Going into the Dragons Den (Canadian version) to get roasted.

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Syndicated Puzzles, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Syndicated Puzzles

Syndicated Puzzles Well-Known Member

Flying to Toronto tonight to enter the Dragons Den (Tuesday) with my puzzle Str8ts. Entering the den only with a piece of paper is always hard but I am hoping to pull it off. Wish me luck!

2. iFanzine

iFanzine Well-Known Member

Best of luck!

3. ASB

ASB Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Good luck.

4. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    What's that? Some conference?

5. simplymuzik3

simplymuzik3 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Wow! Im so excited! When when the show air on TV? I can't wait to watch it! Please make a tread once it's available!

Good luck to you! :D

6. monk666

monk666 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2008
    I saw that show before. It's like a couple of rich businessmen being the target of a sell job from a participant, whom usually has a new business or just a new idea and hoping to get funding. I thought it's a bull. Do they really give you the money to invest in your business?

Well see if you can dupe some of these "dragons" out of their gold. lol

7. MexicanJesus

MexicanJesus Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Awesome, and good luck!
    I love this show and shark tank. Cool seeing all the new ideas. But hopefully they don't lol @ u

8. CastleSoftware

Apr 25, 2010
    Author/Designer
    UK
    Ha i love this show in the UK.. well good luck, and keep calm :)

9. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

I had no idea there was a Canadian version, I love the BBC version. Is it watchable online anywhere?

10. Gregerh

Gregerh Active Member

Wow, hope it goes well! And if you afterwards find a Youtube clip or something similar from the event - be sure to link it so we can see how it went!

Good luck :)

11. Hey Eli,

CBC has the episodes online here: http://www.cbc.ca/dragonsden/video.html

I haven't seen the BBC version though, so I can't compare.

12. Syndicated Puzzles

Syndicated Puzzles Well-Known Member

Back from the Den!

It was probably one of the best experiences I have ever had! Not allowed to discuss any details (reality show) but wow!

13. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    #13 Mew2468, Apr 30, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
    Good luck - I love Dragon's Den (I'll keep my eye out for you on TV) :).

Crap, didn't notice you had already done the show; can't wait to see you on TV. :)

14. eJayStudios

eJayStudios Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2009
    even if you won't succeed, it is still a good marketing for your game?

15. bmn0210

bmn0210 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2010
    Great, yet more ****ing discrimination because of the country I happen to be in.

Oh well, guess I'll be getting this off bittorrent as well.

But this continues to puzzle me - if the media are as afraid of piracy as they say, what the hell are they gaining from pushing honest users to use bittorrent?

16. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    #16 Flickitty, Apr 30, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
    Is it a live show? Normally shows don't air immediately and I don't see a significant fluctuation in str8ts sales.

Something that I noticed about your categories: Puzzle games (str8ts 6x6) is highly competitive, and you are doing nothing in that category . Card games (str8ts) is also highly competitive, and again you are not accomplishing much in that category.

Str8ts really isn't that far out of the top 100 in Dice Games, I might recommend you change your categories to Dice Games and Word Games. Those two categories are more closely matched, and Word Games is extremely easy to get into the Top 100.

I know Str8ts isn't a word game, but people that like crossword puzzles and word searches sometimes enjoy Soduku (it's a newspaper thing). I don't think it is too much of a stretch. You might see a crossover, and it could increase your sales enough to get into the Top 100 Dice Games.

A word of warning to devs that might consider putting their random game into Word Games in order to increase sales: it doesn't work.