Caligo Chaser or Hybrid: Eternal Whisper

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by medianotzu, Mar 15, 2010.

?

Caligo Chaser or Hybrid: Eternal Whisper

1. Caligo Chaser

14 vote(s)
    51.9%
  2. Hybrid

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  3. I can't choose--Instead I've swallowed a poison pill.

11 vote(s)
    40.7%
  1. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    It had to be done, didn't it? :p

I've played Hybrid, and liked it, although I found it too hard to pull off the special combos. I've been thinking of getting Caligo Chaser, but I feel like I need to know specifically how it measures up to Hybrid.

So please have at it!

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    This is a tough one, because Hybrid really polarized the iDevice gaming community. A lot of people enjoyed it as a great mash-up of a SF-style fighting game and an RPG; others (including me) felt like it failed badly in both genres. I've put a couple of hours into Caligo Chaser already, and, besides some control clunkiness (shared by Hybrid), it strikes me as the perfect light RPG, with tons of progression and customization, an okay story, short quests tailor made for mobile gaming, fast-travel-based exploration, and very decent graphics. The combat is nowhere near as complex as Hybrid's, but it's not just simple-minded button mashing either.

I'm sure someone who really loves Hybrid will step in a make the opposite case, so I'm not sure how helpful this thread will be for you ;).

3. Khamous

Khamous Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2009
    f*** the poison was real!

Sorry I really can't pick, I loved the button mashing of Hybrid even though people though it was too complex. CC has less weird combo combinations, which works for some people, but compensates with the variesty of skills.

Both have control problems needed to get used to, although Hybrid's are more consistent (and the have to be otherwise those sequences would be impossible to do), but lacks in the replay that last level category, relying in the infinite levels place for replay value. CC on the other side has nice replayability of maps and I like that levels are divided into parts and you need to strategize to keep your combo high (highest for me to far was 200 ish) but it also gives you a bar for you to know when your combo is gonna fade and gives you plenty ways to refill it.

I really can't choose, both have stuff to overcome, but both are awesome titles.

4. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    I'd rather break my iPod than play that crap.

5. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

I suggest Caligo Chaser and Vanquish by Gamevil.
    I stopped playing Hybrid because I couldn't take the non-scrolling screen anymore. Each "stage" is just one screen, with a loading bar. It cuts down the action significantly.

Go and break it then. Like anyone cares about it or your post.
    What a troll.

6. medianotzu

Nov 21, 2009
    Oh yeah, I actually got Vanquish for a buck when it was on sale and just forgot about it. :) I played a bit but need more time to get used to the movement of the camera, which seems to be the big issue everyone has with that game, but I believe (hope) it probably just takes some getting used to.

Good stuff guys (except for the "break my iPod" comment). Thanks for the comments.

7. Zolty

Zolty Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2010
    Lol :D

8. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    I'm a troll? How bout you get your shit out of here..Jesus Christ.

9. blake

blake Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2010
    Someone gets abused.

10. medianotzu

Nov 21, 2009
    Guys, please, I'm looking for opinions on which game is better and why. Please take the aggro display somewhere less public.

11. mattll

mattll Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2009
    bavaria
    i bought hybrid
    and i loved it
    it was a nice game with great gameplay, combos and it was just a lot of fun
    then i tested caligo chser as a beta tester
    and IMO it is better than hybrid
    hybrid is just static and linear ( you cant replay levels )
    although the story line is linear you can decide which level you want to play
    and the looks of your character changes if you take new clothes

here a short summary

-grafic
    1:0 caligo chaser
    -fights
    1:1
    -customization
    2:1
    -gameplay
    3:1
    -controls
    4:2

so in the end i would say caligo chaser is more fun

12. Eduku

Eduku Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    London
    Yeah I would score that in exactly the same way. The complexity in the combat system in Hybrid was it's main appeal to me, but apart from bad controls, CC outdoes it in all the other departments.