What to use for Graphics And Animations?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by PeterM11, May 25, 2009.

1. PeterM11

PeterM11 Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    East Coast, USA
    #1 PeterM11, May 25, 2009
    Last edited: May 26, 2009
    Hi, I'm starting to develop a game with my friend and was wondering, what software do you use to create graphics such as scenery and characters and to create animations such as the characters moving and all?
    I need some software to design it for a 2D game but I want it to look good.

Any suggestions??
    Thanks!

P.S. The cheaper the better! :)

2. Thorero

Thorero Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Graphic Designer, 3D Modeller, Web Design
    Portugal
    I use Adobe Photoshop CS4 for most of my work, it can be used for both animated and non-animated images. However if I need to, I also use Inkscape if I ever need to do any .svg work.

The thing with Photoshop, or a program like GIMP for that matter, is you have to practice, anyone can have the software, but you have to have the talent too. So get on out there, do some tutorials, practice, try and even replicate graphics you see in other games, just practice.

3. touchme

touchme Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Bay Area
    What I would do is take some graphing paper(the one with the squares), and sketch out what you want. Then, scan it to your computer and use photoshop, gimp, seashore, etc. or some other imaging program to trace and color what you want. This will give it a more professional look and feel.

4. Thorero

Thorero Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Graphic Designer, 3D Modeller, Web Design
    Portugal
    Unless you're like me, who can't draw to save their life using a piece of paper, but can easily mock up a complex scene using a mouse.

5. ferret

ferret Member

May 19, 2009
    AP/PM
    Vancouver!
    We use Photoshop, Maya and/or 3D Max - its also not as easy as just drawing what you want. A great artist can make things look amazing within the constraints of low polys. This is especially an issue on the iPhone. That's why a lot of the rad looking games (Sway, Rolando, ZenBound, Zombieville) are really graphic (IMHO).

6. PeterM11

PeterM11 Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    East Coast, USA
    Looks like I'm gonna try out Photoshop.
    Thanks for all the answers!

And to anyone else just an FYI... The cheaper the better :)

7. SSJGohan3972

SSJGohan3972 Member

May 6, 2009
    This has been a problem for me as well, I have GIMP on my PC and my Mac and have been working on tutorials and practicing a bunch but unfortunately i'm not really the artistic type, that just means I'll have to practice more and put a bit more effort into the graphics then most would.

8. Intruder_qcc

Intruder_qcc Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Senior Analyst-programmer
    St-Hubert (Quebec), Canada
    I am also using GIMP which is a bit similar to Photoshop but its an open source projects and its FREE. Though you will need to install X11 as this is not a Cocoa based applications.