The Best games you've downloaded for free? + best games that are virtually unknown

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by TheCatsMeow, May 25, 2011.

1. TheCatsMeow

TheCatsMeow Well-Known Member

May 17, 2011
    Sometimes I won't give a game a second glance,
    But then they do a free promotion for a day, I download to test it out
    And am very pleasantly surprised,
    I'm Curious to know what games other people have downloaded for free,
    And were pleasantly surprised by?

Here's mine:

IceCreamMania
    This is a simple puzzle game in which you have to mimic an ice cream pattern with different colors, patterns, etc by using 5 color paint pots and a bunch of stencils.. I've spent countless hours perfecting each level with 5 stars,
    It gets extremely challenging! And very addictive

Vikings Slice
    This game is similar to an oldie called diamond cut,
    Your out at sea and must save the Vikings And have them land in their boat,
    Some must be sliced from the ice, and others muct be knocked by ice that you slice off icebergs to be knocked into the boat..
    This is one of the best physics puzzlers I've ever played

Smoody
    Another awesome physics puzzler

Chocolate tycoon
    I was addicted to this for weeks
    Time management style game, with chocolate!

ISlash
    One of my All time favorites, so glad they put this up for free because I definitely wouldn't have given it a chance otherwise, I'm a girl and things with ninja stars in the description Don't usually excite me..but now they do! This game is sik

Bob Jump
    Again, another favourite that is virtually unknown,
    This game is a mixture of "the incident" and tetris,
    You are a little man, that could be compared to old skool Mario,
    Who must avoid tetris-like blocks that keep falling from above, and climbing higher and higher to avoid the blades at the bottom of the screen,
    Kinda like an endless runner, but instead an endless avoider/climber

Farm Break
    Another one of my favorite puzzlers, you control 3 sheep who help each other reach the door at the other side of the level, big sheep can move things, middle sheep jumps highest, small sheep fits in small places torres switches, etc,there's a few clones in the AppStore at the moment such as Indian family and home sheep home, but none compare to farm break!

Sheepernova
    Sheep in space,
    All kinda of crazy gravity and you must flick the sheep to collect the stars a d get the the warp gate, some levels you must only use 1 flick, some levels you have multiple sheep, etc..it's really fun , one of the first games I ever got for free and is still one of my favorites

Cover orange
    you must protect your character, an orange, from getting hit, you have to move around objects then press play, and the rain cloud comes across and hopefully doesn't hit you

Other notable mentions (but more known)
    Typing Maniac
    Crazy Rhino
    slice it
    Beyond YNTH (I purchased this, but it was recently free)
    Chop chop caveman (purchased)
    Time geeks (purchased)
    cat physics
    Sunday lawn
    Tiki totems 2

Note- these games are probably not still free, but were once free..

Has anyone else been pleasantly surprised by a game they thought they wouldn't like? Free or not?

If you havent heard of these games you should check them out, especially if you like puzzlers!

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Theres some great free content out there, a lot of dross but you do find a fair few gems and then theres some great games which are suddenly free for a promotion (Eg on the Touch Arcade news site it mentions that Golf game (Super Stickman Golf) which is free at the moment).

I find theres a lot of decent free puzzle games out there, problem is theres soooo many you have to wade through a lot of rubbish.

I found this app to be excellent - Free-App Hero - the app ironically isnt free, but its only 99c.

It paid itself straight away when it suggested a couple of great free games which i downloaded. Basically everyday the guy updates it with 5 or so reviews of free games. Well worth getting.

3. Murbs

Murbs Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Gloucester, UK
    So many free (free for a day or freemium) games come and go from my iPhone; guess there's a reason they're given away. Occasionally a few great titles get to stay :)

Bit Pilot - Retro style (love retro style games on iOS) asteroid avoidance. Great score attack game

Dropship - I believe it's ad-supported, but another great retro 'thrust' style game. Love where they're sourcing the names of the people you rescue from too!

Mecho Wars - Advance wars on iOS

Civilization Revolution - natch ;)

Robot Wants Kitty - I *love* 2D retro style platformers!

What grieves me the most though is the amount of games that suddenly appear free not long after I've drop 59p + on them! Can't quite remember where I read it (probably here) but someone's classic line of 'another 59p sacrificed to the gods of chance' is often so true /o\

4. SirAwesome

SirAwesome Well-Known Member

May 20, 2010
    Broken Sword was awesome and got it for free during a Christmas promotion

5. Joo

Joo Member

Jul 13, 2009
    I'm really liking "7 Little Words"

"Relax" by Andrew Johnson has a free version that's nearly as great as the paid version, if that counts.

