Universal N.O.V.A. 3 - Near Orbit Vanguard Alliance - (by Gameloft)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, May 9, 2012.

1. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    It's not that they are being left behind, it simply does not have the power to run the effects.
    It's really as simple as that.
    It's one of those catch 22 situations. Everybody wants console like games. But if the gpu, CPU, bandwidth or bus can't run them, what can you do.
    It's unfortunate, but a ps2 won't run ps3 games is the easiest comparison.

2. handintoaster

handintoaster Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2010
    That's an ok comparison but it's more like a developer made a game for the ps4 and released it for the ps3 while the ps4 isn't even out yet.

3. pueblo

pueblo Member

May 11, 2012
    They should atleast try to reduce the fog or something >.> for iPhone 4 and iPod 4 users >.>

4. Hawkeye67

Hawkeye67 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2012
    It's Apple's fault for skipping an entire upgrade cycle for the iPod Touch. A lot of people would've had 4S level hardware by now, but they continue to sell 2010 hardware to this day.

5. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    That's exactly where the problem is. I'm not sure why they did that because the iPod touch is great little device but an a5 chip is needed for it.

6. Badtz

Badtz Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2011
    I don't get it... And that example is so ridiculous that I don't even know where to begin. But since we're comparing iDevices to Sony home consoles, I will say that the the iPod touch is a PS2.

7. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

He was trying to explain the problem with the ipod touch versus the ipad 2/3 (or even iphone 4s) using an analogy that anyone could understand. I don't think that his intentions were to compare the ipod to a console.

8. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Hey Callum - could you also let the devs know we would appreciate it if you put in full customization of the controls, like mc3? Especially the reload/switch weapon icon.

9. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA

Then you obviously haven't tried the big multiplayer maps, or saw the 10 fps when rendering particle effects on glass with the defense reflections. Overall, multiplayer runs around 30-40 fps on the smaller maps like lost world, maybe 25 fps on big ones. Campaign typically runs at 35 or so fps, which is pathetic. I won't take anything but 50-60, which it is perfectly capable of doing. Half res means the device will be running in "iPad 2 mode", and since the a5x is much more powerful than the a5 at half res, the framerate will be significantly higher than the iPad 2's.

10. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Yes and at full price, too. Maybe it's just because there's no real competitor to the itouch.

11. refurb82

refurb82 Active Member

May 7, 2012
    i have no idea why apple skipped a generation with the touch... probably had 4billion a4 wafers laying around. If games gave each of us an option on what res to run then the touch4 would probably be quite the machine.

12. jar0d

jar0d Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Europe
    This is an awesome game. I am having a blast with the campaigne. I didnt like NOVA 1 so much (I even didn't try the second one) but this one is so great. A mix of Halo and Crisis. I also tried one (1) multiplayer game and it was fun. I was really surprised about the map size. Compared to Modern Combat 3 it is so huge. I can see that's a big disadvantage for iPod touch players compared to the iPad. I was really surprised about the "fog" in Der_Kleines video. However Its funny that it looks better on the iPad 2 then on the new one. I don't care for resolution - I wan't effects!! :D

13. freemini

freemini Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Stavanger, Norway
    They skipped because sales continue to decline. I don't think they consider it a profitable product anymore, more and more people move to iPhone and from there iPad. Maybe outdated hardware is one of the reasons, any way you think about it, iPod sales decline while iPhone and iPad continue to grow really fast.

14. refurb82

refurb82 Active Member

May 7, 2012
    I'm still waiting for ANYONE from gameloft to give us a date for the update. 20 emails since and zero replies. So much for customer service...

15. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

I think that's really stupid. Sales weren't declining that much back then, it is now because of the lack of upgrades. They chose not to upgrade it because the focus was on the 4S and the focus was on Siri which used many of the iphone apps. And everything lse wasn't "game-changing" (so to speak). I don't think they realized that games would evolved that fast and that a lot more ram would be needed. I'm sure that this year we'll see a new ipod touch, without a doubt.

Callum from gameloft said that there wasn't any ETA so you won't get a solid date for now!

16. freemini

freemini Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2010
    Stavanger, Norway
    It may be stupid but it works. They want you to get iPhone, it's more expensive and way more profitable for them. They have to update the iPod this year, but I doubt it'll be iPhone levels(it'll probably have A5 not A5x or A6).

17. refurb82

refurb82 Active Member

May 7, 2012
    awesome.. so knowing GL... in about 7 months I'll FINALLY be able to play the game i paid 10 bucks for as THEY advertised it. and yes im a tad disgruntle lol sorry!

18. refurb82

refurb82 Active Member

May 7, 2012
    #818 refurb82, May 14, 2012
    Last edited: May 14, 2012
    im gonna keep hounding them until they tell me a date... seriously tho, they could at least respond saying they arent sure... funny enough, i emailed the devs of Galaxy on Fire 2 who told me its a very easy thing to implement and shouldnt take them too long to change in terms of coding... but at least they responded to me lol

19. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Definitely the a5. The a5x chip is to big to fit in a small casing. And an increase in ram, hopefully.

But the iPod is primarily a music player with add-ons, not a computer or a high-end smartphone.

20. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    GOF devs don't work at a huge company like GL. Still, they're customer service is poor. And no updates fit their games, usually. Develop 'n Desert.