[Question] Game Budget?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Belthazzar, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Belthazzar

Belthazzar Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Hello guys,

I see in many different topics mentioned budget requied for making a game, going into high amounts.

But when you already have PC bought, youre making game with friends (=no sallaries) and you preety much draw it in (already legally bought :p) photoshop, for what are money requied then?

2. Chem7

Chem7 Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    Lots of questions:

3d
    2d top down
    RPG
    FPS
    SEX
    Donkey handjobs
    RTS
    MMO

The budget depends on the aboe.

3. amroc

amroc Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Male
    Games Programmer
    London, England
    #3 amroc, Feb 28, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
    It's also money "lost" from the time you sacrifice. If you quit your day job (as I did) to make an iphone game then all your living expenses can be considered costs.

Re: Photoshop. I use audacity, gimp, and blender. I'm sure the paid equivalents will be superior, however I have found them all very useful (and free!). Keeps budgets even lower!

4. Quorlan

Quorlan Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Designer
    Georgia
    There are many discussions about game making budgets in this and other forums, but it seems you've eliminated some of the high costs. A very basic breakdown of where you can spend a lot of money developing games includes items such as the following:

1. Paying skilled developers to write the code
    2. Paying graphic artists to do the interface and artwork for the game
    3. Paying game designers to create the gameplay itself
    4. Paying for an Apple iPhone Developer program license
    5. Paying for the equipment and software necessary for developing the game
    6. Paying for marketing/pr to get your game noticed

From the info in your post, it would appear you've got all but #4 and #6 covered. #4 costs $99 (cheap) and #6 can be done creatively and well for relatively little if you do it right.

So in your case, there may not be a high financial cost of development involved, but no matter what, developing does take time. So while you may not need to make a heavy financial investment to get your game made, you'll still have to invest the time to get it done.