App name registration how long before knocked off?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by pinkandpurple, Aug 1, 2011.

1. pinkandpurple

pinkandpurple Well-Known Member

May 19, 2011
    Secretary
    If an app or game name is registered, how long do we have to upload the final binary file for review before Apple UM deletes it?

2. pinkandpurple

May 19, 2011
    Secretary
    #2 pinkandpurple, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
    Trademark

Also what if the name registered is not trademarked by me and someone else trademarks it afterwards?
    Will my game name be removedby Apple?

Are there actually any Apple reps here to answer questions?

3. pchukwura

pchukwura Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2010
    Co-Founder/Software Engineer
    Atlanta
    You have 120 days. At the 90 day mark, Apple will notify you that you must upload a binary. I have a blog post i wrote about 3 months ago covering this: http://blog.fine-dandy.com/post/4514943324/how-to-reserve-your-app-store-app-name-and-why

As far as trademark issues...i'm not sure. If you really want to protect yourself then file for a trademark now, otherwise I'd see how viable your title will become before shelling out the money for a tm.

4. pinkandpurple

May 19, 2011
    Secretary
    Yes but Do you know how expensive it is to trademark something?

Because I have trademarked a game just for UK 15 years ago

5. pinkandpurple

May 19, 2011
    Secretary
    What about Android please?

Is there a limit to submit an app or game?

6. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    This is an iPhone dev forum, you'd be better off asking in some Android dev forum. You'd probably get answers anyway though...

Limit? :confused:

7. pchukwura

pchukwura Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2010
    Co-Founder/Software Engineer
    Atlanta
    Last time i trademarked something, it was probably around $350, which isn't too expensive but not cheap either. If you're worried about trademark issues, then the price to trademark your game shouldn't be a top concern.

8. pinkandpurple

May 19, 2011
    Secretary
    But what happens if you launch an app or game that is NOT trademark and hen someone else comes along and trademarks it?

THey can kick you out of the store right?

9. Java

Java Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2010
    United States
    ^ I believe in that case you may have a chance to fight it. If you show that your application was submitted and approved for sale before the trademarked one came along, you could potentially win.

Not 100% sure.

But the 120 day mark is correct. After that I don't think you can use that name again, like ever.

10. pinkandpurple

May 19, 2011
    Secretary
    But the complications of Trademark is that if you just Trademark in USA for instance and not UK then what if someone Trademarks in UK and you have your USA Trademark and your both wanting to sell?

Complicated right?

11. Java

Java Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2010
    United States
    Very.

Patent, trademark, servicemark, laws always confused me. Theres just too many "what-ifs" it seems. Best bet is to be prepared incase the worst happens. If you cant afford a trademark right off the bat then so be it. But when theres room in your budget then by all means go ahead and file for one.

12. Moonjump

Moonjump Well-Known Member

May 17, 2010
    Game designer
    Lincoln, UK
    I believe the case is that if you register a trademark in one country, you have priority in all other countries for 1 year, meaning you have the name reserved for that time, so if your game is a success, you will have time to expand you registrations.

Of course laws are updated and vary from country to country, so you should check for yourself before acting on this.

13. pinkandpurple

May 19, 2011
    Secretary
    That is very satisfying to know