Anybody interested in making an rts game?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Grummie, May 28, 2012.

1. Grummie

Grummie Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Mailman
    Australia
    I'm interested in looking into developing a rts game for the iPad/iPhone and was wondering if anybody else is interested in fiddling around with it? I don't want anybody to get the wrong idea this is not a recrutment thread. And is anybody interested in a new rts game on the iOS platform?

My idea was something along the lines of Warcraft 3 but better graphics and all? How popular would this be?

2. DrummerB

DrummerB Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Switzerland
    Do you mean like a cooperation? You are obviously looking for a developer aren't you? What would be your role in this?

"Something along the lines of Warcraft 3 but better graphics and all" could be quite popular, given the right marketing. Oh.. and it would cost at least $100k to create.

3. Blackharon

Blackharon Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Game Designer for Ludia
    Canada
    You can probably add another 0 to that.

4. DrummerB

Jan 17, 2009
    Switzerland
    Probably. That was a highly optimistic guess. I think the developers of great little war game said their budget was around $100k.

5. Grummie

Nov 1, 2011
    Mailman
    Australia
    Not looking for developer just wanted to know how popular people would think this could be? It would have a full campaign and all but would start with only human and orcs. I do have a have a full lore written down, but this is mostly just to see if anybody would like a Warcraft 3 game on the iOS?

6. fernfreak

fernfreak Active Member

Jan 11, 2012
    I've always been interested in RTS games-- would definitely play yours if you made one! :) Been thinking about how it could work on an iPhone, really, but haven't really come up with any great ideas so far.

7. DrummerB

Jan 17, 2009
    Switzerland
    I don't understand why people want to create big-console games for iOS. Why would I want to play an ego-shooter with lame controls on a tiny screen when I can to that on my desktop machine? The same applies to strategy games. I don't know if I'm the exception here or not, but I rarely play iOS games at home. I play them on the go, when waiting for something. And that's usually not more then 5-10 minutes. Not enough for a round of any serious game. But this is just my personal opinion.

Do you have any experience in (iOS) development? What have you done so far? If this is going to be your first (iOS) game and if you're going to create it alone, I highly recommend looking for a much easier idea. Something simple but elegant. Otherwise you'll be working on this for 6+ months, release it and (probably) have a huge letdown when it isn't as successful as you had hoped for. With a smaller game, the risk is much lower.

8. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    I disagree. I use an iPad, and I never find the screen to be to cramped. As for controls, well, it's just a matter of getting used to them. I'm far better with a touch screen that with a game pad. Also, I enjoy being able to plop down on the sofa or whenever I feel like gaming. With a pc or console, you can't do that. Yes, there are times when I prefer my pc for certain types of games such as horror and minecraft, but I do all of my multiplayer gaming in my iPad, ie mc3, nova3, dungeon defenders, and a few rts

9. fernfreak

fernfreak Active Member

Jan 11, 2012
    Hmm, our RTS was our first iOS title; budget was a bit above what was quoted earlier, but we took three years (two years partially on contracts to raise funds for fr_elance help), main partners didn't receive a salary for the period, and an apartment was sold to help support the effort.

Whether that's financially viable is still an open question, but building it is not impossible: I don't know your background and wouldn't want to discourage you, but DrummerB has a point in keeping personal investment and expectations measured. Still, there's more to it than just the financials-- it's about having dreams too. :)

I understand though, that you're probably just asking about whether such a title would be well received or not, and that our responses are jumping the gun a little by making assumptions about what you're trying to do. :)

10. DrummerB

Jan 17, 2009
    Switzerland
    Partially, yes. But for certain types of games, like ego-shooters, RTS, where fast and precise control is important, the classic mouse+keyboard combination will beat anything else. That's why I don't understand why anyone would prefer an inferior control scheme on touch screens for these games.

I agree, on iOS you can be playing within seconds, while on a PC or console you could be waiting for it to boot up for minutes. But if you plan to play a serious game for an hour on so, does that really matter? I'd rather wait a few minutes, get a cup of coffee and then enjoy better graphics on a large screen.

May I ask if your game was a (financial) success? Not that I planned to make a RTS, but I wonder how so many people can invest such large amounts in such a risky business.

11. fernfreak

fernfreak Active Member

Jan 11, 2012
    Hmm, I did my final year project at school on mouse vs touch controls for RTS: it's still a little debatable, but my conclusion is that there are certain cases where touch can trump the mouse, and it's possible to bias the gameplay towards these cases.

Hmm, it's only been out for a few days, so it's a bit too early to tell. People have been pretty nice to us though, so I am really thankful. Looking back, I think we only tried because we were 1) crazy and 2) didn't comprehend how much it'd take to finish: the entire experience was nailbiting at times, but seeing people enjoy the game in the end makes it all worthwhile. :)

12. Grummie

Nov 1, 2011
    Mailman
    Australia
    Thanks for the input guys, always good to get feedback. I'm not going to any to detailed yet, still got a ways to go was more keen to see everybodys reception to it. Personally I love using my iPad over my pc,Xbox or ps3 ( big game nut! ) but everybody is different! =)