Universal Phoenix HD - A Modern Arcade Shmup (by Firi Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, Aug 11, 2011.

1. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    El, the crash I told you about is when I try and click on the blue arrow for any of my scores.
    Open Phoenix HD ---> Your High Scores ---> Click on a location ---> Click on blue arrow and the app crashes, every time.

2. Selachii

Selachii Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    We can't reproduce this, it would be great if you can locate the crash reports and send them to support(at)firigames.com or el(at)firigames.com. Or both! Thanks in advance :)

3. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    #883 SumoSplash, Apr 16, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
    So El, any more thought on having separate Leaderboards for games influenced by IAP and games without? ;) Or as you said, a toggle option to differentiate the two?

4. Selachii

Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    Single-use boosts are fun so we don't want to downplay their use. Furthermore we don't want to add more complexity to the Leaderboards, it's already a heavyweight for most players. There are arguments for each side and we are keeping it simple for now.

We're working on lots of very cool things at the moment, one is a patch for Phoenix HD with a new ship and possibly a new drone. No promises :)

5. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    You're a tough man to sway. I think that's why I keep trying :p

How about drones that drop from within the game and last temporarily? I do not suggest this to take away from the IAP. I simply feel it would be cool to have permanent ones that you can buy and ones that drop and then disappear. People may even be more inclined to buy them once they see them in action too.

6. It was asked in the icade joystick thread how an icade core joystick would play with an iphone and itouch. Since I had only used it for my ipad, linked it to my iphone 4. First game I powered up was Phoenix hd, and then a bunch of others. They worked just fine, you can play with your iphone/itouch in the cavity, or separate from the icade core joystick.

It was kinda cool to play Phoenix hd on my iphone with a joystick, totally cool.

Attached Files:

7. Selachii

Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    Awesome, we're glad you like it so much, it's really rewarding (for us at least :) ) to read these posts. Thank you!

8. Juslas

Juslas New Member

Apr 9, 2012
    Game Impressions

Icade worked but how to enter name for high score table.
    This is just too common user interface error. We can blame Apple, iCade but at the end it is the game you play ...

9. Yeah, that is an icade problem cause icade just imitates a stupid bluetooth keyboard. The only way to do it is to exit out of the app and turn off bluetooth, then enter it. Kinda sucks that icade is not a true joystick protocol too cause it would be smoother if it was. Plus I would love a stick like the icade core with 2 big sticks so one could play dual stick shooters. But the reality of the situation is that icade is a keyboard, so in ios, the keyboard can not be used. Sure, probably developers can add an joystick input feature, but probably way too much work for a developer for now.

10. Selachii

Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    Yeah this is a very annoying problem. We have spent a lot of time to see if we could work our way around this. We can't temporarily disable it or something like that. All work-arounds created other or bigger problems. The first time a name is entered simply has to be done without an iCade connected. Or you need to copy-paste it from a different App, I think that works.

We are currently tuning the gameplay for the new ship btw guys. The visuals are also almost done :)

11. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    That means screen shots :D

12. RCranium666

RCranium666 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    Thought of another type of ship for either player or enemy. It could be called Juggernaut and ram the enemy. You could power it up somehow. Got the idea from when you use the 20 level skip option. Ramming through those big ship is cool and unique.

13. Selachii

Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    Haha, hmm, well Flare Elite had this laser overdrive that creates a laser sphere around the ship that did near infinite damage. It plays like one of those demolition balls :)

Anyway, the new ship will have some mechanics we are still tuning and changing. I can give you guys a reveal though:
    <drumroll>
    It will be a 1-hit=death ship!

Start your speculation engines on how that would work ;)

14. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Less bullets, slow motion, or maybe bullet canceling.

15. RCranium666

RCranium666 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    An all encompassing explosion after which your ship reconstituted itself. A rammer. Ultimate toothpaste laser!:D

16. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    #896 SumoSplash, May 9, 2013
    Last edited: May 9, 2013
    I like the idea of both a rammer and toothpaste laser. A toothpaste laser done 'Selachii Style' would easily qualify as the greatest toothpaste laser ever. We'll save those ideas for Ship #7.

EDIT: I also agree that the Phoenix Wake would be awesome as some kind of weapon somewhere along the line, or maybe some variation of it. Those visuals are too delicious to not be utilized in the game.

17. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Is the Speculation Engine what Phoenix HD 2 is going to run off of? :p

18. Selachii

Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    Haha, you guessed it! Nah, in al seriousness, we have been gathering concepts for Phoenix 2 for a long while now and it will probably be a very different beast than Phoenix HD. But this is all irrelevant at the moment, first we're adding a new ship to Phoenix HD.... toothpaste laser you say? hmmmmmm

19. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    #899 SumoSplash, May 10, 2013
    Last edited: May 10, 2013
    Oh man, is that a 'hmmmmmmm' of consideration? Don't you tease me! Not with a toothpaste laser! I can see it now... A vibrant, sparkling toothpaste laser--dark purple with glittering blue speckles--wrapping and coiling around the screen, locking onto multiple turrets of multiple vessels--maybe even a special ability to cancel out bullets as the laser passes by them...

[​IMG]

20. Selachii

Patreon Silver

Nov 13, 2009
    Game Designer
    Netherlands
    @sumo: After some prototyping I regret to inform you, and Homer, that the toothpaste concept (inspired by Raiden II, I guess?), will be stored for later use ;)

In other news, the new ship will be the hardest to play with and will give the shortest play sessions with the highest pacing so far (in Phoenix HD) :)