6. Shankopotamus

Shankopotamus Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2011
    I just got Great Little War Game for free, and I have been loving it. I might buy the HD and iaps to support the devs.

7. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    I've downloaded so many good games for free I can't remember...

I've also downloaded a lot of crappy games for free... lol...

8. userfume

userfume Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    Highborn, alien space and solomon's boneyard are app great and have been free

Actually, I think SB is still free - criminal that it's not even in the free charts, such a great game

9. TheCatsMeow

TheCatsMeow Well-Known Member

May 17, 2011

I've had that app for about a month..your right.it does pay for itself,,it's quite nice that he individually writes reviews for each game that's currently free and worthy! Specially for the price.. Another great one is app zap..it's the main one I check everyday..in hate waiting for the game trails free games videos to be uploaded (around 3am here..by the time i wake up there often not on sale anymore..)so i started digging for free games myself , app zap almost always picks them all up, then I also check app hero, openfeint, app miner, free app a day, and app dream..god that sounds obsessive, but i hate missing out on free games..usually people always catch on and post them here quite quickly which is nice..ever since I joined up here abou t a week ago I've stopped checking the free app apps and rely on the discount and free threads..

Don't get me started on buying a game, then it goes up for free..I don't know why but it feels like I've lost a leg or something! When really, it's only a few dollars..i think it's because iTunes cards go so quickly with me, when it's there I have to spend it, and every app I get for free is one more app I get to buy.. The quote you mentioned is a good one, haven't heard that one yet, but it's very true, I'm in Aussie and every game is marked up more than the USA and other countries, if a game on sale is advertised at 2.99 it actually costs $4 here which is incredible annoying when you leave just enough credit to buy a certain app that's being released, then you have to wait til the next day to go buy another iTunes card.. Terribly frustrating! Will check out some of those games..sounds cool and ad-supported is the next best phrase other than FREE for a day! I can't believe those words can bring such joy! Haha..

I am addicted to 7 little words currently, me and my mum played through the sunrise pack together and finished it quite quickly, bought the chocolate pack and am now on level 20.. Don't know what I'm going to do when I finish all the packs, it's good to keep your mind active, even if it is a game on an iPad!
    I'm Aussie though and some of the questions are very yankee which sometimes makes it a bit difficult, nothing google can't handle though:)

10. Shaz

Shaz Well-Known Member

#10 Shaz, May 28, 2011
    Last edited: May 28, 2011
    It got in the charts when it came out but has since slipped out of sight - but I keep playing GeoDefence. It's the best tower defence game. (It's not free but there is a lite version)

And just started playing Say What You See (a free puzzle game) - liking the 80s video game/movie/songs puzzles.

11. Wild Frontier - The best ARPG out there and it's free too!

Sword of Fargoal - Was free ages ago, an epic dungeon crawler (roguelike)!

12. 12yam

12yam Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2010
    Toronto
    Broken Sword
    Gravity Hook
    Super Stickman Golf
    GLWG (its so awesome, i figured I had to get the HD version)
    Civilization
    Fragger (i think its still free!)

13. snowdude11

snowdude11 Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2010
    Uniwar, RunStickRun!, Operation WOW, Flying Hamster.

14. injuwarrior

injuwarrior Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    soozis
    sfera-camera app
    uber racer
    wispin

15. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Stuck on Geodefense which is currently free. Undercroft is fun too.

16. Lynx-

Lynx- Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2010
    Student
    England
    I have got quite a lot of good games for free
    Paper ninja
    Tilt to live
    Wispin
    Aftermath
    Bug heroes
    The creeps
    Solomon's keep

17. magonicolas

magonicolas Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Paper Ninja
    Bug Heros
    ePig Dash

18. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Cubed rally racer, Rogue planet, Car jack streets, HighBorn... So many!

19. foxmulderino

foxmulderino Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Student
    Italy
    Highborn, Get outta my galaxy!, Flip zoo, Daring racoon, Braveheart, Fragger, Zombie pizza, Seed of salvation, Save Toshi 1 and 2

20. appyboy

appyboy Active Member

May 15, 2011
    Environmental Planner
    New Zealand
    A Maniac Mouse was a great quick play freebie I found - these's an IAP additional garden pack now.