iPad Tower of Fortune - (by Game Stew)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 29, 2012.

1. BBD

BBD Well-Known Member

May 19, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Fun little game, but it gets seriously grindy towards the end. 37k+ gold to unlock the last two areas would take several hours of grinding since the gold rewards don't really go up much in the later levels, and this game isn't worth the $10-15 IAP to get enough to unlock it.

2. retr0spective

retr0spective Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Riverside, CA
    Greetings,

I just finished the game with all three endings and I am left feeling ... highly satisfied. In contrast to the many iOS games that are endless in nature, these ending sequences brought a nice sense of closure and completion to the effort spent in achieving them. The Lovecraftian element was likewise phenomenal. The effect that can be achieved with such low resolution is quite surprising. I wonder what kind of expansions might be in store for this game. Although I was able to complete it without IAP, I am considering making a purchase just to give some additional support to the developers - this game was that enjoyable!

3. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    I just noticed that this says it supports game center and it shows up in game centre but says "never played" ? Is this happening for everyone.

4. sanitymops

sanitymops Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2011
    The game got a front page review today! Since I just discovered it I will leave my impressions in a few hours. So far it looks like everyone is digging it!

5. Puce Moose

Puce Moose Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2011
    Thanks for sharing those thoughts; that's great news! I was afraid that it was another "endless xxxx" style of game, and I've never really enjoyed those; I am much more satisfied when I can reach a completion condition.

Is there any kind of exploration within the battle areas, or does it just proceed from battle to battle? I saw that "12 tavern quests" were mentioned; are there any kind of non-combat quests (solving puzzles, etc.)? Any overland map/exploring within the combat areas?

6. Bloko

Bloko Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    You have to unlock the levels of the tower, that's the only "area exploration" thing you'll find there. But don't get me wrong, this game doesn't really need the exploration factor. :)

All the quests are based on the slots outcomes (like "make 3 combos" for combats or "get two lady's kisses" in the tavern, etc). Besides that, after battles you'll roll the slots to find what you got out of a chest and eventually you'll fight against thieves that show up to steal your money, sort of a minigame.

7. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    While I know its comes down to luck for slot games..how long did it take for you guys to reach the end?

8. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    You said it first, it really comes down to luck. I opened the first three areas almost right away because i got a 900 gold spin. And it isnt juat the gold, another time I got a really really nicE sword that made fights that seemed way over my level very easy to win. But since every time you die all your items reset it does come down to luck most of the time.

Im only need to open thE final area and its taking some time now, i havent died in a while and got some nice equipment but I havent hit a big jackpot so the gold is acumulating somewhat slowly, its grindy but not excesive and its very hard to put down once youre hooked.

P.S. For an exact playing time ive put a little over two hours ornse on the game and have hit two "big" jackpots in said time.

9. multimage

multimage Well-Known Member

One thing that I realized and helped a lot to stop dying is the Exit button during combat. So if things start to go wrong, I just get the heck out of the battle! It's not like I lost a big investment and later on, it's much better to lose some gold than losing all progress.

Also, when fighting a hard level, it seems that a bomb can make all the difference. So I make sure to always have a bomb with me. But I don't buy any bombs while grinding. No use to waste them since they're pricey at first.

So yeah, much easier since I started to use the Exit button.

10. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    Dude thanks! I actually didnt noticed this in all the time playing! Thanks

11. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    #31 tops2, May 7, 2012
    Last edited: May 7, 2012
    Thanks for the response! Just seeing how long it takes to play this game and if its like one of those +60 hours game (ie: Crimsonheart level of grinding; thats a really good game..but way too long for me) or a 2-3 hours game. I just finished a few long games (20+ hours) the past few weeks so want a break from anymore long games in the near future...

12. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Would it be possible to add audio options to the game, such as the ability to mute the music but keep the sound effects? That would be greatly appreciated.

13. CroRock

CroRock Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2011
    Croatia
    Great addictive game.. Can't put it down for 2 hours!
    I have one question.. Does item bonuses stacks or if you have 2 similar items - better one counts? For example i have Shield of Thorn and Armor of Thorn. Both gives def+1 and one gives 15% and other 20% chance to reflect half damage to enemy. So does that means I got 35% chance or what?

And btw.. Really looking forward to future content updates!

14. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    Really want to pick this up, but want to know if there is an iPad version in the works. Any word?

15. Ickon

Ickon Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    What is the point of playing at a higher level of the dungeon?
    You have to pay to fight there but i dont seem to earn more coins.
    In fact i sometimes earn less than what it cost me to fight there.
    The victory XP difference does not seem worth the coin investment...
    Did i miss something?

16. steelsauce

steelsauce Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    This is my problem as well. The later areas need much better money spins at the end to make them worth the 300+ entry price. Also, the fact that the bosses gain hp each time they are defeated is annoying, like when the boss with 100% damage reflection has more health than you. Overall I would suggest picking this game up for a dollar, but don't expect to beat it without IAP.

17. x999x

x999x Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    I had it all... trinkets, armor, 2 keys, weapons, and just scored some awesome boots that had the same passive reflective properties as my chest piece, and then... I lost it all. I forgot to stock up on potions and just watched my guy die thinking he'd chug a pot while I grinded more gold to equip my boots...

The penalties are so tough in this game, talk about old school!

Having another go at this, I've gotten over being discouraged, I mean this IS what games were like when I was a kid, you lost it all, and if the game even had saves, it was done with codes you had to write down...

18. sanitymops

sanitymops Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2011
    I find that grinding the lower levels yields up a lot of money - especially if you hit the prize fights. Way better than trying to earn money at the higher tiers.

19. Samurai

Samurai Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Picked this game up this morning and I really like it, especially the retro feeling. I'm traveling a lot by train and it's perfect for short plays. So far I didn't have a single crash.

There's just one issue. Sometimes when you find a treasure you'll have to fight the scum family, right? Somehow I'm invincible in those fights. Even when the enemy hit's me and the game says "-5" or something, I never actually lose hp. At first I thought it was some kind of joke because Scum Jr. was so weak, but it happens in the mom & dad fights as well.

20. kennfusion

kennfusion Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 2, 2008
    Brooklyn, New York
    That is because the Scum family has no interest in harming you, they are too busy putting their hands in your pockets. Watch your gold with them.