Regarding promo codes...is this possible?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by z0|¥|b1_G-zus, Feb 25, 2010.

1. z0|¥|b1_G-zus

z0|¥|b1_G-zus Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2010
    Selinsgrove, PA
    I've been coming to TA for about 3 months now. I joined in the beginning of February and soon started my newest addiction involving my iPhone, the TA forums.

In the 3 months I've been regularly visiting the site I've paid particular attention to what promo codes are being offered. So far during my regular visits I've only ever managed to get my hands on 1 working promo code for Zombie Parade. I honestly believe the only reason I got the code is because of the method the dev used to distribute them. That was to send a pm and ask.

I can't count how many times I've gone to a promo code thread minutes after it was posted to find every code gone with no "I took this one" notice, no follow-up game impressions or reviews, no anything but the lurkers snagging them...and that's it. IMO this defeats the purpose of what the devs are trying to accomplish and what the ones who get a code should do out of appreciation...spread info about the apps for those of us who are curious, but unsure.

So my question is this. Is it at all possible to make the promo code section available to members only who are actually interested in contributing to the site and efforts of the devs? If so, what are the odds of this possibility becoming a reality?

And yes, I realize that a person could just open an account with the sole purpose of getting access to the codes, but still I think it might keep some of the lurkers at bay.

Thoughts anyone?

2. goldglover411

goldglover411 Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2009
    ipod touch game reviewer
    USA
    this has been discussed many times...but devs really dont want to send out 50 PM's...its easy just to post them

3. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    Maybe have the people who want the code that badly leave a simple post about why they want that game? That way we can make sure it isn't just an "Ah, it's a code... I'll grab it" decision or a lurker stealing it YET AGAIN. Then the top 5 or so can be selected for promo codes.

Otherwise contests, such as reviews of other apps by the dev, work well too.

4. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    devs could also just copy and paste the codes into a text file and have it as a downloadable in the promo posting

-only TA members can download the file
    -the dev doesn't have to send out or receive a billion PMs

5. z0|¥|b1_G-zus

z0|¥|b1_G-zus Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2010
    Selinsgrove, PA
    I did find it hard to believe this wouldn't have been discussed before so I apologize if I started a thread if one already exists. I'm still a learnin' boy.

Didn't think of it being easier for the devs to just post codes for the taking so point taken there. What about making it so only those who have passed junior member status can have access to the promo code section? It might eliminate people who are only looking for something for free without having to give anything back.

Believe it or not this is the first site whose forums I've both followed and posted to so I'm still a little naive as to what is and isn't possible.

6. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    People who want to give honest feedback don't go looking for codes. They are offered them by devs. They take the time to feedback and then devs take notice and they reward them or asks them to give their game feedback. They also get private beta builds, etc. Not that I would know :p

7. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Cuz people just write unbelievable bullshit

8. therhino

therhino Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Georgia
    I would to an extent be one of those people who was offered a promo code in exchange for a review and I find it an honor.

9. ZombieParade

ZombieParade Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    IT Solutions Architect
    New Zealand
    There's also an annoying little 'feature' that prevents you from sending more than 1 PM per minute. So if you had 50 requests for promo codes, it would take you at least 50 minutes to send them all out =)

10. mattll

mattll Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2009
    bavaria
    you could also make the promo code forum invisible to the guests
    so only member can see the codes and the threads

11. therhino

therhino Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Georgia
    That IMO is an excellent idea, but don't make it invisible, just when they click it tell them they have to register to view. That would completely fix it.

12. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    This. Its an easy fix to the lurkers problem, but is rarely utilized, I've only seen ~3 devs use this technique.

13. madmud101

madmud101 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Funny, I was just thinking about this (when I somehow followed a link to an old promo code giveaway and saw that the first poster said that they were all taken by lurkers. I also thought that they should somehow make it only for members and so continued browsing and came across this thread! What a coincidence.

14. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

have any of you guys ever thought that maybe developers want to give the codes to a wider range of people than the members of the TA forums? why do we have to be the elite?

and anyway, pm for codes can also go really quickly, and they aren't neccesarily better for the dev. firstly, it's annoying to send out 50 pms consecutively (as mentionde before) also, not neccesarily all people who pm will review!