Posting mini games to your web site

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by ns804apps, Feb 19, 2013.

1. ns804apps

ns804apps Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Richmond, VA
    Has anyone put mini versions of their games on their web site to play? I am thinking about doing this and want to see if anyone else has tried it and what the thoughts are on it..

You can check out our upcoming release Morads: a Lemmings tribute at ns804.com[url]

I look forward to your thoughts..

2. Phil128

Phil128 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    Germany
    i was thinking about it, but havent implemented it yet. would you use a lite version or a full version?

3. Hobbsicle

Hobbsicle Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2011
    We did this for our game, The Way We Roll. It was really a "mini" version, because it only had one level. My intent was to use it as both a little teaser taste, and also as a contest. The first however many users beat the level would win prizes.

Ultimately, I took it down before I went that route, because, as someone pointed out, it didn't represent the final product all that well. It was kind of a stripped down version. The framerate wasn't as good, some of the subtler animations were missing, some of the sounds, etc. So I didn't want people to think that was a slice of our final product.

If you make it pretty much identical, then I don't think you have anything to lose. But you may also not have that much to gain, depending on how it factors into the rest of your marketing. If you're working on driving people to your website, though, or using it as a contest or something, then I'd say it might be worth a shot.

4. raekess

raekess Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Product Manager
    Lafayette, CO
    Something we're considering...

This is something we're going to be doing on our website (as well as a few other things).

It isn't so much to drive traffic to the site (although we hope it will), but moreso to establish a reputation for our company - quality products, giving more than our players expect, etc. We're also going to be using them as contest portals.

Would love to hear if anyone else has done this and how it worked out. I'll definitely share our experiences once we start this process, but it'll be several months from now.

5. ns804apps

ns804apps Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Richmond, VA
    I am looking to truely make a mini game, which would be same mechanics, graphics and gamely, but different levels or skins etc... Subtle changes so there is a reason to get the mobile version. I have seen that there is still a rather large PC gaming community and many of them will transition to the smartphone as time goes along so I wold be looking to utilize this as building a community of players and our reputation as a company.

I look forward to seeing what others find works I will keep everyone updated. I have ten levels currently of our game Morads: A lemmings tribute available at our site http://ns804.com

The problem is as someone said getting the bugs out as it is not designed for the web but IOS...

check out my site if you have time and let me know what you think, we kind of built the site around that model of putting free mini version of our mobile games on line.