average of in app purchase?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by pinkandpurple, Aug 19, 2011.

1. pinkandpurple

pinkandpurple Well-Known Member

May 19, 2011
    Secretary
    Is there an average conversion of in app purchase?

Say a million people download how many would probably buy in app purchase for an adulty sort of game?

2. P.T.

P.T. Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Depends on which game
    More people will likely download new map packs on nova 2
    Than people will buy skin packs on pocket god

3. pinkandpurple

May 19, 2011
    Secretary
    There is only 1 in app purchase

4. pinkandpurple

May 19, 2011
    Secretary
    Numbers

I am looking for numbers really

How many out of a million would probably buy an in app purchase?

5. BravadoWaffle

BravadoWaffle Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Designer
    There is no average conversion rate for an in app purchase. It depends on the game and the in app purchase. If you do want a number, even at best, you are looking at perhaps 5% of your total users purchasing something in the game.

6. pinkandpurple

May 19, 2011
    Secretary
    That is good enough for me.
    That would be 1 million dollars then:D

7. BravadoWaffle

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Designer
    I like your maths.

8. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    reminds me of the beheaded chicken that ran around in circles on my grandparents farm courtyard after it slipped out of the hand of my granny after she chopped its head of...

and of course the answere is 1!

9. helioxfilm

helioxfilm Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2008
    game designer
    Budapest, Hungary
  10. BravadoWaffle

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Designer
    #10 BravadoWaffle, Aug 19, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
    I found those charts very very interesting when they came out a while back. Basically, they are saying the money is in high priced consumables. Looks like if a user is willing to spend money in the game, they will usually go big.

This makes sense, especially since the average casual gamer these days is rounding 30+ years of age. They've got credit cards and are happy to spend money on something they like.

It's articles like this that tell me that paid gaming is going to die and F2P is the way to go: http://fbindie.posterous.com/if-only-1-in-400-of-your-downloaders-make-an

11. helioxfilm

Nov 25, 2008
    game designer
    Budapest, Hungary
    Yes... I read Nick Lowell's book as well, and he has strong arguments supporting to "going free". If you check the Zombie Gunship IAP statistics, not the 0.99 is the most popular pack... That tells a lot.

12. blitter

blitter Well-Known Member

That would take some doing. Perhaps go with paid and an IAP, like Real Racing 2 who offer crap drivers lots of virtual cash so they can 'buy' a super car and smash it up because they didn't earn it!

13. pinkandpurple

May 19, 2011
    Secretary
    OF couse Freemium will take over the world

Its only people had no choice but buy console games before mobile and IOS came along and the Freemium model.

14. Astraware

Astraware Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Games Studio
    UK
    #14 Astraware, Aug 22, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
    Indeed. A lot of the freemium info out there shows that where you have consumable packs at multiple levels from 99c up, you might sell a lot of units at 99c, but you'll actually make greater revenue over time from the smaller number of unit sales, but at higher prices e.g. 1000 x 99c = $990 versus 50 x $29.99 = $1499.50.

There's also info out there that shows players who buy consumables tend not to buy the cheapest pack, but more often go for a middle level price point. If you want to sell at $4.99, try putting in 99c, $2.99, $4.99, $14.99 and $29.99. You'll also find some people who will buy the larger pack at the higher price.

15. pinkandpurple

May 19, 2011
    Secretary
    Spock

Where is the logic of people not wanting to pay over 99 cents for a game and then go spending 3, 4, 5, 9 dollars on upgrades?

To be honest the 99 cents has been engrained into people as in brainwashing.

16. helioxfilm

Nov 25, 2008
    game designer
    Budapest, Hungary
    #16 helioxfilm, Aug 22, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
    I think the logic is valid for the loyal customers/players, who does like the game and for example want to go much faster just to win or be the best.

17. thomalex89

thomalex89 Member

Aug 13, 2010
    My only concern with the freeium way of doing things is the ongoing fight with Lodsys as a developer I would not want to be sued, but there are bunches of people still offering freeium games.

18. Emeric

Emeric Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2010
    You can do some "average" math from the numbers you find on the blogs, but in the end it really depends of the game and its design.

A friend who's publishing iPhone games told me that compared to facebook games the percentage of people buying iAP is much higher on iPhone. On facebook it's like 2%, and he told me most games in his portfolio were around 4-5% but he had a few going up to 12%.

19. michaeladamkatz

Feb 11, 2009
    Yes, to say something that has been said in many places but is worth repeating: it's not just a question of the percentage of free users who go on to make at least one in-app purchase. It's about what the average in-app purchaser who likes the game is able to spend. Make sure people who are willing to spend a lot *can* spend a lot (consumables or lots of choices for non-consumables).