Real time game sales data?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by MrLeQuack, Oct 7, 2011.

1. MrLeQuack

MrLeQuack Well-Known Member

Hi guys,
    First of all I would like to know if there is something like this made, in witch case I will not bother! I am obsessed with sales, as I'm sure most of you are, and the one day waiting is killing me!So my question is, is there a service that will show me the sales in real time?
    My idea was to make a script in my apps, that when the user opens them for the first time, it talks to a server and let's me know, in addition it would also give me a sound alert(I've seen this in a movie). It's obvious that when an user buys an app, it opens it right away!The notification will be given just the first time the app is launched!:D
    What do you think?
    Thanks

2. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
  3. Justin@PhykenMedia

Justin@PhykenMedia Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2011
    Project Manager
    Sounds like a fun idea but it could get really annoying if your game is popular and you're hearing a beeping sound every few minutes.

What if you took a monitor and had a counter displayed on it that would increase by one everytime some activated the script in your game. This way you could have a nice large visual representation on how well your game is doing.

4. MrLeQuack

Flurry sure has a lot of features, I see they have a new users graph which shows you hourly data, but i don't think it's in real time!

@Justin yeah, you are probably right, the beeping could be annoying, i'll do them both , with the possibility to turn off the sound:)

5. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    You could make a service which lets other developers update your server and then displays the real-time sales information on a web portal they can access. This would be convenient for developers without servers ...assuming Apple is alright with this.

Would any of you developers be interested in a service like that?

6. MrLeQuack

I am not sending any user data, so i guess apple should have no problem with this!I am planing on making it open source, so anybody can use it, if I am happy with the results, a service for developers will be the next thing i will do!

7. mr.Ugly

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    well i don't see the obsession to have a real time sales figure, because it does not make a difference at all to the majority of the devs out there.. no sales are no sales ;)

actualy daily sales are even something pretty advanced if you come from retail market where it takes alot longer to get actual numbers back to you..

and a ticker that annoys you for every purchase sound oddly annoying..
    especialy since a bulk of thoose will be pirated anyway.. so alot of ding ding ding which means nothing compared to real sales numbers from apple.. hmm..

its a bit like judging your sales numbers from (live updated) game center users of your game.. its just does not show the real sales data..

8. MrLeQuack

I didn't say its useful or necessary, you can deduct sales as you said from game center or just by looking at the charts, even dough it's not accurate having a big screen that shows how many times your app has been downloaded in real time is just plain awesome:).
    On the other hand if you have a hit every 5 hours or more it's just frustrating.

9. mr.Ugly

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    well the easiest way i could think this could work is loading a tiny image from a webserver and let the counting be done on the webserver

but again.. if the numbers are not accurate why go the length to implement such a feature.. they don't differ between paid and pirated.. they can't include offline devices.. and somehow it sounds more like an gimick than anything else to me.. im my humble opinion..

buuutt.. if you think you need this for whatever reasons then go ahead.. i would just not put too much work into a "service" (website and stuff) that has that much analytics limitations..

cheers and have fun :D

10. blitter

blitter Well-Known Member

11. MrLeQuack

A service would be kind of an overkill but if people like it it's not out of the question!
    @blitter talk about taking it to the next level, thats what i want to do, minus the robot :)

12. DomAjean

DomAjean Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    I find that app figure is pretty accurate, there's is a one day delay for the sales but charts are close to real time.

https://www.appfigures.com

Dominic

13. ratcatcher

ratcatcher Member

Jul 25, 2011
    Wanderer
    US
    Appfigures charges after 7 days free trial.

So I'm using http://www.hourlychart.com/ It's nearly the same and free! :)

14. nynix

nynix Member

May 22, 2011
    I've also been using Appfigures. Thanks for letting us know of an alternative. I'll have to check it out.

15. LazyGamer

LazyGamer Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Kiel, Germany
    and the guys at Halbrick and Rovio cant hear it as the frequency would be to high for the human ear :D

16. nickcaveman

nickcaveman Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2009
    illustrator and graphic-designer
    bremen/germany
    try majicrank (mac only, free).
    it doesn`t show you really the sales, but if you are in the top 200 in your categorie.
    in most countries, you only need one sale to get into the top 200.
    of course it´s depending, which categorie you choose for your app.
    acarde and action are popular categories, so you may need more then one sale.

example: scream`n`run (our app), one sale in turkey today=
    arcade: 114
    action: 157

for the mainmarkets (usa, germany, japan…) you will need more then 5-10 sales to get into the top 200.

you can get the ranks as often as you want and see any changes in real time.

17. MrLeQuack

I decided to give up on the sound thing, I have a much better idea,a visual idea, i will post a video showing it in action after I finish it!

18. peterthomas

peterthomas Active Member

Oct 6, 2011
    Why dont you spend the time to wait in doing something fruitful, you should go for the update of your application, start creating an update for your app, so that your sale may go up, as its been noticed in the itune that the more frequently you bring update the more you user you ll get.