Pocketgamer announced 3.0 firmware free for ipods?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by TrueAxis, Feb 25, 2010.

1. TrueAxis

TrueAxis Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2009
    This is good news now because there is no reason why developers should support 2.2.1.

What does this mean for games?

Games run faster on firmwares 3.1 and above because the GL drivers were updated by Apple. This means games that had framerate issues on older hardware with firmware 2.2.1 will be sooo much better now.

This is the best move Apple have done in a long time.

2. CommanderData

CommanderData Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

When did that happen? Did I miss it? Do you have a link?

Going here: http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/software-update.html shows the update is still $4.95 for iPod Touch users. It would be awesome if they did finally make the upgrade free though! I still support all the way down to OS 2.0 for Rogue Touch, but would love to stay with 3.0 and up for my new game projects....

3. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
  4. TrueAxis

Sep 7, 2009
    Maybe I was getting too excited after reading the article... I hope this happens, though, because 2.2.1 is just holding up what you can do with game design on the iPhone.

5. CommanderData

Patreon Indie

Not only have they not announced it, but I think the whole article is a misunderstanding about incremental upgrades. The jump from 2.X to 3.X is paid, but the jump from 3.0 to 3.X is free. Now that I think about it, there were threads of excitement here about 10 days ago saying the same thing. So far, zero from Apple on it :D

6. TrueAxis

Sep 7, 2009
    Yeah, I think you are probably right about zero from Apple... I think I need to stop working now and get some sleep because I'm not reading things correctly now ;)

3.1 would certainly make our next game more viable for the older hardware if it was free.

7. CommanderData

Patreon Indie

No worries here! I'd love to see it happen too, it would make every developer's job a lot easier. Less OS versions to worry about testing on, easier/better graphic, audio, and multiplayer support. Nice to dream! :D

8. ElectricGrandpa

ElectricGrandpa Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Game Developer
    Brampton, Ontario
    Keep in mind that part of the reason that users haven't upgraded isn't just the cost, but the fact that they don't sync it... I only sync my iPhone and iTouch once every couple months...

9. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

that would be absolute pisstake.