I need a new name of my game,which one is better

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by fwish, Sep 22, 2009.

?

which one?

1. The quest of the mermaids

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  2. Beauty&Shark or Beauty vs Shark

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  3. the courage of mermaids

4 vote(s)
    9.3%
  4. Shark's Treasure

27 vote(s)
    62.8%
  5. others ,please give me advise

7 vote(s)
    16.3%
  1. fwish

fwish Well-Known Member

#1 fwish, Sep 22, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
    Shark's Treasure 1.3 will coming,I add mermaid,so the background of game became like this
    Deep in the ocean blue lives three happy mermaids: Sally Lily and Lisa. The three lived in peace and harmony until one day the sharks destroyed their world and stole everything. They were devestated until they met John the diver who decided to help them on his deep sea expeditions. The four of them decided to band together to steal the treasures back from the sharks. Can you help the fearless four restore peace to the depths of the ocean?

Choose any of the 4 characters to elude the sharks and reclaim the treasure.

then maybe a new name will be better

1.The quest of the mermaids
    2.Beauty&Shark
    3.the courage of mermaids
    4. remain Shark's Treasure
    5 Mermaids vs. Sharks
    6。Shark's Treasure:The quest of the mermaids
    7. others, you name it

any advise?

2. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    How about "Mermaids vs. Sharks"?

3. PocketMonkey

PocketMonkey Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2009
    Treasures of Atlantis

4. waigo21

waigo21 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    2.Beauty&Shark

5. lynardo

lynardo Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Software developer
    Canada
    I had a weird issue with when I submitted my binary with a new name. My app was rejected because my binary name did not match my iTunes Connect name. But to me, my binary name is exactly the same name as my iTunes Connect name. They app reviewer was still seeing the old name for some reason.

So sad.

6. TimoVihola

TimoVihola Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Creative Director at Mountain Sheep inc
    Naming tips

Some things to keep in mind when coming up with a name:

1. Does it fit below the app icon on iPhone menu screen. I personally wouldn't go beyond 11 letters. The great thing about short names is that they don't get shortened by players either. This is what generally happens to long names: Grand Theft Auto is practically called GTA nowdays, couldn't it have been called that from the very beginning ;)

2. If you want to be searchable through google you need to choose an unique name. Let's say I call my game Fire, that's gonna be very hard game to find because there's gonna be a ton of sites that rank higher than my game on google. (Not saying it can't be done, just search for Halo or Apple for couple of examples :))

3. Does it suit the game concept. Uniqueness is a double edged sword. If you choose a nonsense word it's gonna be harder to remember and it doesn't bring "fantasy of the familiar". So you gotta find a good balance. There's also other things to consider like how hard it is to spell when the word isn't familiar. "Caged animal" is easy for Americans to spell but it isn't necessarily as straightforward for foreigners. "Häkkieläin" would be the Finnish equivalent, imagine Americans trying to spell that one.
    When we chose Minigore there were only few google searches for that name and google suggested "did you mean Mini Gore" and clicking that brought some pictures of mini sized Al Gore :D. Now several months later there's about 200 000 google search results for Minigore. It was so unique that we could have had the domain name called minigore.com but we haven't found domain names very useful in the past (we had domain for our earlier game) so we left it at the mercy of the internet sharks. Turns out it was registered by someone near the release date. http://minigore.blogspot.com serves us very well because it seems to get a good boost in search rankings and shows up before sites like IGN.com (blogspot is a google owned site so it's understandable).

4. Is it already used somewhere. Maybe your game becomes the next big thing and if you decide to call it Assassin's Creed without checking first if there's a game of that name you're in a world of trouble ;)

5. Once you find something that works, stick with it. Recognizable brand is the most valuable thing in the games industry.

Cheers,
    Timo

7. yas

yas Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Rōnin developer
    If you're creating a backstory for the game now, maybe you should have a shark with a name that's the main antagonist opposite to John (the protagonist) and the mermaids (protagonists/secondary characters).

Using simple storytelling conventions will give you ideas for your app name.

8. ElectricGrandpa

ElectricGrandpa Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    Definitely stick with Shark's Treasure. It's simple, catchy, and doesn't seem overkill.

9. nickcaveman

nickcaveman Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    illustrator and graphic-designer
    bremen/germany
    #9 nickcaveman, Sep 22, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
    how about " neptun`s gold"?

or something like this.
    sure, you have to insert a new character (big boss neptun), but you can tell a
    nice story.

maybe you can look for other undersea gods (in the greek mythology or any other one), so you find an evil one. ^^

and did you change the submarine to a mermaid? if so, you can give her a name like arielle. ;)

maybe "Seaya, the brave mermaid"? oh, my english is too bad for that.

for me, some sentence in english sound great, but native speakers didn`t get it.
    but this is the reason for that thread, isn`t it? ^^

"zombie mermaids from outaspace"…
    "plan 9 from undersea"
    "sea of the damned"
    sorry.
    ^^

10. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA
    Shark Bait: Rise of the Mermaids

Honestly, you should post more about the game, its hard to come up with a name for a game based on almost nothing.

11. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    The mermaid's 2 pearls and sea cucumber?

12. FlagellumDei

FlagellumDei Well-Known Member

May 14, 2009
    Male
    Programmer
    I give my vote for Shark's Treasure. It's simple and sounds good.

13. saintsalive

saintsalive Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Playing pocket god! Oh, and other games.
    Pygmy Island
    Shark's Treasure sounds a bit strange to me. When I chose the name for "Blinks" I chose something simple and unique. Maybe you could do a parody of a movie.

The Mermaid, the Shark and the Treasure(The Lion, the witch and the wardrobe)?
    I don't have the game so I'm not sure what would be fitting but I hope I helped...

14. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

#14 NickFalk, Sep 22, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
    "Mermaid Maidens vs. Zombie Sharks"

...or actually just "Zombie Sharks!"
    Who could pass on that title?!

15. cathy

cathy Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    I still like Shark's Treasure. I think it's a good name

16. jonlink

jonlink Well-Known Member

May 26, 2009
    Sasquatch
    Japan
    Mermaids vs. Sharks is definitely the most interesting. I'd click on look at it just because of the name. Shark's Treasure sounds like a kids game, so I wouldn't look at it.

17. ArtCoder

ArtCoder Well-Known Member

The problem I see with "Shark's Treasure" is that I don't know what it means exactly... I'm not a native English speaker, but to me it sounds like "Shark" is somebody. Is he? (Meaning the treasure belonging to someone named Shark.) If you meant something like "the treasure of the sharks", I don't think the name's right.

Those are great pointers, Timo! Thanks for sharing.

18. Catacomber

Catacomber Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    http://www.zaristagames.com/
    NYC
    #18 Catacomber, Sep 23, 2009
    What about Revenge of the Mermaids. :D or Day of the Mermaids (as in Day of the Tentacle--google it) : )

19. Catacomber

Catacomber Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    http://www.zaristagames.com/
    NYC
    #19 Catacomber, Sep 23, 2009
    I don't know what mermaids in real life could do against sharks. They'd probably all be on crutches from having their legs eaten off but surely they would want revenge! Unless they had some magic that repelled sharks. : )

Or unless their mama mermaid popped out to help them at some point--as in Ponyo. : )

Mermaids don't have to be so Disneyish--could be a little more like Laura Croft in Tombraider--packing tridents or something.

Note:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=26639

Vengeful mermaids could do better imho. : )

20. fwish

fwish Well-Known Member

thanks so much

for me, non-english speaker, to think a good name is really hard work