch 4th gen clocks a score of 378 for comparison, I think the real upgrade is the GPU though and I'm not sure if Geekbench takes that into account.

On a personal note though l found it interesting my own mid range Android phone beats the iPad 3rd gen comfortably.

7. LanceAvion

LanceAvion Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2012
    Geekbench is a fickle one. My iPod Touch 4G just scored a 391 on Geekbench and I haven't seen it's score dip below 390 in quite awhile.

8. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    You're concerned about GPU power here, not geekbench scoring, which primarily measures the CPU.

The iPod 5 is has the same chip as the iPad 2 and 4s: the a5. It's a huge step up from the a4, with apple touting 7x faster graphics and 2x increase in CPU speed. Compare that to the a6 and a5x, both of which have only a 2x increase in graphics over the a5, with the a6 also having a 2x increase in CPU speed. What you're looking for is not CPU, but GPU grunt for gaming. As of yet, there is very little more recent chips can do that the a5 cannot. I'd upgrade in a heartbeat from the iPod 4 to the 5th gen.

9. MicroByte

MicroByte Well-Known Member

As an owner of the 4th moving to 5th gen, all I can say is that things run beautifully for now. Yes, iPhone 5 is a behemoth of a beast with the A6.

When it comes down to it, I'm happy that I can run some of the more graphically intensive games currently out and the new iPod handles them just fine. I'm sure in a year, the potential for more "A6 centric" games will be out, but for the time being, the new iPod is a great upgrade.

10. AppleFan12

AppleFan12 Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    USA
    Why they sort of crippled the iPod touch 5G by only putting 512 mb of ram instead of 1 gig is a mystery. It would have perhaps performed slightly better and been more likely to get through the wave of more graphic intensive games coming in the future.

Still, the 5G seems like a big upgrade from the 4G

11. LuisKey

LuisKey Member

Oct 19, 2012
    The iPod touch 4G carried the same A4 chip at the same clock speed of the iPhone 4. The only difference was actually the memory, which was doubled in the iPhone.I think this iPod touch should have come out last year with the iPhone 4S, but the iPod touch 4G lasted a good two years.