Know anybody who purchased $99.99 IAP packages?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Papa Deuce, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Papa Deuce

Papa Deuce Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    So, my kids and I play Dragonvale together, and today they came to me wanting to buy gems..... I generally don't buy any IAP, but especially not consumables. But my kids were trying to tell me how the $99.99 IAP was really a better bargain than $5 IAP.... LOL.

But I started wondering about whether people really do buy that much IAP.

I think the absolute dumbest IAP is found for slots.... You could potentially spend $99.99 for 30 minutes of gameplay... Maybe even less than that!

2. lll Anubis lll

lll Anubis lll Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2013
    While I personally don't know anyone, I'm sure people do. I've seen a lot of apps with iAP that were that expensive. If no one ever bought it, I feel like they wouldn't include it at all. I think I remember hearing also that someone spent like a $1000 on a Facebook farming game. o_O

By the way, the $99 package is better than the $5 one! You save 5% more if you buy the $99 package rather than buying 20 $5 packages! Do it!

3. Papa Deuce

Papa Deuce Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    Haha! I can do the math.

I only buy unlocks, never consumables. :)

4. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Good on you, if only everyone else did the same, the App Store would be a better place. ...IMO

5. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Agreed, might force content over skewered game design.

6. lll Anubis lll

lll Anubis lll Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2013
    Smart person ;)

7. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    This type of thing is generally included to make people feel better about purchasing lower tier options.

If you see that there are three options more expensive than the one you're considering, you're more likely to purchase something than if you're looking at the most expensive option.

It works both ways - companies often keeps around products that they know aren't great, because people feel better about buying something that isn't the lowest tier.

Sellers have been using this trick for years, it's not new to IAP :D

8. vii-Lucky

vii-Lucky Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2013
    Make your kids hate Freemium!

9. Master Shake

Master Shake Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    My mother has bought the $100 iap A LOT of times on a poker game for chips that of course have no value. But in her defense she is crazy.

10. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yeah i always wondered who were the people who buy these ridiculously high IAP's, just crazy. Thats one major reason why devs keep adding IAP's like this because of these 'people'.

11. Topherunhinged

Topherunhinged Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2014
    No joke, it's crazy. You'd have to be out of your mind to even get behind IAP, let alone to that degree.

I'd imagine that the inclusion of IAP like that has payed off for a few developers but most are just releasing me-too shovelware and hoping to get lucky. It's not just iOS either, free-to-play MMO's commonly have a $100 buy-in or lifetime member option. I can't imagine why anyone would want to drop that kind of cash on STO and it's one of the better games.

12. Snozberry

Snozberry Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    Spent several hundred on several different MMOs.. Not sure if I've done 99 in one purchase though, I'd only buy such a high amount if it was a huge discount or bonus coins.
    No longer play MMOs, barely play regular iOS games either. Probably spend more time on TA than I do gaming these days.

13. RLennon

RLennon Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2013
    I'm sure some of the thought process of having $99 IAP's is hoping a child, while playing on a device that is not password protected, hits 'buy'.

14. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Uh, (whispering) consumables are okay as long as they're edibles! ;)

15. Leegames

Leegames Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ex. game journalist and EiC now PR
    Denmark
    I did it on Galaxy Factions. Simply because I have spent weeks in the game and really enjoy it. Up to that point, I never thought I would do something like that.

Considering I generally hate IAPs, I can't really say that this means much. But I don't regret my purchase, as I have gotten so much game time out of this game for free.
    :)

16. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    You can get $120 IAP's, wonder which fool buys them.

17. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #17 psj3809, Mar 6, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
    You spent $99 on a single IAP ? Really ? I mean fair play for being honest but it still sounds crazy.

On games where i have spent a lot of time i do buy an IAP or two as a way of 'thanks' , eg like Bullet Time. But i would never spend $99 on a single IAP as then that would just encourage that crazy use of IAP. I wouldnt spend $99 on some PC/console game, let alone just an IAP for a mobile game. Seems crazy

18. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    I personally think you got majorly ripped off. The dev is probably lol'ing, I know I would :)

19. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    I did two 50$ ones and a few 5 and 10$ in clash of clans. Maybe around 150 in total.

Could have waited out the timers back then but i was impatient.

Still playing it, well over 1.5 years but havent "gemmed" in a couple month.

Then i have probably spend ten times the money on pc and console games last year and probably havent even starter 3/4 of them.. alot of shrink wrap is watching me from the shelfs

20. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    Myself. 1 and a half years ago I got one in the Simpsons tapped out (don't judge) I still haven't spent it all.